• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

When hog hunting dont go as planned with video

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Howie1968

40 Cal.
Reaction score
ive been spending alot of time deer hunting , i have a couple really nice bucks im looking at in the upper 160s on our place. the one big 12 has been coming through my pig spot every couple days eating corn and such chasing does. i have this one big boar hanging around i do have a feeder up for the hogs which helps me eliminate them, this hog has been staying at the feeder eating every kernel of corn at 8am 330 and 530 pm. i got off work at 7am and threw my TC treehawk in the car along with a couple bullets 370 gr maxiball wonderwads caps and 2 tubes of premeasured 80 grains pyrodex rs. my thought was get into my blind before 8am as he was showing up at 801 according to game cam. just as i was about to make the right to my groundblind i heard a noise to my left i hurried cocked the treehawk hit record on the go pro that was on my head. the boar stood up with his neck and head protruding in front of a pine tree i had literally 2 seconds to make a decision he took a step and i fired i thought i heard him drop. after the smoke cleared i sat down for a bit as ive been battling a respiritory infection the last week. when i went to where he was at i seen a sapling that was split in two but no sign of the bullet. i finally found a speck of blood i ended up hearing the boar growl so i went towards the direction he jumped up out of a pine thicket and ran he stopped for a second and could see his upper chest was bloody. i had 1 bullet remaining so i decided to go back home get me a bigger caliber and ill go sit the feeder again. i believe he is single lunged. these boars can survive a single lung shot seen it hundreds of times. from my video i was able to get a still picture of him just before the shot and after the bed and the sapling. i rarely have these types of hunts but sometimes it happens

126095334_10222496729143802_9097446593394707085_n.jpg
126322342_10222496263852170_2389373461752575224_n.jpg
126417555_10222496264892196_8364412084935215223_n.jpg
124093783_10222397635826531_6341289151703904292_o.jpg

i was able to find him, he crossed into national forrest i went home and grabbed one of my tc big boar .58s i got at about 40 yards i nailed him and dropped him i had my lyman plains pistol with me and gave him a assurance shot to the skull. im not used to it working out like this. i got his back straps off him and hiked out
OIP.jpg

Howie,
So very cool! You have too much fun with those piney woods rooters. Hope you get over the respiratory problems soon. You need to be careful with the C-19 bug about.

ive been spending alot of time deer hunting , i have a couple really nice bucks im looking at in the upper 160s on our place. the one big 12 has been coming through my pig spot every couple days eating corn and such chasing does. i have this one big boar hanging around i do have a feeder up for the hogs which helps me eliminate them, this hog has been staying at the feeder eating every kernel of corn at 8am 330 and 530 pm. i got off work at 7am and threw my TC treehawk in the car along with a couple bullets 370 gr maxiball wonderwads caps and 2 tubes of premeasured 80 grains pyrodex rs. my thought was get into my blind before 8am as he was showing up at 801 according to game cam. just as i was about to make the right to my groundblind i heard a noise to my left i hurried cocked the treehawk hit record on the go pro that was on my head. the boar stood up with his neck and head protruding in front of a pine tree i had literally 2 seconds to make a decision he took a step and i fired i thought i heard him drop. after the smoke cleared i sat down for a bit as ive been battling a respiritory infection the last week. when i went to where he was at i seen a sapling that was split in two but no sign of the bullet. i finally found a speck of blood i ended up hearing the boar growl so i went towards the direction he jumped up out of a pine thicket and ran he stopped for a second and could see his upper chest was bloody. i had 1 bullet remaining so i decided to go back home get me a bigger caliber and ill go sit the feeder again. i believe he is single lunged. these boars can survive a single lung shot seen it hundreds of times. from my video i was able to get a still picture of him just before the shot and after the bed and the sapling. i rarely have these types of hunts but sometimes it happens

View attachment 51090View attachment 51091View attachment 51092View attachment 51093

is it legal to bait them? doesn't seem very sporting, if this what it seems to be? just curious?

i was able to find him, he crossed into national forrest i went home and grabbed one of my tc big boar .58s i got at about 40 yards i nailed him and dropped him i had my lyman plains pistol with me and gave him a assurance shot to the skull. im not used to it working out like this. i got his back straps off him and hiked outView attachment 51131
sounds like you will have some great bacon & hams!! KUDDOS! to you.

is it legal to bait them? doesn't seem very sporting, if this what it seems to be? just curious?
Toot, obviously you know absolutely nothing about hunting hogs with a comment like that! Come to East Texas to the pineywoods and go hunt them without bait. Hunt them for 37 years as I have count your wild hog kills over 37 years without bait and tell me how many you kill!. I'm not meaning any disrespect. As a hunting guide and former outfitter who specializes in trophy 7 year old trophy boars I can assure you that your success without bait would not be worth the trouble. First of all hogs in the wild tend to be nocturnal. Nomadic and you are dealing with an animal that has the 3rd or 4th best intelligence of any mammal, proved by science. ThierRchy is man,primate, either dolphin or pig is next. They have the best smell ears in the woods. With eyes that detect movement better than most people realize. Texas has the highest population of hogs in the Us. We are allowed to hunt them by any means necessary with the exception to poison or explosives.. if you do not bait the chances of a man consistantly killing them is extremely difficult

I agree with Howie 100%. The feral hog problem is so bad in Texas the state hires sharpshooters to kill them with helicopters and assault rifles at night. They aren't a game animal in Texas, they're a destructive nuisance with no bag limit or season. A sow can have 3 litters of 10 a year.

They cause millions of dollars in crop and property damage annually and have moved into populated areas. Ive been dispatched to dispatch (pun intended) them on many occasions inside city limits.

I've killed them with a 22 long rifle to 12 gauge slugs to ought six and everything in between.

I first hunted them in 98, I've only killed about a dozen, my hunting buddy has killed over 50. Only one has been killed that was NOT over bait.

But you'd starve to death and walk you're feet off trying to kill one with a muzzleloader not over feed.

Howie1968: After what I've seen lately, I'm not sure I would put man above the pig!!
Toot: Wild pigs are not an indigenous species, but rather an invasive pest that is extremely destructive to the habitat & to agriculture. They are considered a menace wherever they roam. With the ability to have up to three litters a year, their population can explode to unmanageable levels & is extremely difficult to reduce. Most Game Departments encourage their slaughter. No closed season, no limit, practically no restrictions. In Texas you can even shoot them from a helicopter!!

Kinda like hunting people at McDonald's. 😣 Just doesn't look "Sporting" and probably shouldn't be called "Hunting" but instead extermination of invasive animals. Puts a black mark on actual "Hunting" IMO.

Some folks don't understand the work other guys put into trying to keep the population of feral hogs down. Hunting at a feeder is a very common way, but generally has to be done in the middle of the night as the hogs are nocturnal. Trapping is another common method, but it's not always a very active way to do it as in the south the hogs have other things to feed on that really get their attention, like acorns. When the acorns are falling, the hogs darned near disappear into the woods.
I started hunting and trapping hogs a little over 10 years ago, and the one property I work the most has produced 779 of them so far. I've killed a few hundred on other properties too, but I just don't keep count on those areas. I don't know what some folks necessarily call "sporting"...but it's a lot of work....I know that !!

Kinda like hunting people at McDonald's. 😣 Just doesn't look "Sporting" and probably shouldn't be called "Hunting" but instead extermination of invasive animals. Puts a black mark on actual "Hunting" IMO.
Why is keeping a population of destructive animals in check a "black mark" on hunting?? The other animals that are hurt by pigs running amuck through their habitat is the "black mark" we should be concerned about. The guys that kill pigs should be commended, not ridiculed. After all, we humans are the ones that released them. If you think you can hunt pigs in a "sporting" fashion & actually kill some, you have a lot to learn.

Pigs here on the coastal plain of SC are wrecking our forests and playing hell with any ground-nesting wildlife. They run deer off the acorns and other critical forage. DNR basically says shoot 'em any time with anything, with some restrictions.
Baiting for deer is routine here as well. Just because you bait doesn't mean you see game. Once the acorn "storm" begins in mid-October you'll be mostly bird and squirrel watching until at least the end of November. It's a whole different ballgame from the hilly Midwest I grew up in.

Curious, how do you guys hunt pigs?

And the McDonalds comment........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back