• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Just a show of hands, how many make their own ammution?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lead doesn’t “fume” as easily as what people think. And I don’t look at casting as time wasted, any more than cleaning a firearm is wasted time- it’s part of the sport, and I find it cathartic. It also frees you up from shortages- you can always make just what you need. That being said, I also buy projectiles when I can. Got my first rifle when I was 12, but didn’t start casting for 20 years. Been casting 23 years. Rounds and Minies. “Boy! It’s a great day to go shooting- think I’ll cast up some balls” said nobody ever!

Yes, I'm a caster as well. Have been at it since 1997. I use an old soldering iron furnace, sit a small cast iron pot and use a ladle.

Been casting since I got my first muzzle loader back in the early 70's. Started with an old pot on a Coleman camp stove. Latter I got a Lee lead furnace. Currently I mould 50 cal. round ball and TC Maxi and .45 round ball. I've managed to accumulate about 150 pounds of pure lead so I figure I'm set for awhile.

Well, it’s an individual choice. I always enjoyed casting but my wife was always concerned about the toxic effects of lead. I didn’t fight her on this issue as it was the only time she ever gave me a hard time about any part of my shooting hobby including reloading, collecting, hunting, fishing, shooting, on and on. It helps she likes to shoot and is a life NRA member. In my opinion, not casting was a small trade off for 50 years of peace.

Well, it’s an individual choice. I always enjoyed casting but my wife was always concerned about the toxic effects of lead. I didn’t fight her on this issue as it was the only time she ever gave me a hard time about any part of my shooting hobby including reloading, collecting, hunting, fishing, shooting, on and on. It helps she likes to shoot and is a life NRA member. In my opinion, not casting was a small trade off for 50 years of peace.
Peace is good. So is knowledge. Lead doesn't vaporize into the air until closer to 1100 degrees f. Casting at 700-800 no lead in air, lots of heat and fumes from flux. Need exhaust fans even in the garage.

I cast outside so I'm not worried too much about the fumes. I figure the lead paint I'm around in my job as a contractor is more of a lead problem than casting a few bullets.

Time is a precious commodity. I'd rather spend time shooting than inhaling lead fumes. Read a post here yesterday that said a certain RB could be bought for 14 cents each. If you made your own the lead cost was 8 cents. Amortize the cost of the casting equipment & you are saving nothing for the first few thousand rounds. Hardly worth it, IMHO. I understand that some enjoy that part of our passtime & am not criticizing those that do. It's just not for me.

What he ^ said.

Peace is good. So is knowledge. Lead doesn't vaporize into the air until closer to 1100 degrees f. Casting at 700-800 no lead in air, lots of heat and fumes from flux. Need exhaust fans even in the garage.
Correct, knowledge is good but in this case with young kids and a wife with “emotional” convictions....discretion is better then honor!

Back