• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Revolutionary War

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sfink

32 Cal
Reaction score
My name is Steve. I am from Rockford Illinois. I inherited a Pennsylvania Long Rifle from my grandfather. I’m trying to find out the maker of this old gun... My four times great grandfather, Valentine Fink, served in the Revolutionary War. He was a member of the Pennsylvania Militia and was from Berks County and Huntingdon County. I’m thinking that this rifle is the one Valentine used in the war. Finding out the maker and time period would be helpful. I have seven photos of the rifle.

Attachments

• tigger.jpg
    tigger.jpg
    876.8 KB · Views: 5
So the bad news is that isn't a Rev War rifle. The lock fits the stock well and is not a conversion from flintlock to caplock, so that's the original lock. Caplock were post 1800. That looks more to be a rifle from The Golden Age of longrifles or later. We will need to see more photos, and this was moved to Firearm Identification to help you out.

LD

Yep. Definitely NOT Revolution era. All the guns of that time were flintlocks. Your rifle is caplock (percussion) that didn't appear until the 1830's, and didn't become common until the 1840's.
I see a name, or something engraved on the lock plate, but I cannot make it out. We need good photos of all markings that you can find on the gun. Plus, an overall photo of the entire rifle in order to see the style. Then, maybe, someone here can tell you more about it.
There is a group of muzzleloaders there in Rockford. They have a clubhouse and range south of the town. I'm not sure what they call themselves, maybe the Rockford Longrifles. Paul Swanson is a member there and he is also a very good builder of muzzleloaders and quite knowledgeable. Although I believe he is semi-retired from gun making now. Maybe you could look them up. Pecatonica River Longrifle Supply is located there also, and I know that they know Paul.

My name is Steve. I am from Rockford Illinois. I inherited a Pennsylvania Long Rifle from my grandfather. I’m trying to find out the maker of this old gun... My four times great grandfather, Valentine Fink, served in the Revolutionary War. He was a member of the Pennsylvania Militia and was from Berks County and Huntingdon County. I’m thinking that this rifle is the one Valentine used in the war. Finding out the maker and time period would be helpful. I have seven photos of the rifle.
OH and from what we can see, it's a pretty rifle. ;)

LD

Hi,
It is a Henry Leman lock made in Lancaster, PA. Zoom in and you can see the name very well. The style suggests it was made in the 1850s.

dave

Last edited:
Your chest must be swollen with pride to have that kink of personal presence in our countries past. No kidding. I know I would be so curious. Welcome to Muzzleloader Forum from Steve a Michigan man. Keep your eyes peeled for scammers or spammers. Look for information on what we all should be aware of and how to report them. Steve

So the bad news is that isn't a Rev War rifle. The lock fits the stock well and is not a conversion from flintlock to caplock, so that's the original lock. Caplock were post 1800. That looks more to be a rifle from The Golden Age of longrifles or later. We will need to see more photos, and this was moved to Firearm Identification to help you out.

LD
Thanks for the info. In looking at photos from the internet of a few rifles that look like my gun, I was suspecting that my gun was made in the early 1800”s. Any ideas on the gunsmith?

Attachments

• but.jpg
    but.jpg
    384.3 KB · Views: 0
  • end sight.jpg
    end sight.jpg
    506.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0532.JPG
    IMG_0532.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0535.JPG
    IMG_0535.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0536.JPG
    IMG_0536.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0537.JPG
    IMG_0537.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0539.JPG
    IMG_0539.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0541.JPG
    IMG_0541.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0543.JPG
    IMG_0543.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
Like many flinters, it was converted to the new- fangeled percussion system. Kinda don't think this was used in the Rev War, but will be nice when you ID it.

Welcome from New York State's Central-Leatherstocking region.

I agree that is very post-Revolutionary War era firearm. Family history had my Grandfather fighting in WWI with a Krag. But I'm 99% sure that was a rifle he bought through DCM in the 1920's (for $3.00). Such is the nature of family history.

Definitely seen some use, a nice conversation piece to hang on the wall for sure.

Steve,
Congratulations on a great family hierloom.
A word of warning: Aside from light dusting or qualified professional attention don't DO anything to it! Much of its value lies in its grime and wear and any incorrect cleaning or polishing might harm its value and historical interest.
Also don't forget to check to see if its loaded!

Others have already given you your answer. What an awesome family heirloom. Make sure it's not loaded, get it cleaned up inside and out and take it to the range in memory of Gramps.

Latest posts

Back