• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

When hog hunting dont go as planned with video

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have never flushed anything other than the toilet. "Hunting" is all ambush. Even a "drive" involves the game being driven towards the ambush.

I also never hunted birds except turkeys and you don't sneak up on them either.

However, I didn't even think about bird hunting, never done it, thus it didn't come to mind. I guess one does "flush out" certain birds or rabbits?

Maybe if you were a landowner you would have a different perspective and not consider it whining and crying.

When you add the costs of owning land, all the durn taxes and associated costs that go with it, is expensive. I do not know anyone whose cows pay for themselves, mine sure do not. The cows allow you an Ag. Exemption to lower the taxes so you can keep it.

I have enough trouble finding folks to lease to who are responsible hunters and act like adults. Lessors have to be monitored to assure they are following the rules and they are paying for the right to be there.

If you want to trespass to hunt in Texas, you are going to pay for the right to do so. I know no one who allows free hunting. Most of my neighbors have quit leasing because of prior problems.

Folks think they are just going to show up and eradicate the hogs on a person's place, does not happen that way. Hogs are smarter than most hunters

Hunting with a ML decreases your odds of killing one significantly. You are limited to 100 yards with your shooting and limited to hunting daylight hours. Near 100% of the hogs I see driving around checking on things are running. How many folks can get out of a vehicle and kill a running hog?

When I hunt with a ML I hunt from a blind with a feeder. It's the only way to even the odds.I

I guess in reflection, when you go out to eat, do you expect free food from a restaurant owner? He has been paying all the bills trying to make a living.
It is more like the restaurant owner expecting his suppliers to pay him for supplying him and delivering food. THAT would be a MUCH BETER analysis or comparison. Landowners have paying customers for there products i.e. cattle and agriculture crops. Yes it is still whining when help is there and you expect them to pay to help out.

I agree with Howie 100%. The feral hog problem is so bad in Texas the state hires sharpshooters to kill them with helicopters and assault rifles at night. They aren't a game animal in Texas, they're a destructive nuisance with no bag limit or season. A sow can have 3 litters of 10 a year.

They cause millions of dollars in crop and property damage annually and have moved into populated areas. Ive been dispatched to dispatch (pun intended) them on many occasions inside city limits.

I've killed them with a 22 long rifle to 12 gauge slugs to ought six and everything in between.

I first hunted them in 98, I've only killed about a dozen, my hunting buddy has killed over 50. Only one has been killed that was NOT over bait.

But you'd starve to death and walk you're feet off trying to kill one with a muzzleloader not over feed.
The feral hog can have litters every 8 months. Up to 16 to a litter and I have trapped 14 in a trap, one adult sow, one yearling, and 12 piglets. I was on a ranch where 60 to 80 in a group could be seen daily in a field. Yearly Texas takes out 3 to 400,000 hogs a year estimates are that 1 million a year would keep the population stable. I retired from TPWD in 2018 this is what biologist studies concluded.

i cut the head off i will european mount him, i normally pull the cutters and wetters and make necklaces for my grandkids
Nothing to do with wild tuskers but we had a neighbor who worked down at the railroad stock yards below our house. He would bring us kids the tusks from the ones they would yank out to keep them from tearing up the other hogs. Never knew they did such a thing and don't know whatever became of those ones he gave us.

In some states and provinces you can hunt hogs, bears and deer over bait. Perfectly legal, ethical and effective. No different than leaving an acre of corn or beans unharvested for the same purpose. I can never understand people that have the “My way of hunting is superior to yours” attitude.

In some states and provinces you can hunt hogs, bears and deer over bait. Perfectly legal, ethical and effective. No different than leaving an acre of corn or beans unharvested for the same purpose. I can never understand people that have the “My way of hunting is superior to yours” attitude.
easy to understand. feeding animals to get their trust then shooting them aint hunting I dont care if it is legal

No different than hunting the edge of a corn or bean field. Or hunting the only bedding cover around. Like I said, I can’t understand that attitude and I’m sure it will never change.

easy to understand. feeding animals to get their trust then shooting them aint hunting I dont care if it is legal

Then don’t come to Texas. Tell you what, I will get you on a South Texas ranch and guarantee you that you will be able to shoot a 180 class deer. Except…you don’t get to use the feeders or the stands. And no crying about not seeing anything at the end of the hunt.

All this “stop liking what I don’t like!” is really unbecoming and childish.

That's a dandy hog, nice job following up. Like the fact that you went home for a bigger caliber. Reminds me of Jaws when sheriff Brody wanted to go back for a bigger boat... Don't blame you though, those hogs can wreck you in a hurry, woulda done the same.

Then don’t come to Texas. Tell you what, I will get you on a South Texas ranch and guarantee you that you will be able to shoot a 180 class deer. Except…you don’t get to use the feeders or the stands. And no crying about not seeing anything at the end of the hunt.

All this “stop liking what I don’t like!” is really unbecoming and childish.
tough guy mind your business I wasnt talking to you and the guy I mentioned it to acted like a gentleman not a cranky old guy that might as well go to a zoo to shoot an animal. dont worry about me going to texas.

No different than hunting the edge of a corn or bean field. Or hunting the only bedding cover around. Like I said, I can’t understand that attitude and I’m sure it will never change.
you are right about that

Hogs are animals that went wild not native/ They do a lot of damage to farmers fields. I personally don,t hunt over bait but I also understand people wanting hogs gone. I hunted the Hill Country in Texas with a recurve bow once. I managed to get a hog, not a big one but one 250 pounds. I was going to a a site that over looked a very small stream that had dried up but had a few puddles. While walking to my spot a few hogs were running away from something and ran in front of me at about17 steps. I picked the one in front and got lucky with a lung hit. He went 20 yards and layed down. I followed to soon and he got up and ran another 20 or 30 yards. There was a huge pile of pink bubbley blood where he layed down. I had made a very lucky lung hit. My friend that lived close to Sabinal had fields damaged by hogs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back