• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Jeff White knife

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sequoia

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm looking at a longhunter knife made by Jeff White on Ebay. The steel is ANSI 1095 hardened to Rockwell 59 (HRC 58-60). I don't know enough about metal to know if this is a good type of steel. I'm hoping that some of the members of the forum might be able to help me on this.

Jeff White Knife

It's a good type of steel for knives, holds and takes a good edge and as long as it's been heat treated properly it should last a lifetime. There are tougher steel alloys that I would choose if I were looking for a pure survival knife that needed to stand up to more abuse, but in this case the extra toughness isn't needed. If you like the way it looks and it fits your budget then go for it. The link you posted didn't work so I won't comment on it looking like it was from one particular era or another.

Post Rider,
Like Bull I could not open the link
either.Without seeing it,I really could not offer
an opinion.Check the sellers feedback rating.
Less than 95% I ignore.Ask the seller all the questions you have.Does he have a return policy?
etc,etc. There are some deals on e-bay,but also
many steals.I personally avoid pay-pal and always
ask for an alternate payment method.Money order,
check,even cash depending on their feedback rating.I have never been burned by a seller,but
pay-pal is a whole different story.IMO
The problem I mostly have,including the MLF,is when it is said pay-pal is the only way to pay.
My check,my money order or my cash are not accepted.Pay-pal is trusted,but any other payment,
by any other way is not?????Trust me I know it is
done because they take care of the paper work,most
just don't want to deal with.They do it very,very well!!!!Those that use them,if a billing problem comes up can always say "Contact Pay-Pal"! Right,
may as well talk to the animals at the zoo...They are much more honest,and
will at least listen.M2C

1095 is a very excellent steel, if properly heat treated. It is a very demanding steel to harden right, and many makers that use it don't. They think they do, but in the real world, quite often they don't. There are only two quenches that will properly harden 1095. Brine, which is risky as far as cracking the blade, or Parks #50 quench oil, which is expensive. Canola oil can be used as a quench, but falls a tad short of ideal. Personally, I would not put a lot of money into a knife made from 1095 without knowing the HT process used on it. If the price is right, you might take a chance. I just Googled up Jeff White. He seems to specialize in trade types, and thin bladed simple knives. Chances are it would be a good knife, but I still would not spend a lot of money on it.

I have bought a J.W. knife and I love it. Good edge, good workmenship and good price. I see his work around Friendship alot and many people I know have one.

Cheers, DonK

I have 2 Jeff White knives, both with 4 1/2" blades, my wife took the first one away from me it lives in her kitchen now. For the price the fit and finish is good, the blades are thin carbon, I don't believe they are rockwell 59 though. They take a wicked sharp edge as softer carbon will and hold there edge fairly well, I actually prefer softer steel and would rather have to stop and touch my edge up with a strop or ceramic instead of getting out the diamond stones. The shape of the blades are very nice and lend them selves to a variety of tasks, I have butchered deer and hogs with mine and it worked very well. One of the knives I have has a curly maple handle and it is to die for beatiful wood, I would love to have a stock made from it but am sure I could not afford it.

I don't believe these are forged blades, I believe they are stamped with a "forged" finish added later. When you first get your knife expect to spend a few hours straightening and reprofiling the edge both of mine came with a pretty crappy, very steep edge profile, they are both convexed now and shaving sharp. I also don't like the handle profile, the handles are almost round and get slick when wet, I plan to reprofile mine.

To sum up, I really like my Jeff White knives and think it absolutely, positively can't be beat for the price. Most of the time when I go out it's the knife I grab and in my opinion is a very good utility blade. However I don't think I would buy the longhunter version, IMO the steel is to thin for a knife of that length. Chris

I don't believe the blade length would be a problem other than being to light in weight for chopping. After seeing the prices, you could not go too wrong, as long as you realize the limitations of a long thin blade. For most cutting chores, it should do well. The majority of 18th c. knives were on the thin side. The English scalpers were around 1/16", often approaching 3/32". The French scalpers were a tad thicker by maybe 1/32", on average, but variations appear for both. Most of the trade type knives were thin compared to what we are used to seeing today. Knives were not used all that much for chopping chores. The Jeff White knives I've seen are not historically correct in details, but come close enough to get by, if that is any consideration. Lets say they pass rendezvous rules, and are a good buy for the price, but have few other attributes. I would also add, that a modified "Old Hickory", or similar kitchen knife, would be it's equal. Historically, and otherwise.

Post Rider said:
I'm looking at a longhunter knife made by Jeff White on Ebay. The steel is ANSI 1095 hardened to Rockwell 59 (HRC 58-60). I don't know enough about metal to know if this is a good type of steel. I'm hoping that some of the members of the forum might be able to help me on this.

Jeff White Knife
Your link won't work because you can't link to items on ebay. Rules dude - read em. :haha:

Howdy,
I have a Jeff White patch knife handled in Osage Orange.
Great value, good steel, hand made by him. I've seen him at Friendship building knives, forging etc.
He is from Galveston Indiana, and is at the Indy 1500.
Jeff told me that if I ever didn't like the knife he would buy it back from me.

I still have it, and have several semi-custom knives which I paid more for.

My $.02

Also, good heat treat is as important as the steel.

1095 is a very good steel for knife making. Its the same steel that is used for making most files. :thumbsup:

Back