• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Just got a brand new lemon

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got an Pietta 1860 snub nose from Taylor. beautifully made but has undersize nipples just like a remington Pietta I got from cabelas. I talked to the guy at taylors for 10 minutes saying no 10 caps fall off. he says pinch them I said I will not. I told him I got replacement nipples from Trac of the wolf for the Remmy and the no 10 caps fit perfect. now I have to do it for this colt. he would not budge. so I have to get nipples from TOW. I wonder if anybody else has this problem with new piettas
I purchased the Pietta Sheriff Model a month or so back 44 cal it’s a Colt with short barrel. I replaced the nipples with SlixShots which I do by default. I fired 18 rounds out of it using the factory nipples using Remington No 10s. The caps do fit a bit loser on the stock nipples compared to the slixShots. Though not like what you describe. Probably a undersized lot of nipples got by. Many do pinch the nipples so I guess some what common problem. Since I have always used slixshots I do recommend them; caps fit perfectly nice and tight.but I’m sure the track and tresco nipples will fit the bill. It’s all cool stuff to me

I purchased the Pietta Sheriff Model a month or so back 44 cal it’s a Colt with short barrel. I replaced the nipples with SlixShots which I do by default. I fired 18 rounds out of it using the factory nipples using Remington No 10s. The caps do fit a bit loser on the stock nipples compared to the slixShots. Though not like what you describe. Probably a undersized lot of nipples got by. Many do pinch the nipples so I guess some what common problem. Since I have always used slixshots I do recommend them; caps fit perfectly nice and tight.but I’m sure the track and tresco nipples will fit the bill. It’s all cool stuff to me
what annoyed me was Taylor who one guy on this thread had great service would not budge at all when I told him I have to buy new nipples for a new gun

All if Uberti's older craftsman died during the pandemic. Cimmerron has 20,000 guns on backorder. Get used to things never going back to the way they were.

Wow! Do you have a citation for that? That is terrible!
Yeah, does anyone have a source for this info? I can't find anything. Uberti's web site seems to be business as usual, announcements about new products, no hint of that sort of problem. Is this accurate, or just some sort of "COVID myth"?

I don't know why people apparently expect every nipple to work perfectly with every brand of the particular size cap they might put on it. Seems kind of unreasonable to me since there's definitely dimensional variance across the various brands of caps.

I've found that usually you can adjust the nipple itself either by filing the cone down a bit (to achieve a slightly tighter fit) or sanding/filing the cone contour (often using the aid of an electric drill or drill press to turn the nipple for you) in order to achieve a fit to a slightly smaller cap. I just switched over to #10 caps (from the standard #11) for my Crockett .32 rifle and did that by filing/sanding down the cone contour, and it works like a charm. Definitely not the first nipple I've had to "adjust" in this manner to work well with a particular size/brand of cap. I've done the same for revolver caps.

I have 10 or so reproduction black powder revolvers, from both Pietta and Uberti. I have never replaced the nipples on any of them. Remington #10s work great on all of them.

Maybe he should come load it for you too?

Mike
maybe you should mind your own business tough guy. I spent 430 for the gun now another 40 bucks for nipples
I have 10 or so reproduction black powder revolvers, from both Pietta and Uberti. I have never replaced the nipples on any of them. Remington #10s work great on all of them.
OK I will send you the new ones from my pietta and you send me yours lol

what annoyed me was Taylor who one guy on this thread had great service would not budge at all when I told him I have to buy new nipples for a new gun
I have more than a few Uberties and one pietta purchased over the years from various vendors. I’ve only had one that actually worked out of the box. Mostly all timing issues even the one that worked the Pietta started locking up after a few rounds followed by me breaking the bolt and noticing how the cam on the hammer was getting marred from the few times I cycled the hammer. Back a few years ago they were more affordable and I didn’t mind having to tweek them to get them to work. I learned a lot and think they are very cool. But now I’m tired of that and very annoyed with the soft cam on the hammer. I bought a new bolt and hammer. The hammer with the soft cam is going to the Smith to replace the cam and get the rest of the gun made race ready. I’ve replaced the hand with a KristKonverter hand which is superior in quality to the garbage Ubertie and Pietta use also the nipples. This new hand is ballistic It has two steps and works out of the bag but I took down the second hand, the revolver likes it better. That hand will last forever. Bottom line as beautiful as these revolvers are you have to throw money or put work into them to get them really in the game. They are a blast to shoot literally and figuratively LOL. I do agree the nipples sound whacked. Maybe send it back sometime s it’s who you talk to. Both Taylors and Dixie do warranty work.

Well, it's not necessarily the cam's fault . . . or at least all of it. The bolt arm was sliding off the side of the cam (which it isn't supposed to do) and the way too heavily tensioned bolt spring made it all happen faster!! So, set up correctly, the bolt only needs about 4 lbs of tension (not 9 or 10), and the bolt arm should fall off the front of the cam (not slide off the side). Once things are put more to the designed setup rather than just to pass a function test, add a little grease and it will last long enough for your kids kids!

Mike

Well, it's not necessarily the cam's fault . . . or at least all of it. The bolt arm was sliding off the side of the cam (which it isn't supposed to do) and the way too heavily tensioned bolt spring made it all happen faster!! So, set up correctly, the bolt only needs about 4 lbs of tension (not 9 or 10), and the bolt arm should fall off the front of the cam (not slide off the side). Once things are put more to the designed setup rather than just to pass a function test, add a little grease and it will last long enough for your kids kids!

Mike
Agree the bolt was very rigid I didn’t realize how rigid it was until I tried ever so lightly to bend the arm. I snapped it. Lesson learned I should have asked some one like you or other. Probably should have heated it to soften it up but I have adjusted them before and never broke one. I purchased two replacements always a good idea to have one in stock I guess or so many say. I have spoken with others who replace the cam with a cam that is hardened. This cam is very soft. Interesting I did not know the cam was replaceable but Taylors has the pn for them item 56 if I recall VTI does not sell or show the cam as a purchase item. I did not bother ordering it probably on back order for eternity lol being the Smith I’m using replaces them at request or if needed when he slicks up the revolver. Thanks for the reply!

IMHO, if you are selling guns you should retain the services of a qualified gunsmith to inspect all firearms one sells. They can afford it, and it is the right thing to do.
Keep a smith on retainer and every time a new shipment comes in, go over the weapons received.

No, Midway, Zanders, Dixie etc. etc. are not gunsmiths with intimate knowledge of every firearm from modern to whatever that they sell, they would not know how to fix a short arbor or care. They are distributors and nothing more. They get firearms in boxes, sometimes on pallets and they get put on the shelf and when someone orders one the box gets shipped out and in almost all cases never opened.

If you want something different either buy from someone different (and pay a higher price) or buy from them and don't open the box, just ship it to someone like 45D who specializes in that model and have it fine tuned. There is a reason guns from them are price competitive and that is they spend as little time as possible handling them.

As someone who knows, people i.e. labor costs are probably their largest cost of doing business. There is a reason Midway does not have a showroom.

I am sorry you had problems with your order and I hope they make it right, but they are only a distributor.

The comment about the short arbor causing inherent issues is correct. I had to correct short arbors on my Ubertis. You can do it a couple of different ways, but the guns improve noticeably when the arbor bottoms out correctly. This is a design issue and seems to plague many of the Uberti cap and ball revolvers.

The two Uberti Colt Navies I bought (a '51 and a '61) turned into great shooters after fixing the issue. My '62 Pocket Police improved somewhat but had chronic cap jams even with Slix Shots, Cap rake, etc. I know of a couple other people who had the same problem with the '62 Pocket Police.

Beyond that, the buyer must beware of quality control between individual examples of a particular model, and then I think certain models tend to be better reproduced than others (the Navies seem to be better done than the Pocket Police). The comment about the buyer becoming a part of the quality control chain is quite true. The short arbor issue can be fixed and the buyer should probably expect to deal with it at this point. But there are some guns they produce that have issues beyond just the arbor, and occasionally you hit one (I did - not fun).

I do the same so all my percussions run on 11s.
This way I don’t waste a range day because no one has any 10s
I’ve long been in the habit of picking up a few extra tins whenever I saw a good price on caps. I continued that practice when the pandemic became real. I’m still using 10’s on revolvers, 11’s on rifles and musket caps for certain rifles. I’m just hoping Remington resumes production soon.

I had a similar fubar with eBay . . .. .

In the end, they embezzled $12 from me.

Never again, will they see me!
eBay didn't make it good? Couldn't get your money back from your credit card?
I just had a thing with eBay and it was effortless to get my $75 back. Did it take a few days? Yes. Other than waiting it was painless.

Last edited:
In one instance I needed a magazine for an unmentionable. The factory - not Midway - had put it in the wrong package. Midway sent the 'correct' one based on the manufacturer's label. I called Midway and a customer service person worked with me and sent a replacement whose package matched the contents. I asked them what I should do with the first one they sent. They said I could just keep it cuz it didn't make sense to pay return shipping on a $35 dollar item. I re-labeled it and sold it at a gun show. It was nice they did this but they weren't obligated - I was waiting for the 'Sorry, but you'll have to contact the manufacturer'.

I know this doesn't equate with the value of the OP's firearm, but it's still customer service.

I had a very similar experience. Was not Midways fault and the manufacturer made it right and also did not want the incorrect part back.

I have sent other things back and got a refund no questions asked.

I definitely will buy from them again.

Back