• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

jug choking a barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's a lot on this subject on this forum . . may be able to find it in the search function.

As I recall, it tends to cost about $100 from what I've read.

Lowell Tennyson in Blue Grass, IA has been jug choking for years. I have a number of barrels he has choked that all perform well. Last one was 2-3 years ago; as I recall cost was $60 plus shipping.

My experience has been that there are many people who have had it done, but all the guys that do other than 12 or 20 gauge have either retired from doing it or died. ( or both ).

Does anyone know if Bobby Hoyt does this work?

Considering all the miraculous things he can do with barrels, he should be able to jug choke anything from .22 to Mountain Howitzer in his sleep. :grin:

I had two 12ga barrels choked by Caywood as well. One is on my fowler and shoots a very nice group.

I sold the other barrel to a friend who finished his gun and shot it this week. His response after the first shot "I have never seen a 25 yard target (8 1/2" X 11") with so many shot in it". To say he was pleased was an understatement.

If you have it jug choked an take your time an find what your barrel wants to shoot as far as powder, wadding, shot size, an lubes which takes lots of trial an error then you will have a gun that will give you turkey killing patterns out to 35 yrds or so with shot and 50/60 yrds with a patched ball. Both of mine do very well with either at those ranges. Below is a 12 ga jug choked full by Danny Caywood that I shoot with #4s

wattlebuster said:
If you have it jug choked an take your time an find what your barrel wants to shoot as far as powder, wadding, shot size, an lubes which takes lots of trial an error then you will have a gun that will give you turkey killing patterns out to 35 yrds or so with shot and 50/60 yrds with a patched ball. Both of mine do very well with either at those ranges. Below is a 12 ga jug choked full by Danny Caywood that I shoot with #4s

I'd have mine done in a heartbeat BUT I believe the barrel walls are too thin? Dont have a mic but they look thinish? Standard ol spainish made 20 ga dble barrel :idunno:

Back