• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

JoAnns #40 cotton drill

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
8A0891CC-771D-4910-B650-E4C71110A22C.jpeg

Photo shows an Item # … not sure if that’s what you need or not.

You're in luck! For once I remembered to save the receipt. It's Drill 40 #00683532
.018" thick.
The best patch material I've used. I bought 2 yards of it a few weeks ago.

How do you measure the thickness of your fabric? And pre or post washing?

if you need thicker try the 10oz denim

This one is no longer available in US in the 100% cotton type. They have 7oz and 12oz in cotton. The others are stretch denim and it include a % synthetic fabric

So what's so great about that material for patches?
Tight weave. Consistent thickness (I once bought a bolt of pillow ticking that ranged from .015"-.018"). Consistent availability (many fabric merchants drop material from their lineup or change suppliers--see HighUintas' comment above about 10oz denim) and coast to coast (anyone can obtain it).

On the other hand, I have a great source for Irish linen for patching. You'll have to drive to the middle of Sheridan County Nebraska on the right days of the year, and bring cash (and hope no one has already bought the available fabric!). . . .

I buy the JoAnn drill 3 yds at a time and find it measures.014-.015 ( compressed). Works great. Wash twice in hot water, machine dry then ( lightly) iron to make it cut better. I cut round patches, individually with left handed scissors. Very relaxing way to spend time. Sitting in my gun room, radio on…almost meditative..😉

Tight weave. Consistent thickness (I once bought a bolt of pillow ticking that ranged from .015"-.018"). Consistent availability (many fabric merchants drop material from their lineup or change suppliers--see HighUintas' comment above about 10oz denim) and coast to coast (anyone can obtain it).

On the other hand, I have a great source for Irish linen for patching. You'll have to drive to the middle of Sheridan County Nebraska on the right days of the year, and bring cash (and hope no one has already bought the available fabric!). . . .
So are you saying that it provides noticeable and improved accuracy?

I buy the JoAnn drill 3 yds at a time and find it measures.014-.015 ( compressed). Works great. Wash twice in hot water, machine dry then ( lightly) iron to make it cut better. I cut round patches, individually with left handed scissors. Very relaxing way to spend time. Sitting in my gun room, radio on…almost meditative..😉
Do you have the item number for this? I like .015" and have gone through every bolt I could find at JoAnns with a micrometer. They were all either too thin or too thick. Lately I have been buying .015" patch material from Eastern Maine Shooting Supplies. DRY BULK MATERIAL

How do you measure the thickness of your fabric? And pre or post washing?

This one is no longer available in US in the 100% cotton type. They have 7oz and 12oz in cotton. The others are stretch denim and it include a % synthetic fabric
I was always taught never to put anything other than 100% natural material down the barrel. When you think about synthetic, I picture images of burning plastic in a barrel . Any percentage of synthetic material just doesn’t seem right at all? I would think that over time it would build up and create one enormous headache!

Latest posts

Back