• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

James Lowe 1740 Pistols. Shootable?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pipascus

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello!
I know someone who has a set of pistols from 1740. He wants to know if it's OK to shoot them, load, special loading procedure (?) etc.
Can someone help with this?
Thank you.
Here are a couple of photos...

IMG_2357.jpeg
IMG_2358.jpeg

I’ll hold your beer while you go first.
You're spinning internet yarns and urban legend falsehoods.

The cylinder wall thickness on your Proofed reproduction revolver measures .080 inches give or take.

Are you going to sit here in front of God and everyone and say an Un-Proofed barrel with a wall thickness twice or three times greater than your revolver is unsafe to shoot? Do you honestly believe the craftsman that built those pistols built them to fail when the trigger got pulled?

The OP wants to shoot these pistols.

Speculation and planting unwarranted seeds of fear is not helpful.

Hello!
I know someone who has a set of pistols from 1740. He wants to know if it's OK to shoot them, load, special loading procedure (?) etc.
Thank you.

View attachment 233902View attachment 233903
If you are cautious like me, have a qualified gunsmith who specializes in BP check it out first

Interesting.
I understand the caution, but like others have said-those guns were made to be shot. True, they are not nearly as strong as modern reproductions, but it seems to me that staying within, preferably below, loads of the era in which they were manufactured would be safe.
Still, I am no gunsmith, so the idea of taking them to a gunsmith seems sound.

Interesting.
I understand the caution, but like others have said-those guns were made to be shot. True, they are not nearly as strong as modern reproductions, but it seems to me that staying within, preferably below, loads of the era in which they were manufactured would be safe.
Still, I am no gunsmith, so the idea of taking them to a gunsmith seems sound.
They're in exceptional condition.

I wouldn't hesitate to load them and shoot them.

And finding a gunsmith that can speak to the soundness of mid 18th screw on barrel flintlock pistols may prove difficult.

English gun proofs, in the London Proof House, began much earlier than the dom of these pistols.

birmin25.jpg
birmin26.jpg
These are the final black powder proof marks. The London mark was in use since 1672 in this or similar form. The Birmingham mark was valid from 1813-1904. Since 1925 the London mark was used on semi-smokeless as final proofs for shotguns with the "NP" mark in conjunction.
birmin27.jpg
birmin28.jpg
Inspection mark, London - since 1672. Birmingham - since 1812-1904.

Hello!
Thank you.

View attachment 233902View attachment 233903
Consulting with a qualified gunsmith is a good option if you are unsure of what you have. The condition of the pair looks very good, but hard to tell much for sure without brighter detailed photographs.

I would want to confirm that there are no cracks or defects in the metal and that the barrels are snug when threaded into place. I would also confirm the locks hold when cocked and see how they spark. Then if I wanted to shoot them, I would probably load with no more that 15 grains of powder.

Don’t mess with them! I’m sure they are safe with a light load- but what if something breaks? You just lost $$ in collects value. Plenty of reproductions to shoot….

Latest posts

Back