• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Did I make a mistake? or Is there a misconception about smoking molds?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I "smoke" my Lee molds but not my steel molds. The Lee molds run well when smoked for the first time after that I don't smoke them unless they start to produce bad balls. My steel molds run just fine without smoking you just have to get the right temp on the lead and keep the mold warm -hot but not too hot. Your cast bullet will tell you when its right or what to do.:thumb:

In short I went casting 8-14-23 I started with my .451 round ball I forgot to smoke the mold realizing it when I was about 1/2 through I figured no issues no point of stopping, I then grabbed the LEE R.E.A.L 320 grain .50 which was brand new only had been scrubbed, I figured keep trend going a few frosted but no negative seized mold no bleeps, blunders did round 130ish of those, non smoked mold. Did the same for .495`s as well. Non Smoked mold. So has anyone else either positive or negative outcome of smoking or not smoking experiences? I am asking as a relatively new caster.
Not necessary for my Accurate/BACO/Lee/RCBS and Lyman molds , guess I'm lucky or good @what I do ? Casting for 50+ yrs I don't remember anymore ,fire up the pot and it just happens ! Ed

I remember that when starting with a lee mold I would stick the corner of the mould in the pot with the melted lead to heat it up. otherwise I would have bullets with wrinkles and air pockets until the mould heated up. maybe using a propane torch would heat it and smoke it

I remember that when starting with a lee mold I would stick the corner of the mould in the pot with the melted lead to heat it up. otherwise I would have bullets with wrinkles and air pockets until the mould heated up. maybe using a propane torch would heat it and smoke it
I don’t think a propane torch would do the trick. When I was working in the Geddy Foundry at Colonial Williamsburg, we used to smoke our bronze moulds for pewter and our sand moulds for everything else with a little kerosene torch. At home I use a small oil lamp without a chimney, and it works great!
Jay

No sure thing here. If your mold is balky and doesn't want to cast good balls try smoking it. If it's working fine leave it alone. Some here think their way is the only way but it just ain't so. As I've mentioned before a few times, a China marker rubbed on the sprue plate and spread out with a piece of paper towel on a match stick will keep that lead from sticking on the sprue.

I still have the Thompson/Center instruction sheet that came with my mould when I bought it in the early 1980's. It does not mention smoking them.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
I have every type of mould around. Ive never smoked any of them. Brand new Lee's or 1930s Ideals.
Even the custom postel ones get nothing.
I do soak them down with Kroil when they are cooled and ready to be put away.
I have heard that about using Kroil but thought that the mold had to be free of oil to prevent wrinkles in the boolits. Then again, I know they do get rusty (iron molds) in damp climates unless you do something to prevent the rust. Here in the high desert area of Idaho, I haven't seen a problem with much rust on anything.

I have heard that about using Kroil but thought that the mold had to be free of oil to prevent wrinkles in the boolits. Then again, I know they do get rusty (iron molds) in damp climates unless you do something to prevent the rust. Here in the high desert area of Idaho, I haven't seen a problem with much rust on anything.
I tried the Kroil treatment on one mould, a Lyman 2 cavity [#245496 for my .243Win.] because it was a bit reluctant to drop its contents: Didn't work for me. However, there is one other "solution" if you'd care to try it. To wit, spray the mould cavities with alcohol based dry graphite film, but don't overdo it. It works pretty well, but wears off in time and can be removed with alcohol on a cotton swab or old toothbrush.

Been molding for 50 years and never smoked any mold, just get them hot and pour away. I've molded round balls, minis, and maxi balls with no problems at all.

I tried smoking (my molds) a couple times ....out of curiosity. Never saw the need so quit doing it. I cast a lot of heavy grease groove bullets for BPCRifle shooting as well as roundballs for MLoader. No need to smoke 'em.

Never smoked any molds just kept casting until the mold heated up a burned off any impurities. And then it’s off to the races. LOL

I had a mold for an unmentionable. Made by Winchester, 38-40, steel block. I could cast bullets as fast as I could pour (using a small cast iron pot on a gas burner and a hand ladle), and after the first few to heat the mold, they all came out fine.

That mold had a fair amount of mass to it. Once hot, it stayed hot. I suspect heat retention is a bigger problem with some molds than many realize.

I tried the molds smoked and unsmoked and couldn't see any difference. And I've used iron, bronze and aluminum and they all react & cast about the same.

Back