• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Jukar pistol info

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hanger

40 Cal
Reaction score
Was able to pick this up and was curious of info on it. I believe it is a kit gun but not sure. I believe it is .50 cal rifled barrel. Also was able to get the hawk head thrown in. Pipe hawk and believe it is a cast one piece. Any info on these would be great cause it cost me my lunch and beer money for the week.

Attachments

• 347679DB-AAF7-4987-B660-70D7E71BAC00.jpeg
    347679DB-AAF7-4987-B660-70D7E71BAC00.jpeg
    126.8 KB · Views: 90
They tended to be simple in form, but that one is the cleanest I've seen ... so go git her dirty!

Jukar was a company in Spain that was one of the first muzzleloading gun makers exporting them to the US after WW2. Jukars were imported and sold by Dixie Gun Works, Navy Arms, and CVA among others. The Spanish MZL firms Mendi and Jukar merged in 1980 and was then called Dikar, who I believe is now owned by Bergara.

Usually their arms would bear proof marks from the firm Eibar, which I believe was the official proof house for Spain, who has been making arms for 500 years. Apprentices from the gunsmithing trades at Eibar have gone on to have successful careers at prestigious firearm houses like the famous Holland & Holland in the UK.

Hopefully others can add in their 2-cents!

Thanks for the info, I will pick up some round balls this week to test it out. What would be the going rate for this? I have $80 green backs after some BS and dickering.

Pretty dang sure this is a .45. If I remember right it was called a colonial belt pistol from CVA. A quick web search should give you proper cal. but these early guns were almost all in .45.

Last edited:
Thanks, I will double check tonight if it is .45 it doesn’t say caliber on the barrel. I do not own a .50 but will see how a .440 or .454 seats the crown.

I have one in 45 caliber. Mine is a Jukar like yours. Flintlock was correct in that CVA called their version the Colonial Pistol. I paid $50 for mine about 5 years ago. The bore was great but that was it. I refinished the barrel and stock. And I added a new trigger guard and sights. In this current sci-fi reality, I’ve seen them sell for as high as $135. If you paid $85 for the pistol and hawk, as ol “Bear Claw” Lapp said to Jeremiah Johnson, “you done good pilgrim”.

Thanks, will chalk it up as a win. Will take it out this weekend and see how it performs. If she can keep a 3” group at 25yds it will be my dedicated hog trapping gun.

I have had a couple of these. Sold them off to bankroll a revolver.
Not a bad little pistol really but I prefer revolvers. The ones I had shot fairly decent.

Now for $85 for a hawk and a pistol is a real bargain.

I had one as my first black powder pistol in flint and it was 45 and sold it many years ago. I have one now I picked up about 10 years ago and it is also flint and was most likely a kit gun someone built and it is 45 also. I bought that first one around 1974-75. If yours is a 45 it will take a .440 round ball with a fairly thin patch otherwise it will be a bear to load.

@Hanger, you will find a 0.433" ball easier to load than the suggested 0.440" ball. Using a 0.015" thick patch will give slightly better on target accuracy than a 0.440" ball and 0.010" thick patch and help in control of the fouling build up if you use black powder. I prefer the thicker patch with a damp lubrication to prevent gas blow by. You will determine the best load through load development.

Interestingly enough, a guy at work gave me this gun the other day and as I was attempting to take the lock apart, the "pin" on the front of the mainspring broke.
Not to steal a thread but I thought it appropriate because the lock plate on yours looks just like this one. What kind of lock would I call this to search for a new mainspring? It appears to resemble the MS on a Becky lock if I remember correctly.
Any help would be appreciated. This barrel is stamped with what appears to be 12mm? Caliper mic'ed at about 40ish caliber.

Attachments

• 20220521_065955.jpg
    20220521_065955.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 20220520_124307.jpg
    20220520_124307.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 12
DTCoffin, that looks like a Eig Eibar. Spanish pistol that I do not have a lot of info on, I believe .395 RB. Do a search on this site, I posted about this gun not long ago. Not a lot of info about them.

Back