• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

JoAnns #40 cotton drill

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Long cruise. In .54 caliber barrels what round ball size did you switch to? I use .015 in my Green Mountain .54 and a .530 round ball. Lube with beeswax and bear fat.

I use a 535 for both 54s. 445 in 45. 495 in 50. And 575 in 58.

I use Joanne #40 in all. Lately I've been lubing with vegetable oil and alcohol mix about 1 oil to 4 alcohol. I do that because it allows more even and consistent lube by laying out the strip and squirting it on then I squeeze it out in my hand and use it after the alcohol evaporates which doesn't take very long.

JoAnn's Drill Cloth looks, feels and is the same thickness as Tayor Pork Roll casing material.

Lov'in that circular knife contraption.

Couple hundred patches in a couple of minutes.

Attachments

• IMG_3472.JPG
    IMG_3472.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3474.JPG
    IMG_3474.JPG
    641.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3475.JPG
    IMG_3475.JPG
    430 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I always go and check out the clearance remnant section for leftover pieces. They almost always have some cotton and or denim there to sell.

I don't have to look around. When i found the right patching, I bought the bolt so I would not need to look again.

Seems to be as I have always said here ML are the cheapest folks ever. Just keep reading posts and you will see what I mean.
Truer words were never spoken.

Some will spend a dollar to save a dime.

Was by Joann’s today and looked up the #40 Drill Cloth. It was on the same shelf with the pillow ticking and much cheaper. The Drill was $7.99 a yard and the Ticking $14.99. They had a 30% off sale today so I bought a yard to try out even though I am pretty happy with the Red and Blue Ticking I have been using. You never get enough patching (powder, caps, flints, lead, etc.) I suppose. Seriously (kinda) one day in the not too distant future I plan on retiring and will be on the dreaded “fixed” income and might not be able to afford patches so better lay them in now. As we say, “they ain’t eating no grass”. ; )

Washed the #40 drill today in hot water and dried it hot. Pulled it out before it finished so it was not too wrinkled. By my Mic and technique I get .0175. As I recall that is thicker than my Red Ticking and about the same as the Blue Ticking. I will cut some of the drill into strips and prelude it with a Ballistol/Water mix and launch some balls.

Thanks for the tip on the 40# drill, I bought some to try in my rifle and while it shot really good with pillow ticking, it went from 3 shots very close together and sometimes touching with the ticking to 1 ragged hole with the drill 70 grains of FFFg and TOTW mink oil for a lube. Thanks again.

Strange how different lubes affect things.

I used those pre-lubed pillow ticking patches with that yellow lube for many years. Ox-Yoke I think. Balls flew everywhere. 2.5 inches at 25 yards. Will never go back to a pre-lubed patch.

Those Taylor Pork Roll patches give me three holes touching at 25 yards. Could be the weave. Could be the bee's wax/coconut oil/olive oil mix.

Looking forward to trying the JoAnn's drill cloth.

Taylor’s pork roll is so good with an egg and cheese on an English muffin.

Sorry, I digress.

I picked up a couple yards yesterday at my local JF. The gal that was helping me locate it couldn't find any. She called on an older lady that found it, she said nobody ever buys it anymore, she said a salon used to buy it for hair removal. Anyway the online price was $4.79, they had it listed at $8.99 they price matched the online price and she had a coupon on her phone that almost dropped it by half. so I paid just over $5 for 2 yards out the door.
You should have bought more and just sell off what you don't need.

Latest posts

Back