• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need Help Identifying this Flintlock Carbine/Shotgun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maximus454

32 Cal
Reaction score

Pics linked above ^

Hi all, this is an antique from my French grandparents, Engraving on barrel Reads David * A * Paris, same as on the lock. Approx 24 inch smooth bore barrel, roughly 1inch bore diameter. Done some digging but can’t find any information about the maker of this firearm, any help or guidance about where this is from and how old it could be would be appreciated, since at the moment I have no idea, thanks :)

Pics linked above ^

Hi all, this is an antique from my French grandparents, Engraving on barrel Reads David * A * Paris, same as on the lock. Approx 24 inch smooth bore barrel, roughly 1inch bore diameter. Done some digging but can’t find any information about the maker of this firearm, any help or guidance about where this is from and how old it could be would be appreciated, since at the moment I have no idea, thanks :)

Could you provide good close pictures of the muzzle end? It’s definitely French looking, and nice. Are you sure it a 1” bore because a 4-5 bore is massive.

Could you provide good close pictures of the muzzle end? It’s definitely French looking, and nice. Are you sure it a 1” bore because a 4-5 bore is massive.

Attached the pics above, yeah the diameter of the bore is an inch, someone suggested it was a hunting blunderbus which would make sense.

I’m not sure , but in a certain period of French history, the country side was infested with robbers and highwaymen. Your gun may be from that period of time. I just can’t remember where I read that . It sure looks like a coach protection gun to me.😃

Attached the pics above, yeah the diameter of the bore is an inch, someone suggested it was a hunting blunderbus which would make sense.

There would not be any advantage of hunting with a blunderbuss, unless hunting from a moving platform. I’m going to go out on a limb and say that it probably didn’t start out it’s life with that ringed muzzle. The ring looks added, and there are decorative incised lines all the way to the end of the wood behind the ring, which would indicate a much longer barrel at some point. The soldered brass band was added to reinforce the cracked forearm. Overall it is not a poor man’s firearm at least not when built. Lots of engraving, carving and inlay work. Probably at least a Fusil Fin built sometime between 1730-1750 by the style of the furnishings.

At first glance I thought the barrel may have beed Ottoman/Turkish. But no. The cannon type muzzle looks like it was added during the period. The overall profile of the gun does not appear blunderbuss. But the one inch opening at the muzzle is unusual. If you have a long-neck caliper, you can measure the bore about 3" down the bore. This might show a smaller caliber.

Rick

If you subscribe to the theory that the purpose of the muzzle flair was to make loading from a moving platform easier this firearms makes sense. I'm sure we've all seen examples of eastern long rifles that were shortened and sometimes re-bored to a larger caliber for a trip west. I suspect this was a musket or fowler length firearm that was shortened, the muzzle flared and the reinforcing ring added to make reloading easier while moving. Given the length I think it was intended for shipboard use rather than a carriage.

It has a generally pleasant appearance but the nose cap and muzzle end certainly suggests some modification to me. I too am not familiar with Mr. Martin's work but the features on the box, sideplate and inlays may be sufficient for others who are, to make the call.

I know of one rifle signed by Mr. Martin being offered by a internet dealer for the tidy sum of $7,500. You can probably find it by googling "Hacker Martin Rifle for sale". And I have seen others offered and sold for a fraction of that amount. Among those that I have seen I'd say I understand why he was called "Hacker". No disrespect to Mr. Martin. He is certainly a well known pioneer in the world of longrifles and should I ever try to do what he did I might very well be called "Hackerette Molly".
Uh what?

Latest posts

Back