• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Joined the dry ball club today!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Recently I was shooting my .54 GPR. I thought "I know what I am doing, I'll never get a dry ball". I was by myself at the range too, alone with my thoughts. I loaded the gun and lifted it up to cap it and just that quick, I thought, I just loaded a ball without powder! Did I?? I don"t remember pouring powder! NO! Yah, I don't know! UUUGH! NO!! So there I sat for a few minutes trying to go over my last actions and figure it out. Then I remember to check it with my ramrod. I slide it down. Yep, too short. SHUCKS!!

So I get to pulling the nipple and sprinkle in some 3F. Put the nipple back, cap it and pull the trigger. POP. Nothing. No smoke, no ball bouncing across the range, nothing. So I cap it again. POP. HUH! Ok so I inserted the ramrod again and it goes all the way to the bottom! NO LOAD, GONE!

This is REALLY strange! The other times I have done this, I always got some smoke, a tiny bit of recoil and a ball going BOOP and bouncing across the ground toward the target. This time, nothing. I blow hard down the barrel and get some smoke coming out the niple so the bore is clear. I just can't figure what happened. I'm sure I rammed a ball down. Obviously there was no powder charge. Somehow it just magically disappeared.

Oh well, it all worked out in the end. I loaded her up right and continued shooting. I think I must have went to Bizarro World for a few minutes. Point is. It can happen to any of us at any time. Pay close attention when working with firearms.

You must have had a close encounter - with the Dry Ball Fairy!

She is, of course, married to the Dry Ball Gremlin🤣

I did it a half dozen times early on. Now I’m super careful, when, like said above, we’re all yakking or when I’m making YouTube videos. I’ve swore to myself the first time I dry ball with the camera rolling the video will immediately become a ‘New Shooter Series’ video.

I can usually get a few grains of 0B in the touchhole. Last time I did it I think I got a grain in. I aimed at a nearby cinder block and “clunk!” It didn’t even chip the concrete. I bet the round ball wasn’t going 100mph.

Back