• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Jonathan Browning Mountain Rifle question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pb Mark

32 Cal
Reaction score
Does anyone have an idea about how many of these percussion ML rifles are still alive and kicking?

I bought one maybe ten years ago new in box but forgot that I had it. I started researching and it appears that they are obsolete, and any parts needed down the road might leave it stranded. Beginning to move forward with selling it. Am I stupid or do you think it is a good move selling it?
I've been shooting a Lyman Great Plains kit for a very long time, and it's never let me down.

I asked TOTW today if any parts were still available. The main spring is supposed to be very expensive to replace if it breaks. I am not a home gunsmith like some people on this forum, just a person who likes to shoot them and remain fascinated at the accuracy of a little round ball launched from a ML barrel. Love the ML shooting and that is about the sum of it. Does anyone have an opinion concerning keeping a JB going if used only for high volume target use?

Welcome to the Muzzleloading Forum!

These rifles were heavily advertised by Browning when they were being made, I think between 1977 and 1983. The total number produced is an object of speculation. Best estimates appear to range from about 10,000 to 15,000, but those figures are really educated guesses. I can't say for sure, but I think it is likely that production ceased because of stiff competition and a saturated market. The late seventies and eighties were a rollicking time for blackpowder gunmakers, and a lot of them only lasted a few years. There is no telling how many Jonathan Browning Mountain Rifles (JBMRs) are still in service. The rifles were built under contract with Browning by a relatively small outfit named Arms Technology, Inc., of Salt Lake City. A lot of people believe that Green River Rifle Works built them, but there is no evidence to support that.

I have never owned one, although I am interested in them. It does appear, from what I have read, that the mainspring is the "weak link" in this rifle. Out of curiosity, I have searched for a source for replacement parts and found very little. Considering the quantity of Jonathan Browning Mountain Rifles that were produced, and the frequency with which this mainspring problem is mentioned, you would think one of the lockmakers (Chambers, L&R, Davis...) would start producing replacement mainsprings, or even a "drop-in" replacement lock. It would seem a lot of those would sell, both to people who have malfunctioning rifles and those who would want a replacement as backup, "just in case."

The Browning website lists no spare parts for them, and I didn't find anything about the JBMR in their "Frequently Asked Questions" section.

However, if I owned the rifle you describe, I would shoot it. They are said to be very accurate and easy to maintain. I don't think shooting it would necessarily reduce its value, unless it was one of the special commemorative versions. I have seen some described as "apparently unfired" selling for about the same as moderately used ones in good shape. JBMRs in pristine condition appear to sell for around two-thirds to half the cost of a new Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken.

These rifles are discussed regularly on this forum, and they occasionally come up for sale in the classifieds. If you do a search (look in the upper right corner of your screen for the "Search" function), you'll find they are mentioned pretty often. A lot of the fellows here seem to have experience with them.

Again, if the rifle were mine, I would take it out and give it some fresh air and exercise. I would treat it respectfully, as I do all of my guns, and not let concerns about the possibility of a broken mainspring stop me from enjoying it.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Last edited:
They have a following and some view them as desirable.

For me, I have no interest in them as there are no parts to be had.

If I had one as you, I would sell it and buy one of the new Pedersolis' so I could shoot it and know I could get parts.

If your's breaks, what do you do with it? Kinda hard to sell a non-functioning rifle.

Warden and I bought ours when the first came out. Shot mine for many years, killed maybe 15-16 deer with it and many targets. It may have been the most accurate M/L "Hawken type" rifle I ever owned. One day, I sighted in on a doe maybe 20 yards away, pulled the hammer back ...mainspring broke.

By that time, all JBMR parts had been purchased by one guy. New mainspring broke first time I cocked the hammer. Ordered two more. Next one did the same thing. Put in the third replacement and sold the gun. That's been almost 20 years ago and the fellow I ordered parts from said he didn't have many left.

Though it's not a copy of any original, it was one of my favorites. The single set trigger was neat and the barrel had deep rifling. Ours were iron mounted, both 50's.

Unless there are mainsprings available, I would not have another.

Welcome to the Muzzleloading Forum!

These rifles were heavily advertised by Browning when they were being made, I think between 1977 and 1983. The total number produced is an object of speculation. Best estimates appear to range from about 10,000 to 15,000, but those figures are really educated guesses. I can't

Best regards,

Notchy Bob
Where did you get those figures from ? When these rifles were made the headquarters for Browning was in Salt Lake City Utah , My book on the history of Browning says there were 1000 of the presentation grade and 1000 of the standard grade , now this book could be wrong .10,000-15,000 is a big production run for this type of firearm , especially in 1978 when the modern muzzle loading business which we are part of was just getting rolling .
I have googled Arms Technology, Inc., of Salt Lake City and found they have 3 employees then again that could be wrong .
Lock making is a specialized business why not contact all the major lock makers and see if they made the locks under contract .
These rifles were sold in limited numbers all around the World ,

It really is too heavy for me. Going to list it for sale on this site after deciding fair value. I also need (want) a lighter weight long barrel decent flint lock rifle, so a trade is possible too. Need to learn this web site better before doing too much advertising. It is definitely built better than my Lyman. The lock has roller bearings if I remember correctly.

Over the years, I have occasionally looked for information on the web about this rifle. The knowledge here on this site is amazing.

The one thing that I remember researching was that the JBMR and also a shotgun were the only guns that Browning actually "produced in Salt Lake City. Is this fact? I sure don't know for sure.

I'm going to probably advertise here for $800. This is what I paid minus tax and found the receipt in the manual. I have no clue what it will cost me to ship. Basically, I started shooting CAS and have been spending too much money getting set-up for that sport. My wife wants me to sell something if I ever buy a new gun. I bought a sxs shotgun for CAS... I am learning about the JBMR simply because it is sitting in my safe collecting dust.

Does anyone have an idea about how many of these percussion ML rifles are still alive and kicking?
I have two in .54 calibre. One dressed in brass ,the other in steel browned finish. I know of another in my area so that's three . They were very popular after the Jeremiah Johnson film came out.

Sounds like I should keep it and shoot it.

I thank everyone for the knowledge and letting me kick my thoughts around.

Commenting on the post from hawkeye2... I have replaced her microwave twice in the last six months. Seems like the second one at least works okay. They remind me of the guns... older quality craftsmanship is probably worth the little problems such as spare parts. Someone here will know who can file a spring for the JBMR if it ever does break.

My .50 JBMR is the heaviest rifle in my collection. it's a great shooter. Been on the lookout for a clean "iron" .54.

My .50 JBMR is the heaviest rifle in my collection. it's a great shooter. Been on the lookout for a clean "iron" .54.
To lighten my .50 caliber JBMR I had Bobby Hoyt re-bore it to .58. Made a difference in the weight, and it is now my "go to" deer rifle for my first tag. After I get my first deer, I switch to a .58 flint lock for my remaining tags. I get a possible 8 tags per year.

Latest posts

Back