• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

ITTY BITTY BALLS

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

APG

45 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I cast some .310 round balls for my .32 caliber rifle. Those things are tiny compared to the .490 and the 500 grain minieballs. Got around 300 usable balls using hardly any lead. Used a magnifying glass to pick out the usable ones from the bad.

Attachments

• 20230303_192941.jpg
    20230303_192941.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 5
  • 20230303_131351.jpg
    20230303_131351.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230303_123547.jpg
    20230303_123547.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230303_123532.jpg
    20230303_123532.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230303_123514.jpg
    20230303_123514.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
I cast some .310 round balls for my .32 caliber rifle. Those things are tiny compared to the .490 and the 500 grain minieballs. Got around 300 usable balls using hardly any lead. Used a magnifying glass to pick out the usable ones from the bad.
Nice work. The .32 caliber RB are small little things for sure. Definitely economical as well. But for this ole boy, they are a bit cumbersome to load in the woods. My old numb and bumbling fingers just ain't what they use to be. Other than being somewhat difficult to deal with, in terms of loading, I really like my little .32 Crockett Squirrel Rifle.

Nice work. The .32 caliber RB are small little things for sure. Definitely economical as well. But for this ole boy, they are a bit cumbersome to load in the woods. My old numb and bumbling fingers just ain't what they use to be. Other than being somewhat difficult to deal with, in terms of loading, I really like my little .32 Crockett Squirrel Rifle.
I too have trouble handling the .32 caliber balls. I found that using a loading block really helps at the range and in the hunting field.

I too have trouble handling the .32 caliber balls. I found that using a loading block really helps at the range and in the hunting field.
Never used a loading block and I do not understand how you can center the hole in the board directly over the board. I have given this some thought and I was going to make one, but it would not be like a speed loader with the plastic ends that opens up.

Never used a loading block and I do not understand how you can center the hole in the board directly over the board. I have given this some thought and I was going to make one, but it would not be like a speed loader with the plastic ends that opens up.
You could always have a counterbore on one side of the board that fits over the muzzle of your barrel to center the hole with the ball in it directly over the bore.

You could always have a counterbore on one side of the board that fits over the muzzle of your barrel to center the hole with the ball in it directly over the bore.

That's a good idea. That never would have crossed my mind. Especially with the size board needed to have more than a few extra shots ready. But in a larger caliber gun I can see that where you might only need a few more shots.

I *assumed* you set the ball a bit proud on the one side to aid in punching it home.

But honestly, I've never seen one in use.

That's a good idea. That never would have crossed my mind. Especially with the size board needed to have more than a few extra shots ready. But in a larger caliber gun I can see that where you might only need a few more shots.

I *assumed* you set the ball a bit proud on the one side to aid in punching it home.

But honestly, I've never seen one in use.
That's what i do. The patched ball is pushed thru the hole so it sticks out on the back side. Place that proud patched ball in the muzzle, and use your short starter to send it home.

That's what i do. The patched ball is pushed thru the hole so it sticks out on the back side. Place that proud patched ball in the muzzle, and use your short starter to send it home.

And bob's your uncle :thumb:

So how do you do that?
Do you have a punch/short starter set up to only tap the ball so far through the block?
Or maybe set the block on a thin piece of rubber and use a regular short starter until it bottoms out?

I cut my .50 block from rock hard oak (taken out of a 160 yr old barn and very, very hard) I cut recesses that match the outside of the barrel using a Forster bit then bored them through with a 1/2 in. The blocks are a bit bulky but line the ball up with the center of the bore. When I made flat ones either I pushed the ball too far and it would fall out in my bag or it was difficult to line up.

And bob's your uncle :thumb:

So how do you do that?
Do you have a punch/short starter set up to only tap the ball so far through the block?
Or maybe set the block on a thin piece of rubber and use a regular short starter until it bottoms out?
I don’t use one any more, but I cut the hole a wee bit larger then the ball size so it was tight enough to hold, but loose enough I could push it through. Let a bit of the ball stick through and it could fit into the bore ‘automatically’ so no trouble to line up

I don’t use one any more, but I cut the hole a wee bit larger then the ball size so it was tight enough to hold, but loose enough I could push it through. Let a bit of the ball stick through and it could fit into the bore ‘automatically’ so no trouble to line up

Thanks

I set my loading block on a paperback book that is soft enough so that when i tap my short starter it sinks the ball far enough that it self centers on the bore when i am loading.

Push the balls through the board until it sticks out a little bit the just put it in the barrel end and shove it on through16780639689587373461470155091046.jpg

Had the opposite reaction. Ran me some .735s, first time with this size, ran a few and thought why’s my pot empty????
Same here when casting 500 grain minieballs for my Pedersoli 1861 Springfield. 14 minieballs per pound. Compared to 155 per lb of the .310's or 40 for the .490's. Really save the money casting the minieballs about a dollar apiece for them store bought.

Latest posts

Back