• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Jonathon Browning Mountain Rifle Mainspring

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What’s the going rate for one of these rifles?
I have the opportunity to grab one but $675 seems a little high.

Probably the best factory made ML you can own. Well worth $675
The only drawback is they are slightly heavier than most others

Great Rifles, they set standard when they were introduced. My iron mounted .50 is the heaviest rifle I my collection.

I got my extra mainspring in last week, and my JBMR finally made it in today. I took it as far down as I could (the nipple is seized, going to get my Kroil and let it soak) - the mainspring is very thick and hefty on this gun. Looking at the two springs, the replacement is identical to the original down to a pressed indention on the side.

I fired two caps, and the channel is clear as it will blow a pile of leaves on the ground away. There was a little more corrosion around the drum than the picture shows but I spent the afternoon polishing up the brass, taking the lock apart and cleaning/lubricating it, and going through everything. I have two stainless 1/4-28 nipples on the way.
I would heat up the nipple after the Kroil works for a while. It should come out then. :)

I would heat up the nipple after the Kroil works for a while. It should come out then. :)

Three days of Kroil and it came out without a hitch. The channel and bore are clear. I took a file and worked on the flats followed by 240 grit sand paper, and plum browned where I had bright metal. It turned out pretty good
IMG_20231014_174849068.jpg

Here is the before picture, someone had tried to take the breech plug out not knowing it was silver soldered in. This picture was somewhat flattering, the rounding looked worse in person.
JBMRlock.jpg

Latest posts

Back