• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Japanese Reproductions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I’ve been reading about the Japanese muzzleloaders that started coming over in the 60’s thru 80’s. Like Miroku for instance. I haven’t read anything about them that wasn’t negative. Just out of curiosity, has anybody had a positive experience with them?

Don't know where you have been reading negative things about Miroku firearms but they are some of the finest reproductions I have ever owned and shot. I have a beautiful cherry stocked Brown Bess short land model they made and sold for our Centennial in 1976 and it's been just a fantastic gun. By the way did you know that Miroku has made a good many of the firearms that Remington put their name on for many years? I would rank Miroku right up there with Pedersoli as far as quality is concerned.

Absolutely love both of mine, I’ve had them going on 8 years now.
The flint has never not fired, but takes a .433 PRB and the percussion takes a .440 PRB.
Both are extremely fun to shoot and both are very accurate.
I’ve heard both bad and good from others also, I guess I just happened to luck out with a couple of great rifles that I paid less than $200 for both.
DACD25D4-B92A-49AF-9EAC-ADEDE66525A3.jpeg
3AB0E412-97BD-4497-8A10-46A0FE177599.jpeg

There was the Japanese ‘ultra High’ I think was the name. A .66 caliber smoothbore with a round barrel screwed into a octagon sleeve, fitted with a two piece random wood stock, a lock trigger and trigger guard based on a harpers ferry 1803 and a fat numeric patch box, they called it ‘brown Bess’ and sold them cheap around the bicentennial.
As much manure as they were they shot pretty well

1972 Colorado Springs, CO as a High School Junior I'd been enthralled with muzzleloaders for years, all those Hopkins & Allen advertisements for the Minuteman longrifle had kept me dreaming since sometime around 11 years old.

By the time of my Junior year I knew there was such thing as a T/C Hawken. One day at a Target store I saw what to my eye was a ringer for the T/C Hawken except it was made in Japan and was marked Ultra-Hi I believe but was priced a bit less. I've run across one or two since then, I'm not sure if Miroku made them or not. I've owned 4 Miroku lever guns licensed by Winchester and Brownig, all fine guns. I'd end up hooked by a T/C Hawken a few years later. Never paid any attention to Japanese made muzzleloaders since except maybe the Dixie Tennessee Mountain Rifle, wish I'd have bought one of those.

Last edited:
Absolutely love both of mine, I’ve had them going on 8 years now.
The flint has never not fired, but takes a .433 PRB and the percussion takes a .440 PRB.
Both are extremely fun to shoot and both are very accurate.
I’ve heard both bad and good from others also, I guess I just happened to luck out with a couple of great rifles that I paid less than $200 for both.
View attachment 182090View attachment 182091
Just what I needed to hear. Came across a beautiful flintlock and I’ve been thinking about making an offer

So I’ve been reading about the Japanese muzzleloaders that started coming over in the 60’s thru 80’s. Like Miroku for instance. I haven’t read anything about them that wasn’t negative. Just out of curiosity, has anybody had a positive experience with them?
Been shooting this one for 40 years. Pretty sure it will last another day or two .

Attachments

• CAFC1857-D59A-4441-B277-1813C0E228EE.jpeg
    CAFC1857-D59A-4441-B277-1813C0E228EE.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
Like Miroku for instance.
It's like everyone else said.
So I’ve been reading about the Japanese muzzleloaders that started coming over in the 60’s thru 80’s.
Try reading past the bias reviews next time. Or current Miroku stuff, honest, it's a reputable outfit.

I think back in the daze you mention, they had contracted to provide for some irr-reputable manufacturers.
They did provide the supply for the contract.
But I'm NOT going to buy a Sears Muzzle Loader,, 😏

Miroku makes wonderful rifles. They are the makers of Winchester and Browning rifles now. I have a new Winchester M92 lever action rifle that is to die for, it is that nice.

Those who dismiss the Miroku probably don't have much experience with them. I've handled their version of the 'Bess and it's the best I've seen short of an original. As for the version of the Springfield, some will diss it because it's more of a 63 version but every one I've seen has been a fine shooter when the operator paid attention to what it takes to shoot minies accurately.

There was the Japanese ‘ultra High’ I think was the name. A .66 caliber smoothbore with a round barrel screwed into a octagon sleeve, fitted with a two piece random wood stock, a lock trigger and trigger guard based on a harpers ferry 1803 and a fat numeric patch box, they called it ‘brown Bess’ and sold them cheap around the bicentennial.
As much manure as they were they shot pretty well
I almost bought one, however it didn't spark well(once every 3 shots with his flint) also where the barrel screwed in there was a large bump. I talked to others who said those were meant for reenactments to shoot powder only not shot or ball. The reason I liked them they were ultra light . I don't know what would happen if you loaded it with normal load . they looked great as a wall hanger but not to shoot. Bruce

I almost bought one, however it didn't spark well(once every 3 shots with his flint) also where the barrel screwed in there was a large bump. I talked to others who said those were meant for reenactments to shoot powder only not shot or ball. The reason I liked them they were ultra light . I don't know what would happen if you loaded it with normal load . they looked great as a wall hanger but not to shoot. Bruce
I had Bess back in the days of the Bicentennial used for reenacting and also got a deer with it, very good gun.

Miroku makes the super-high-quality modern guns, like Brownings, etc. The quality of Japanese stuff is top-notch. You have to "screen" comments over time, there are always grouches or "trolls" that have an ax to grind and spread "manure" around just to be annoying. There may be other Japanese makers but Miroku is a name that pops up a lot.

One of the first kits I ever built was the Dixie Gun Works Tower flintlock pistol. It was made in Japan, but I don't know by who. Has more sharp edges than a Pedersoli, but it sparks reliably. I also have a couple of the Indian made ones as sold by Loyalist and Middlesex. They also spark well, but have horrible trigger pull, and the finish looks rough. Just my experience...

Back