• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Just finished my first Flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pegesus59

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have just finished my .54 Caliber 1790's Style Virginia Flintlock Rifle. I started on it in April 2006 when I bought the stock and furniture from Jack Garner at Tennessee Valley Manufacturing, in Corinth Mississippi. The stock is a Premium Plus Curly Maple (appx. 35 to 60% curl)that wound up with about 75% curl when finished that Jack rough shaped(80%) and inletted Barrel and Ramrod channels for me. The rest of the shaping I did myself. I have about 250 hours in it. I did all the relief carving, line carving, 5 1/2 feet of German Silver and Brass wire inlay, all the brass and German silver inlays. I also did all the engraving on the Brass and Silver myself, except for the sideplate and Silver Oval. Larry Crow (my mentor, did the engraving of the side plate and Silver oval on the bottom for me). Larry has been building Black Powder rifles for about 30 years. I cut out and shaped the sliding wooden patch box. It has a Durrs Egg Flintlock (using French Amber Flints) and an L&R double set Trigger. The barrel is a 42 inch Greene Mountain Octagon barrel with a 1:60 twist. The barrel (Draw Filed and Sanded down to a 600 grit finished) and lock hve 8 coats of Laurel Mountain Browning, finished with 2 coats of hand rubbed linseed oil. The rifle stock was hand sanded starting with 100 grit sandpaper, and working down to 240 grit, then Wiskered the stock 5 times starting with 320 grit paper, and working down to 600 grit, then staining with a Chromium Trioxide finish that has heated with a heat gun, and then neutralized with a baking soda solution. Finally finishing the stock with 10 hand rubbed coats of Birchwood Casey's Tru Oil, that was smoothed with 4-X steel wool in between each coat. I finally finished it on January 3rd, 2007.
I am going to leave all the Brass and Silver hardware polished to a high shine, and leave the Stock Shiny also. It will be my Rendezvous competition Smokin Pole. I'm sure that it will get a lot of attention!
This is the First Gun I have ever built, and I am proud of it and would like to show it off and get a few opinions of it.
Can anyone explain to me how I should go about posting some pictures for you to see?

Sounds like a purdy rifle. I would love to see it, so here are some simple instructions on how to post photos.

Go here http://photobucket.com/ and create an account.

After you verify the account (simple email confirmation sort of thing). Log in and right in front of you there should be something for you to add pictures.

Just click the browse button and find the picture you want to add. After that click the upload button. After the photo is uploaded, there will be three tags under the picture, copy the one labeled IMG Code and past it into your text. When you click the post button it should load the image into your post. You can also click the Preview button at the bottom of the page to make sure it worked before you add your post (helps to save yourself from embarrassment :redface: ).

Something to remember, if you delete the photo from photobucket or any other photo hosting site, it will delete it from this forum as well.

I hope this helps,
Frost

Thanks Frost. :hatsoff: I'm was in the middle of downloading the pictures to photobucket when you replyed. Here they are. I hope everyone enjoys them.
patchbox.jpg

lock.jpg

openpatchbox.jpg

fullleftside.jpg

Cheekpiece.jpg

entrythimble.jpg

comb.jpg

Oldmanandhisgun.jpg

Frost said:
Sounds like a purdy rifle.
I hope this helps,
Frost

Need some help too, Frost.
Could you be so kind to explain a stupid kraut what "purdy" means?
Can´t find a translation for it. :cursing:

Thanks

romeoh

romeoh said:
Frost said:
Sounds like a purdy rifle.
I hope this helps,
Frost

Need some help too, Frost.
Could you be so kind to explain a stupid kraut what "purdy" means?
Can´t find a translation for it. :cursing:

Thanks

romeoh
Purdy is like pretty,but this gun goes way beyond that.This gun is outstanding!!!Awesome gun pegesus59 :hatsoff:

Thank you!
And you´re right. It´s more than just pretty. :hatsoff:
My first selfmade still lies ahead of me but I am sure I wouldn´t be able to build a gun like this in my first trial.

romeoh

I just threw my first in the trash!! Man, that has got to be the purdiest rifle I've ever seen. :bow: :bow: :hatsoff: ,,,Bud

My 54 has 10 coats of hand rubbed Tru oil, that I smoothed with 4X steel wool between each coat.

awww, don't be so depressed! it's yer first try at buildin.....next one will be better,,,ah shoot, :rotf: thats bleepin purdy! nice job! :thumbsup: RC

:bow: Man I am still getting my breath back---God bless your hands and mind---that is one of the most beautiful guns I have seen in a lifetime. That is a gun I would absolutely hate to take into the woods let alone shoot. Kinda reminds me of my Bamboo fly-rod that I had made 30+ years back---my son always says "I never see you use that rod ", my only answer is "it's yours when I pass on---let me know how many times you used it when we meet again". Real proud to know of your work and thanks for sharing, take pride in your work. :applause: :hatsoff:

That rifle is a work of art! :applause: :applause: :applause:

The only thing bad about it: it's too "purdy" to shoot! :grin:

Capt. William

The boys at the Rondy are going to be drooling instead of shooting! :shocked2: :bow: :bow:
That's simply... Stunning. And that's your first build? (He says as he drags his feet back into his hole shaking his head and wondering at the work of art he just saw)

I want to thank all of you who have posted comments. This is my first build, and I am going to shoot it. We go to 4 rendezvous' a year. The first will be at Old Greenville, Mo. in April, the second is at Trail of Tears State Park in Jonesboro, Il. in May, Then Saint Joe State Park, in Farmington, Mo. in Early September, and the last is Lucky Clover near Rolla, Mo., at the end of September. All are great Rendezvous' for anyof you that may want to attend. All are non-juryed, Family Friendly. All have good Shoots, and good company. Hopefully, it will shoot as good as it looks. Thanks again for the praise. Robert Scatter Creek Traders, Paragould, Arkansas

Back