• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Jackie Brown I just got has 48" bbl.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TN.Frank

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I picked up the Jackie Brown that I swapped the Cumberland Fowler for and WOW, it had a 48" long bbl. That dang thing is Looooooong to say the least. It makes my other J.B. with the 42" bbl. look kind of short. I really like that long barrel though, something about it just screams "bird gun". Another nice thing, I can make up a ramrod from the 48" dowels at the hardware store and not even have to cut em',LOL. This gun is much "fancier" then my other one. My first one doesn't have an entry thimble and only has a small side plate where the screw goes in, my new one has a full side plate and an entry thimble. I know J.B. makes about 3 or 4 different kinds, doesn't anyone know the differences in em' so I can figure out what I've got? Anyway, just wanted to share the "good news" about the J.B. I just got. :thumbsup:

Here's some pics.
dcp65ao7.jpg

dcp99vx3.jpg

And one of both of em'.
dcp100th1.jpg

You can't really tell it from the pic but the top one has a 6" longer barrel(48") as compared to the bottom one (42") and I LIKE IT, as strange as that sounds. That longer barrel is really sweet. Seems like the older I get the longer my barrels get, LOL> :hmm:

:haha: We won't get into that here but I hate to say, you may be right. :blah:

Well, ya didn't answer my question. Ya wanna Trade? :grin: :grin: Probably not since you just got it. Maybe next week. :grin: :grin:

Darn! If you pointed that gun east, the barrel is so long, the muzzle would be in a different time zone!

You could shoot the gun at one oclock in the afternoon, and the bird would be killed at noon!

Honestly, great piece... enjoy it, my friend.

Nah, I think I'll hang onto this one for a spell, seeing as how Jackie is raising his prices and all. Plus, I've never seen one with this long of a barrel. Has to be somewhat of a special order or something. If anyone knows which model it is please chim in and also if they know what the other one is too. Anyway, talk to ya'll later.

TN Frank,

Well I contacted you about a trade and looks like you got a good JB smoothbore. Why did you want to trade the ERA gun? I am just wondering? I have seen some ERA guns but never fired one. I have a Jack Garner Fowler that I havent shot yet but I ordered some round balls for it since you wouldnt trade with me :( ! Have fun with the 48 in gun maybe when you swing it right (facing north) I can see it from my house in East TN.
Shudy

You can't really tell it from the pic but the top one has a 6" longer barrel(48") as compared to the bottom one (42") and I LIKE IT, as strange as that sounds. That longer barrel is really sweet. Seems like the older I get the longer my barrels get, LOL>

If you look in the books of Fowlers and Muskets you will see many, many muskets with really long barrels. Really cool flinter!!!!

Marc Findlay

Marc Findlay

The main reason that I didn't swap with you Shudy is because the other guy got in on the deal first. In all fairness, I have to go with the pard that gets the deal first. I could have went with a guy that had a J.B. Trade gun(might have been you, can't remember) but then the other guy, that said he'd swap first would have been "left out in the cold" so to speak. That's the only fair way I know to work a deal on the Net, go with the first e-mail from the guy that says "I'll take that trade", otherwise I'd have to pick one and that'd leave the others out so I just go with the first one. It's that simple.
As for why I got rid of the Cumberland Fowler, mostly to have the same caliber guns but also because that large bore gun felt "heavy" to me after getting a feel of a 42" J.B. Fowler. In the same way my Austin & Halleck felt "short" to me when I got my 43.5" barrel Poorboy rifle. I tend to go with what feels right to me quite a bit and the 20ga/62cal guns are just a bit lighter and seem to swing a bit better. That's pretty much the only reason.
Sorry we couldn't work a deal, maybe next time. :v

Tn Frank

I am not mad that I didnt get the deal with you. I was teasing. I emailed you about my Jack Garner Fowler for a swap. I tried to email you sooner but I wasnt at work but it worked out for all in the end as it always seems to do. I have seen one of ERAs 75 cal smoothie and he makes a really nice gun. I ordered some round balls for my 62 fowler and I am going to shoot it since I havent yet. It looks like you got a really good swap and I like those longer barreled guns too. I hope to be hunting your way for the muzzleloader season this year but it depends on work. Enjoy shooting your gun and keep us updated on it.

Shudy

I've never seen one with this long of a barrel. Has to be somewhat of a special order or something.

Actually, he used to have one hanging on his back wall that was in the 50s. That one was a special order with a long story.

CS

Personally, Shudy, I think you'll be happier with the 20ga gun. It's plenty big to kill a deer with a round ball and will throw enough shot for Turkey too AND it's not anywhere near as heavy as the 11ga would be. JMHO. :hmm:

:rotf: let him shoot it a couple of times and adjust a few parts then darrell will be ready to swap :rotf: :rotf:

Rusty Old Gunns said:
Darn! If you pointed that gun east, the barrel is so long, the muzzle would be in a different time zone!

You could shoot the gun at one oclock in the afternoon, and the bird would be killed at noon!

Honestly, great piece... enjoy it, my friend.

On the plus side, a longer barrel would keep one from blowing down the barrel, you would hyperventilate and faint from the extra air needed to complete the job... :haha:

two-bellys said:
:rotf: let him shoot it a couple of times and adjust a few parts then darrell will be ready to swap :rotf: :rotf:

You are EVIL, simply EVIL, LOL. :nono:
I do swap a lot but only to get what I want. :blah:
I think this one is a keeper and so it the other one. I'm finally getting to where I want to be smoothbore wise. :hmm:

TN.Frank said:
two-bellys said:

Well that could be true but I think I could handle it. Tn Frank you are correct that the 20 ga is plenty for deer and turkeys. Like I said it worked out for the best and I ordered some lead for my gun this week. I just wished I had an ealrier gun.

Shudy

Back