• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Japanese matchlocks?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salty_Possum

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Are replicas of Japanese Matchlocks available out there? I saw one by Dixie Gun, but they don't make it anymore. Is there a chance they are made by someone else out there?

To date, I've not seen any by other makers, though that doesn't mean it isn't done. The history of the Portuguese introduction of firearms by shipwreck to Japan and their spread and use is a fascinating story. Not surprisingly, their use fell out of favor for the same reason crossbows were looked down upon in Europe...basically, it was beneath the Samurai's dignity to know Joe-Average (or rather, Saburo-Average) could pop a feared warrior with ease and destabilized the perceived order of things! this was particularly offensive in a very ordered and class-conscious society like Japan.

Time limit ran out on editing the above. Wanted to also note that in the Japan society of that time, the Samurai never used the "teppo" or matchlock gun as it was beneath their perceived dignity to use weapons of the commoners. In fact, the regular troops were called 'Ashigaru', basically meaning commoner or something close to that. The 'Arquebusier' (term taken from the European) was second in line-of-march, immediately behind the Royal flag bearers to protect the sacred flags from harm or capture. The 'Ashigaru Arquebusier' was often protected with the traditional Japanese armor and carried his field rations of rice balls in a silk or cloth tube around his neck, tied off every few inches to resemble a large string of pearls. Each ball being a daily ration to mix with vegetables, fish or whatever he managed to find or steal! Touch bunch of GI's they were too! :hatsoff:

Hi Salty. Oh Boy. There was one of those Dixie imports that was on Gunbroker for sale - in unused condition - about four months ago. :(
I notice one of those replicas comes up for sale on Gunbroker about once a year. I would check places like Gunbroker, Guns America every two weeks or so. It's amazing what turns up for sale. You just have to be patient.
I've heard that one of the manufacturers of Indian made guns has come out with a Japanese Matchlock in carbine length. But I can't confirm this.
It would be great to land one of those Japanese made replicas that Dixie use to import. Good luck on your search. Rick. :hatsoff:

Miroku in Japan made mine (Dixie's?) and they come up for sale once in a while. Kinda pricey at the "like new" level IMO -- many, many, hundreds.

This is a replica patterned after one of the KUNITOMO (a village near Kyoto, once a fireams center) masterpiece models manufactured and used in the 16th and 17th centuries. It features a one piece Japanese cherry fullstock that has been finished with a redish brown stain and satin finish. The stock is 53" long, with a 2 1/2" drop and 7" trigger pull. This is 50 caliber with a 41-1/2" long blued octagon smoothbore (.500" diameter) barrel. It has traditional Japanese style open sights, brass furniture, single trigger, 54-3/4" overall length and weighs 8-3/4 lbs. It uses a matchlock fuse and can be loaded with 45 grains of FFg black powder and patched. .490 round ball

Wish I could get my scanner to act right. I've got a photo around here somewhere showing a Japanese guy who appears to be doing a re-enactment of the period with a piece that looks like it's got the barrel of a 4 pounder brass cannon. Assuming he's not holding up 500 pounds of barrel, it's got to have one hellacious bore!

Hi Wes. If you locate that photo, please post. Would be fun to see.
Salty: Alden is right. Those do come up for sale every once in a while. I remember hearing the Japanese made copies are good quality. And Alden's looks like it is. :thumbsup:
Here is my original, munitions grade, early 19th Century piece that I shoot. Has a steel barrel liner from Bobby Hoyt. Fun to shoot!! Rick. :hatsoff:

I thought American GI's brought most of the Jap matchlocks home as souvenirs after WW2? Have they gone up in price?

I got one that had been tastefully converted to percussion :idunno: and got Magnus Wiberg to put it back to match. It had 23 metal inlays, dragons, butterflies and flowers in brass, copper and silver. I really liked that gun.

I have one of these Mirokus and it is well made. A few minor problems:

The sights are weird. The rear is a shallow notch, but the front is a square block with both a notch and a small hole drilled front to back. The notch seems to drop the shots low, so I think you're supposed to use the hole as your aiming point, if you can see it.

The serpentine holds the match very close to the pan. You can't allow a full cone of glowing match out the front of the serpentine. I have considered modifying the tail of the serpentine that engages the release pin to make it hold higher.

The vent is large, so you need to prime before loading. Otherwise the pan auto-fills with coarse powder.

You need a strong left arm, because the cheek stock puts all the weight out front. My left shoulder is ruined right now, so no teppo shooting for me.

I have fired mine with a 495 ball and thin patching with 70 grains ffg. Surprisingly little kick.

Sorry all. All of a sudden I'm having problems posting photos from PhotoBucket?? Did not have the problem a week ago. Followed the same procedure I always do. Hope PhotoBucket gets back to me. Have a nice original you guys might like to see.
Mine also has the serpentine sitting very close to the pan. You have to fire it quick after sliding the pan cover. :idunno: Rick.

U talked about it in the past tense. I have concluded you no longer deserve that gun. Please forward to me at your earliest convenience.

Regards

Salty Possum said:
Are replicas of Japanese Matchlocks available out there?

Alden said:
Miroku in Japan made mine (Dixie's?) and they come up for sale once in a while. Kinda pricey at the "like new" level IMO -- many, many, hundreds.
FWIW my local gun shop has one for sale that looks like that pictured. I'll get more details .. . and the price!

Alden said:
I have concluded you no longer deserve that gun. Please forward to me at your earliest convenience.

That's a mighty fine offer and I really appreciate that you are ready and willing to relieve me of this burden. But if I sent you this gun you might be tempted to shoot it and I would hate to take responsibility for inflicting that much fun on a fellow human creature. I think it is probably safest where it is, I will muddle through and get by somehow.

You misunderstood me. I was not thinking of you for your own sake but of your dereliction. You emphasize it worrying about me (or so you say) if I shoot it and not what might become of this antique firearm relegated to a dark life as cold and empty as its present captor. You do not deserve it any longer. But I do.

I proclaim, before everyone and the almighty, I will not shoot the poor, abandoned, thing. Please do not hesitate any longer in sending this arm to me -- we'll all feel better for it.

I decided to leave it up to the gun. I read your message to it and waited, I think one of the brass dragons may have winked a silver eye but I don't speak dragon and it might have been my imagination. The gun is now aware of you but I don't know if it has changed allegiance. If I get a more cogent reply to the affirmative I will send it. You will see from the picture that it is a powerfully mystic object and not to be trifled with.

dragon.jpg

Back