• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Did I make a mistake? or Is there a misconception about smoking molds?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it is better to smoke moulds then to smoke cigarettes
It's cheaper too.
I preheat my molds on a hot plate, while the lead is being melted in my Lee bottom pour pot. I never smoke my molds and only use a thin coat of micro graphite spray on mold release from Frankfort Arsenal on one that gets contrary about dropping the cast (ball or bullet).

Rifleman1776 must have met my grandfather because he told me the same thing back in the 50s.
I smoked them for first use only. And, I did that because many years ago an old timer told me "yer supposed to".

Ok. I have heard of this, been warned since day 1 YOU HAVE TO SMOKE THE MOLD, prevents "Sticking".....Confessional I never have smoked a mold, new or old, and I have once scrubbed a brand new mold, but have not since the first one. TOO, Many "MYTHS" "MISCONCEPTIONS" "LIES" fake made up stories of MY uncle once or I had a brother that had a room mate one time, When directly confronted with "How about YOU" er ah back stroke um eh...Black Powder and Casting wow just wow the "FERTILIZER" that gets spread with out any evidence there of. Like water/sweat ON hot lead explodes..Fortune cookie 45L/C shattered that one on you tube, IN THE LEAD prior to HEATING well now all bets are off, you are on your own. But eh alas I digress I don`t try and set em straight anymore, I grin nod and fasten their helmet as I send em on their way......I careless if they trip on their laces falling on their faces

I still have the Thompson/Center instruction sheet that came with my mould when I bought it in the early 1980's. It does not mention smoking them.
In every LEE Mold I purchased, there is instructions to smoke the mold, LEE even walks ya through the process on you tube. It is one of those we wont honor warranty cause you did not smoke the mold get out of refund cause directions were not followed

Here is what Lee has to say about it:
1702073771965.png

"Smoke the cavities with a match, bees wax candle, or a butane lighter. The smoke provides a micro insulating layer in the cavity allowing easy fill out and easy release from the mold. Smoke the cavities whenever the bullets begin to stick when casting. You will find that after some use the mold will become "seasoned" and smoking will not be required as frequently or at all."

I have had a few "sticky" Lee molds that started dropping bullets much better after smoking.

When I started casting a few old timers told me to smoke my molds. So I do. Never thought to question it and my casts come out real nice. (after I get into the groove, the first handful are always terrible and go back into the pot)

In every LEE Mold I purchased, there is instructions to smoke the mold, LEE even walks ya through the process on you tube. It is one of those we wont honor warranty cause you did not smoke the mold get out of refund cause directions were not followed
Here is the front page of the Thompson/Center mould I purchased around 1980. The back page details casting procedure but nothing about the final prep and storage.

002.jpg

I’ve never felt the need to smoke or otherwise, I cast and dump back until the mold is hot and there’s no signs of defects.
Just a heads up if you own a vacuum sealer try putting the finished product (conical) flatten them and vacuum seal and no oxygenation and damage /deforming of bases as they get locked in place . Shipping /storage , they stay just like they dropped and spending all that time we do like perfect bases/edges Right ?/Ed

The big problem with new casters is that the lead is NOT kept hot enough! Heat should at least be betwixt 750-810F. Before starting to cast, the mould should be preheated. I did this over an open flame stovetop. Hold the mould into the flame for a length of time such that when you remove the mould from the flame and bring it up toward your cheek....you can feel the heat emitted from the mould. You can then get a good casting as long as you keep the heat stable in the mould! I despise aluminum molds worse than the devil hates holy water! If you don't have a good lead (melting pot) buy a Waage!

Last edited:
If you're gonna smoke a mould use a piece of masking tape to smoke it with! It gives off good carbon right well! I have done it in previous times. The most important thing is to keep the lead up to temp 750-810F and don't OVERHEAT the mould such that the cast item has a 'frosted' appearance!

Latest posts

Back