• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Just bought a new cannon!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grizzdude

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi, guys hows it going? New here and I just bought my first mini cannon barrel. I was wondering how do I go about safely firing this thing? I figure I should use fffg power but how many gr should I start at and work up to? What size ball sould I fire out of it, can I even fire projectiles out of this? The barrel is steel 12 3/4" long, 3/4" barrel (actual measured .740 ", the trunnions are 3/4" and ball on back is 3/4". The band width at the back is 1 3/4" and the barrel weighs around 6lbs. Thanks guys

2w5oazd.jpg

2ry6pa1.jpg

23aeyr.jpg

Ball size = Powder charge.

1/2" ball = .50 cal = 50grains
3/4" ball = .75 cal = 75grains...

Work up from there.

I got a lot of information by calling the cannon barrel manufacturer.
After watching the cannon accident on TV's Mythbusters I've stayed away from firing iron cannon balls. If you are going to fire a projectile I'd find something else. Unless you have a very large open field. The cannon ball's spherical shape makes them carom or ricochet too easily.

Until you have it mounted on a proper carrige do not even think about firing it. If you want to fire a projectile, make sure your carrige has a proper adjusting wedge or screw.
Granulation of powder is not critical. Amount you use can be critical.
A ball fired from that thing can carry a great distance. Fire only into a proper backstop.

should I fire 5/8" lead balls out of it since the actual inside of barrel measures .740"? Does the ball need to be closely matched the barrel diameter and if so by how much?

I use 715 ball remember cannon one dosent patch the ball
Now mind you this is my suggestion i wouldnt fire it untill you have it mounted in a carriage

I wanted to strap it real good to a 4x4 piece of wood and then strap that to a tire, just to test fire at max load so it wouldn't blow up any potential carriage that I install it in. I'd hate to ruin a nice new carriage.

i don't shoot any cannon of unknown materials unless the barrel wall is equal to the bore and there is twice that between the bottom of the tube and the exterior of the breech.

I have a cast steel signal cannon in 75 cal and fire lead balls out of it with a 1/2 fibre wad beneath the ball. aimed it about 10 degrees above level and fired it over the Missouri river at Ft Mandan ND, never hit the water till it traveled about a quarter mile and it skipped like a rock almost all the way across the river.

I purchased a similar signal cannon but it's 10" long. 50 caliber with 1" barrel. My barrel is thicker than the one in the pic. I am currently building the carriage. What type of fuse should I get for it?

probably just use the 1/8" fuse if that's your fuse hole size. I find the stuff online for about $7 for 50-60 feet of the stuff. I made a carriage for mine but still need to get some black powder to have a show down.

Hay Bob you would never get a cannon like that from me it looks dangerous is the powder chamber reduced it should be 1/3 saying if the bore is .75 cal the od should be 2.250 thats why the NSSA has that for a minimum for safety reason their are many fatal cannon accidents from that. I know it,s been a long time getting your out the door for various factors but i would never make such a dangerous product.If your interested in a Parrot cannon keep me in mind you,ll have your probably by the end of next week the cannon is done just waiting on your confirmation on the trunnions. Also a Parrot would look a lot better on that swivel stand you got than the naval your getting she would look great on a naval carriage and i can make some nice brass wheels for it also check em out below OK but they'll be brass and have a strait step inside but will have the holes. Also pictured is a 25" by 2.5" 1045 cr steel perfect for a parrot cannon thats .75
1958182_10201556612662527_1214137138_n.jpg

1743452_10201556597622151_99688808_n.jpg

Thanks Austin

Back