• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ive got 3 new giant boars coming in

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Howie1968

40 Cal.
Reaction score
checked game cams yesterday ive got 3 giant size boars coming in ill be hunting them while on vacation. these are some big pigs, I here roundball tossed around a lot but you womt get a pass through with rb on these maybe .58 for sur with my pedersoli Kodiak double .72. ill use one og my .54s with 535 gr no excuse or one of my 50s with the no excuse 600 gr
80698161_10219556840368420_4187173886137204736_n[1].jpg
80735665_10219556849128639_4288938493356277760_n[1].jpg
81581541_10219556841328444_2378002325257060352_n[1].jpg

yes sir theve been munching on acorns I still have acorns dropping in this bottom right around the corn feeder acorns are falling. ive never seen this many acorns this time of year

checked game cams yesterday ive got 3 giant size boars coming in ill be hunting them while on vacation. these are some big pigs, I here roundball tossed around a lot but you womt get a pass through with rb on these maybe .58 for sur with my pedersoli Kodiak double .72. ill use one og my .54s with 535 gr no excuse or one of my 50s with the no excuse 600 grView attachment 21053 View attachment 21054 View attachment 21055

THIS MAY SEEM OFF SUBJECT, BUT IS THE MEAT OF A FEREL HOG EDIBLE OR IS IT TOO WORM INFESTED WITH THE CAUSE OF TRICHINOSIS? I DOUBT MY SPELLING.
DUTCH

Feral. Trichina is the worm; trichinosis is the disease. You did well.
Adequate cooking kills the worm. I imagine that some other methods kill the trichina worm as well. ?
Acorns this time of year? Up here we don't see them until fall.

Feral. Trichina is the worm; trichinosis is the disease. You did well.
Adequate cooking kills the worm. I imagine that some other methods kill the trichina worm as well. ?
Acorns this time of year? Up here we don't see them until fall.

THANK YOU FOR HE SPELING LESSON BAXTER. I SAW A SMALL TOWN CELEBRATE THE INFESTATION OF TRICHINOSIS IN THE MEAN SPIRITED DOMINATING FAMILY OF THE TOWN.
THERE'S A LOT OF HATE IN SOME SMALL TOWNS IN THIS COUNTRY,

DUTCH

yes sir theve been munching on acorns I still have acorns dropping in this bottom right around the corn feeder acorns are falling. ive never seen this many acorns this time of year

True that!!! Lots of acorns this season. Nilgai I shot back in November had been eating acorns! Old son like the hogs to come in and clean up the acorns on his place. He’s had some issues with his livestock and acorns in the past. Eating to many that is.

We had a late acorn crop this year in E. Texas, like Howie acorns are still dropping an my place.
However, most around my ponds are still on the ground kinda like an acorn carpet.
Good luck Howie with those big hogs!
Sam A.

THANK YOU FOR HE SPELING LESSON BAXTER. I SAW A SMALL TOWN CELEBRATE THE INFESTATION OF TRICHINOSIS IN THE MEAN SPIRITED DOMINATING FAMILY OF THE TOWN.
THERE'S A LOT OF HATE IN SOME SMALL TOWNS IN THIS COUNTRY,

DUTCH

My adoptive father taught in a one-room school; at home, he used his belt to help with spelling lessons.
Small town v. big city; there can be a fine line between knowing too much or too little about one's neighbors.
Back on the topic:
I'm told that many TX stock-growers consider harvesting the shot hogs as being of little interest to them. Shoot them, take them if you want them sort of thing.

THERE'S A LOT OF HATE IN SOME SMALL TOWNS IN THIS COUNTRY

The first thing I think about wanting to do is to leave any town when I get there. There are all about the same, I don't begrudge them, just don't like them.
That is a fine looking boar, but I would pass. Male boar meat has never been my taste. Sow, or young'un, have had some great meals from them.

checked game cams yesterday ive got 3 giant size boars coming in ill be hunting them while on vacation. these are some big pigs, I here roundball tossed around a lot but you womt get a pass through with rb on these maybe .58 for sur with my pedersoli Kodiak double .72. ill use one og my .54s with 535 gr no excuse or one of my 50s with the no excuse 600 grView attachment 21053 View attachment 21054 View attachment 21055
Go get em Howie ! You have killing those big ones down to an art !

We had a late acorn crop this year in E. Texas, like Howie acorns are still dropping an my place.
However, most around my ponds are still on the ground kinda like an acorn carpet.
Good luck Howie with those big hogs!
Sam A.
We have had the most incredible acorn crop this year on our ranch in Mills County. Still have them on the trees. Amazing year.

take them if you want them sort of thing.

I can understand their attitude, hogs tear out more than they are worth. I just hate to kill, just to be killing. I try to make a selective harvest my family can use.
You have a good selection of lead to throw at them, I use a .54 with 110 grains of 2f.
Missouri conservation doesn't want us to shoot the hogs, they want to trap them and try to eliminate them before they get a better foot hold. The hogs I have seen in south Missouri are not what I call a wild hog. I would call them razor backs, related to the Russian boar that was imported for sporting purposes, but they will inner breed. I have seen some in Texas that looks more like the Russian too, others just look like a domesticated hog.

It has been an amazing year as far as acorns go. We still got a "ton" of them on the ground. It being dry probably has alot
to do with that, but where did they all come from in a dry year?

XCyTpuCl.jpg

I guess a guy could say I have a little experience with feral hogs...this guy was my 700th from one of the properties I hunt. We are experiencing an acorn crop this year that is more than I have ever seen on the ground, and it's certainly effected the deer and hog hunting. All the hogs are really fat right now.
For guys not acquainted with hog hunting and eating of feral hogs I guess I could offer a little advice. Large boars are just not worth keeping for eating purposes, but sows are at basically any size. The pork is not really different from farm raised hogs, as it needs to be properly cooked. Studies have suggested that is be cooked to an internal temperature of 160 degrees to kill off any parasites...which should be done with any hog. When I shoot a large boar, I just donate it to the coyotes and buzzards. Often times a 200 lb. boar will completely disappear in one night....and probably leave a smile on the buzzards faces.
Keep up the good work Howie !!

Very true SB!!!! I’ve posted this before but this is my perfect size. See! Notice one hand pick up!

Perfect size for wifey and I!

This one is just about as big as I like to shoot! Sow too!!! Delicious!

our oaks still have green leaves, as stated it is important to heat to 160 degrees. I do make an honest effort to ensure any or all meat is utilized. here in east Texas I utilize the 2 hour rule from the time of recovery no more than 2 hours to get skinned and quartered. I have numbers in my phone everytime I shoot one for a guy to come pick them up mainly I shoot large trophy boar however I will kill one for my freezer usually something 200lbs or less

Back