• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Jukar45 cal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loren

32 Cal.
Reaction score
What can you guys tell me about the Jukar 45 cal percussion made in Spain with 33" barrel and full lenth stock.

They are generally good entry level rifles. They can be very good shooters also. They'll take a .440 cal ball and pillow ticking patch along with maybe 45-50 gr FFFG black powder. A long time ago the kit sold for $79.00.

They are fun rifles to learn on. The percussion locks are fair. The early flintlocks were poor. The stock is probably going to be a two piece job with a brass spacer. But don't let that deter you. They can be had fairly inexpensively. :hmm:

$200 if it is in excellent shape.....250 would be to much for me.....
A new Traditions Kentucky is about $400

I wouldn't buy a gun that old without inspecting the condition first. the barrel is the real prize.

That was my first ML a kit purchased in 1975 .I put it together ,very little work involved,good shooter(i know some local guys that used to buy them for just the barrels for use in Chunk Guns,not a lot of stuff available back then)would make a good hunter for you, worst thing about them is the two piece stock as far as looks.

Clyde any idea what a good condition .36 cal Seneca is worth. It is in an auction I am going to and is listed as a Lyman. Hope the usual crazy people with more money than brains are not there.

Larry

Value also depends on your area. Some areas have allot of used ones so of coarse are cheaper than an area with few. If in good shape I think $200 isn't out of line but I wouldn't want to pay more than that without reason. Offer less like $150. They usually aren't a hot item so often they will take less. Like stated it is a good entry level gun and many people including myself started with one. In fact I still have the one I started on. Fun little guns to shoot.

Another question, is it a kit or factory finished gun? If a kit, how good is the workmanship?

larry wv said:
Clyde any idea what a good condition .36 cal Seneca is worth. It is in an auction I am going to and is listed as a Lyman. Hope the usual crazy people with more money than brains are not there.

Larry
No! but I can tell you that Track of the wolf sold them for $219.00 brand new in 1983

And being a 36 caliber makes it more valuable than a 45 in which it was also offered ...IMO

I rarely see one for sale (but I live in a hole) if that means anything.

The price you might pay would depend on the overall condition. I'd check it to see if it was unloaded. Then I'd run a patch down the barrel, then maybe drop a bore light down to check for pitting. I'd ask if it was a kit gun or factory made rifle. I would also ask to look at the back side of the lock to see if it has a bridle over the tumbler. The bridled lock was a better lock. Check to see if there is a fly in the tumbler too. Look at the face of the hammer to see if it is hitting squarely on the cap and nipple.

Check the rifle to see if it fits you. If the rifle looks decent to you I would start with an offer of $175-$200.00. If the owner tosses in some extra stuff, I'd go a little higher maybe.

When the kits sold for $79.00, that was back in the late 1960's and early 1970's. A factory finished rifle was about $35-$40.00 more. But that was a long time ago... :hmm:

It's going to be at a local auction house so I can eye ball it. They are rare around here so the 400 price wouldn't surprise me. But I will keep my hands in my pockets and eyes averted if it gets in that range. There is also a .50 cal Mountain rifle in the same sale. I will slobber on it before the auction starts also. :) Sorry for the hijack Rifle 57

Larry

Hey guys thanks for all of the reply's I saw one on GB that looks like it is in real good condition and I put a bid on it and we will see what happens.
Loren

I see very few at the gun show here but they usually run around $400 for mediocre condition. About the same price as the better made T/C and Lymans so I guess they just hope people won't know the difference. A pawn shop here used to have them for $125-175 all day long but no longer carry the older guns they used to, just the black weapons so I quit going there. I don't know of any gun shops here that deal with used MLs.

I just refinished one myself with the help of these fellas. It's a fun one. Nothing fancy, but it is pretty accurate and there are a lot of replacement parts at Deer Creek Products. If you read back to the post "picked up an old CVS rifle" (misspelled CVA) you'll fond a lot of info there too. Good luck on your bid!

Thanks again for all of the reply's. I don't really need this one but I thought it looked pretty good with the full length stock and barrel and it is a 45 cal also and I do not have one in that cal.

Latest posts

Back