• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Jag and patches stuck in barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JelloStorm

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

A few weeks back I posted a problem where I inadvertently double patched my jag and it's stuck down the barrel of my Lyman Deerstalker. The end of the ramrod pulled right off upon trying to yank it out.

I tried to load 3 then 5 then 10gr of powder to blow it out but it stops about half way up the barrel.

Now, apparently moisture has gotten in behind the patches and jag so I can't try to shoot it out again.

Anyone have any other ideas? I don't have a CO2 kit, but if anybody in Northeast PA can help, it would be greatly appreciated.

Pull your touch hole liner. Go to an auto parts store and get a grease zirk with threads to match. Pump it out wit a grease gun.

DEADDAWG said:
Pull your touch hole liner. Go to an auto parts store and get a grease zirk with threads to match. Pump it out wit a grease gun.
Works perfectly too...

I had a brand new bore brush hang up down bore one time and it was one of those cheap crimped on brushes...happened before I had learned to simply rotate a brush clockwise to free it up, and when I tried to pull it straight out with gorilla force the brush pulled loose from its crimp.

With all the air space through the bristles compressed air wouldn't work of course...so I removed the liner, and stuffed in a couple dozen 1/4" square pieces of patch material cut with scissors to create a little bit of a dam under the bristles, screwed in the grease fitting and pumped it right back up the bore.
(having an air operated grease gun made it even faster...you know, the kind of air tools all the settlers had :grin: )

Then I removed the fitting, and slowly pushed a patch back down bore to force the excess grease back out through the vent, then cleaned the barrel normally with steaming hot soapy water.

"After" I was all done, it dawned on me that the very "dam seal" I tried to make with a bunch of 1/4" pieces of patch material may well have sealed good enough to work with my air compressor...have to remember that for the next time.

Bryan said:
Hey everyone,

A few weeks back I posted a problem where I inadvertently double patched my jag and it's stuck down the barrel of my Lyman Deerstalker. The end of the ramrod pulled right off upon trying to yank it out.

I tried to load 3 then 5 then 10gr of powder to blow it out but it stops about half way up the barrel.

Now, apparently moisture has gotten in behind the patches and jag so I can't try to shoot it out again.

Anyone have any other ideas? I don't have a CO2 kit, but if anybody in Northeast PA can help, it would be greatly appreciated.

Push the jag down. The wipe the bore with an oily patch. Then shoot it out. If its wet the first squib load will dry it.'
The do it again .
You will likely need more than 10 grains of powder. The friction is high and the jag and patches fairly heavy. When you double patch and it sticks dump some water (or light weight oil its the bore is clean or nearly so) in the bore this will dissolve the fouling, wet the patches and lube the bore.

Dan

Dan,

I'm not fully understanding your instructions.

There's a black soup of moisture and/or fouling that I sopped up with a q-tip (mostly...I think...) so I don't think dumping more black powder in the breech will work / or is a good idea.

The jag and patches is stuck about halfway up the barrel, so maybe tomorrow I'll take the wife's hair dryer and remove the touch hole to hopefully dry it all out and try some more powder.

When I attempted to blow it out the first few times I heard a "hiss" as the powder didn't expel the jag and patches, but rather exited out the touch hole.. is this safe(ish)?

Last thing I want is to blow the gun up in my garage or in my general area.

Bryan said:
The jag and patches is stuck about halfway up the barrel

ALWAYS...re-seat any object that is partway up a bore before attempting to shoot it out !!

Bryan said:
Dan,

I'm not fully understanding your instructions.

There's a black soup of moisture and/or fouling that I sopped up with a q-tip (mostly...I think...) so I don't think dumping more black powder in the breech will work / or is a good idea.

The jag and patches is stuck about halfway up the barrel, so maybe tomorrow I'll take the wife's hair dryer and remove the touch hole to hopefully dry it all out and try some more powder.

When I attempted to blow it out the first few times I heard a "hiss" as the powder didn't expel the jag and patches, but rather exited out the touch hole.. is this safe(ish)?

Last thing I want is to blow the gun up in my garage or in my general area.

There is ALWAYS gas escape out the vent. Getting a "phhfftt" at the vent and not expelling the projectile means TOO LITTLE POWDER WAS USED.
You will not blow the gun up with 15-20 grains of powder.
If you can dry or wipe an area clean with a Q tip (or pipe cleaner) you can put powder in the same place and this will at least dry some of wet. This will allow more powder to be added which will eventually blow the jag out.
If you have let it be wet with water for any length of time the fouling has likely attacked the bore to some extent. This should have been done at the time the jag was stuck.

If this is not workable?

Then debreech the barrel and push it out.

Dan

DEADDAWG said:

A "needle" attachment for the grease gun may work without removing the vent.
Zerks that would fit would likely be 28 tpi pipe thread so care must be taken when using to replace the vent liner. Just screw in a few threads.
Dan

I have removed a few with compressed air and a rubber tipped blow gun with my air compressor. If you are in NE PA let me know and maybe we can hook up and get that ball out for you. If you have a garage man that does engine work , he will have a blowgun and just aim it into a box of rags or any thing that will catch the ball. Be carefull as it launches a ball pretty stout tho.

:hmm: Reseating the jag down the barrel seems to be a major key to trying some of these ideas. :idunno: Griz

Latest posts

Back