• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Just finished my first Flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That there is a Sweeeeeet rifle! :thumbsup:
Love the carving! Great job! :hatsoff: :bow: :hatsoff:

Not bad for 9 months working. :grin:
pegesus59,that's a beautiful well made rifle.Great work. :bow: :bow:
Is it still a virgin?Let us know how it shoots.
:hatsoff:

Wow! What a beautiful job.

I do think the glossiness of the finish takes away from the beauty of the rifle. I would steel wool it, ever so slightly.

That does my heart good to know you are going shoot a gun that looks that nice.Buyem"makeem" to useem is my thinking.

Simply outstanding! Very nice job on the carving and inlays, you are an inspiration for us soon to be builders!

Holy Smokes, if thats your first build, I can't wait ta see the second one! Outstanding work. You certainly have the skills.

Pegesus,

That is an awesome rifle! I'm very impressed. Enjoy shooting it. I imagine that it will shoot as sweet as it looks. Great job! :)

Darryl

absolutely beautiful. I have always had a thing for blondes. Dont tell my wife she brunett. :rotf:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :applause: :applause:
Awesome rifle... great look so shoot it and let see the holes... Good job, be proud..My best regards a loyalistdawg

I have just finished my .54 Caliber 1790's Style Virginia Flintlock Rifle. I started on it in April 2006 when I bought the stock and furniture from Jack Garner at Tennessee Valley Manufacturing, in Corinth Mississippi. The stock is a Premium Plus Curly Maple (appx. 35 to 60% curl)that wound up with about 75% curl when finished that Jack rough shaped(80%) and inletted Barrel and Ramrod channels for me. The rest of the shaping I did myself. I have about 250 hours in it. I did all the relief carving, line carving, 5 1/2 feet of German Silver and Brass wire inlay, all the brass and German silver inlays. I also did all the engraving on the Brass and Silver myself, except for the sideplate and Silver Oval. Larry Crow (my mentor, did the engraving of the side plate and Silver oval on the bottom for me). Larry has been building Black Powder rifles for about 30 years. I cut out and shaped the sliding wooden patch box. It has a Durrs Egg Flintlock (using French Amber Flints) and an L&R double set Trigger. The barrel is a 42 inch Greene Mountain Octagon barrel with a 1:60 twist. The barrel (Draw Filed and Sanded down to a 600 grit finished) and lock hve 8 coats of Laurel Mountain Browning, finished with 2 coats of hand rubbed linseed oil. The rifle stock was hand sanded starting with 100 grit sandpaper, and working down to 240 grit, then Wiskered the stock 5 times starting with 320 grit paper, and working down to 600 grit, then staining with a Chromium Trioxide finish that has heated with a heat gun, and then neutralized with a baking soda solution. Finally finishing the stock with 10 hand rubbed coats of Birchwood Casey's Tru Oil, that was smoothed with 4-X steel wool in between each coat. I finally finished it on January 3rd, 2007.
I am going to leave all the Brass and Silver hardware polished to a high shine, and leave the Stock Shiny also. It will be my Rendezvous competition Smokin Pole. I'm sure that it will get a lot of attention!
This is the First Gun I have ever built, and I am proud of it and would like to show it off and get a few opinions of it.
Can anyone explain to me how I should go about posting some pictures for you to see?

Latest posts

Back