• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

john p sites arrowrock mo

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know who the maker is but there is still a gunsmith at Arrow Rock that could probably tell you. Iv'e been up up there a couple of times and seen the old shop and talked to the guy. Nice guy and he knows his stuff. I can't remember his name but if you can get ahold of the Arrow Rock Historical Society they can probably give you some contact info. I think Arrow Rock has a websight. Good luck. Dew

Thanks for the info, ive been back and forth with the "friends" of arrowrock for two years. Absolute waste of time, the old guys are all dead and the new ones have little or no knowledge of, or intrest in early firearms. This is a real shame as the wrong people now control the few surviving examples of john p sites work, his home and shop. I believe i have john sites personal rifle and without arrowrock its been difficult to authinticate/appraise.im new here and havent yet learned how to upload pics will do asap

I had a pamplet I picked up from the gunshop that might have the gunsmiths name but I can't find the thing. When I was up there last fall a guy had an original that he was letting the gunsmith check out,even let me shoulder it. If you could somehow get ahold of him he might be able to help. Good luck on your search and if you get a chance to post some pics that would be great.

Don't know how you would find a copy but the July 1969 Muzzle Blasts had an article on Sites,Sr.and Jr.

I would very much like to talk with that gunsmith, ive heard the gunsmith from colonial williamsburg used to demonstrate rifle building techniques in arrowrock at john p sites gunshop.
maybe the same guy? I havent got the photo thing figured out yet will post pics asap i promise

Funny you mention muzzle blast mag, im aware of the issue you mention tried to get one havent yet. In the process eric bye, editor of mbm very kindly offered to do an article on john p sites, arrowrock, and my sites rifle. The "friends " of arrowrock apparently declined his invitation.
My response to them was basically your not going to separate firearm evolution from history no matter how hard you try.
as you can imagine it will be a cold day in h e double hockey sticks before this rifle sees arrowrock again! Shame is i really wanted it to return home.

Still no luck with photobucket,ill keep trying. Dew what was your impression of the sites rifle you handled? Would you be so kind to describe it? The one i have looks like a cross between an english fowler and a half stock plains rifle it has an enlongated oval patch box with hidden release, a single set trigger with adj screw in back, a lock with a screw near the top which once removed the lock comes out. Hawkenesque nose cap looks plated not poured. English fowler butt plate.breech plug has two gold bands and the initial IS. Its marked J SITES in a little recessed gold Box on the lock and on the barrel. Well executed cheek piece, fine checkered wrist. Im guessing 42/43 cal but may be relined as the bore seems too good for the external overall appearance and patination. Missing a pipe but has a neat tapered ramrod.
lol nothing like trying to figure out a rifle by braile.hope this helps a little, any ideas on this???

Well I don't recall every detail of it. But it reminded me of a plains rifle. I think it was a halfstock percusion and had a cresent buttplate. It kinda reminded me of a Leman. That's one of the reasons I wanted to shoulder it because I am thinking about buiding a Leman. I think it had a capbox on it to. Sorry I don't remember more. I hadn't really heard of Sites until we went to Arrow Rock but I guess alot of his stuff went out west. Stands to reason since Arrow Rock was on the Santa Fe trail. I also found the pamplet from the gunshop but It doesn't seem to have any contact info for the smith. I'm pretty sure he builds there in the shop. He let me make a pattern off of his carving knife. I don't know were you are located but if you are in the area you might drive up there. I don't know if he is up there all the time. We went up there last Oct. during there craft fest. Sorry I don't know much more. Good luck. Dew

Thanks dew, im in central texas so a drive up there wont happen soon. You might enjoy reading the life and times of john sites http://www.friendsar.org/johnsites2.html. sorry still no luck getting photos to upload drives me crazy as i would value the comments from this forum. I have an old article titled Two Missouri gunsmiths of the Boonslick area, by thos b. Hall it mentions a gemmer, hawken collection. Has anyone heard of this and if so where is it now?
Thanks again dew, your welcome to shoulder my sites rifle any time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, thanks to the gemmer gun club of st louis for putting me in touch with victor a paul, author of "missouri gunsmiths"! Also thanks to Vic for his kind offer of assistance on my rifle research.I can't wait to read his book and see his comments. It really blew my wig off to see my rifles cartouche on the cover of his book! Thats got to be the coolest thing since sliced bread! You really meet the nicest people around this community!

Posting Pics is pretty easy. Once uploaded to photobucket, copy the "Direct Link" address and pop it into the post picture icon. Picture will wsshow right in the thread. (Your browser may be blocking pop ups when you click on the image tag, you will see a thin yellow bar just above your poost, click on the bar and have it allow pop ups temporarily.)

Also the link below from the section on " How to use thius Forum" provides a great overview and there are a couple of video tutorials posted in the same area.
http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/223970/

Last edited by a moderator:
From the dates on these messages, I realize I am late to this game, but I now work for Friends of Arrow Rock as a historical interpreter. As a lifelong resident of the Booneslick region and Little Dixie, I believe I can be of assistance. I don't always see stuff here in the forum, but you would be welcome to contact me at [email protected]. Not sure who you all might have talked to in the past, but I can assure you I will do everything I can to get you the info you need.

Back