• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

It's me again Margaret

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike in FL

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm still fretting with my Colonial lock. I followed Jim's advice and disassembled the lock to facilitate filing and fitting into the inlet. (too late I realized disassembly ain't neccessary) Got that done and conquered the other problem I had with the cock screw meeting the threads of the tumbler. In reassembling the lock, the last step is the frizzen screw which I can't seem to line up with the hole. I'm wondering if I need to again remove the main spring. I been fretting with it all day. Maybe I got reassembly steps out of order.

Does the frizzen spring have to go on and be screwed in before the main spring? I can’t remember the order but I do remember even Jim did it backwards in his video. LOL

I use a mainspring vise on the mainspring but vice grips on the frizzen spring. I put leather on the top and bottom of the frizzen spring and start with the vice grips barely compressing spring, if the screw won't start, I adjust the vice grips slightly as many times as it takes until the screw will start.

I learned long ago that ham-fisted gun work is a bad idea, finesse is the word for us red neck gun builders who make do with what we have, and yes, I remove TC mainsprings with needle nose pliers.

I'm still fretting with my Colonial lock. I followed Jim's advice and disassembled the lock to facilitate filing and fitting into the inlet. (too late I realized disassembly ain't neccessary) Got that done and conquered the other problem I had with the cock screw meeting the threads of the tumbler. In reassembling the lock, the last step is the frizzen screw which I can't seem to line up with the hole. I'm wondering if I need to again remove the main spring. I been fretting with it all day. Maybe I got reassembly steps out of order.
The mainspring has nothing to do with the frizzen. As others pointed out you need to slightly compress the Frizzen spring I use a small C clamp to do that. It won't take much just enough to let the frizzen sit flat on the pan and the screw will go right in.

Is the frozen spring the one that touches the toe of the frizzen? Is if also called the main spring?
The mainspring is on the inside of the lock and operates the tumbler. The frizzen spring rests on the toe of the frizzen. The mainspring has nothing to do with the operation of the frizzen.

Here is a diagram with labeled parts from L&R Locks.
I still don't know the names of all of the parts, but this should help.

https://lr-rpl.com/diagram-of-parts-flintlock/

1693322892307.png

Diagram of Parts – Flintlock​

Disassembly/Assembly Instructions with the Durs Egg Flintlock as “Example”.
Tools: 1/4” flat screwdriver / 6” or 8” common pliars / small hammer & center
A vice is handy, but optional

SEQUENCE OF LOCK DISASSEMBLY
  1. Remove main spring: a. Hammer must be all the way down. b. Compress any spring only the amount necessary. Overstress will collapse or break it. A pair of pliers is best.
  2. Remove stirrup: Take note that it hangs in the “S” position with small end in the tumbler. Any other position can cause damage! (“Z” position for left hand models only.)
  3. Remove sear spring.
  4. Remove sear screw and sear. (When reinstalling, tighten screw only until contact is made between bridle and sear. Then back up 1/4 turn, so sear will operate freely.)
  5. Remove top bridle screw and bridle.
  6. To remove the tumbler from the plate:
    1. Take out hammer screw.
    2. Using the jaws of a vise, tum the tumbler side of the plate down, with the vise jaws only far enough apart to allow the tumbler to fit freely. Now, using a punch that will just fit the square hammer hole, tap the tumbler out of the hammer. Caution: Keep track of the fly during this operation!
  7. Remove fly from tumbler. (Take note of the fly’s position regarding its beveled edge. It must be reinstalled in the same way.)
  8. Remove frizzen spring screw and spring.
  9. Remove frizzen pivot screw and frizzen.
LOCK REASSEMBLY

1. Install frizzen and pivot screw.
  2. Install frizzen spring and screw.
  3. Install fly in tumbler. (Remember the position of the beveled edge.)
  4. Install tumbler in plate.
  5. Install bridle and top screw.
  6. Install sear and sear spring. (Remember about screw tension.)
  7. Install stirrup so that it “hangs” properly.
  8. Install main spring. (Be sure tumbler is in relaxed position, as if hammer were all the way down.)
  9. With pliers or properly adjusted vise grips, tum the hammer pole to the “half cock” position. Press the hammer onto the tumbler. Install the hammer screw. If the hammer is properly tight on the tumbler, it should not be necessary to do more than “finger tighten” the hammer screw.

... I followed Jim's advice and disassembled the lock to facilitate filing and fitting into the inlet. ...
The way I remember it, disassembling the lock was only predicated if you wanted to brown or black it because you had to be able to wash off the coloring agent to keep it from continuing to corrode where the parts meet. I could be wrong!

The way I remember it, disassembling the lock was only predicated if you wanted to brown or black it because you had to be able to wash off the coloring agent to keep it from continuing to corrode where the parts meet. I could be wrong!
Yes, A thing g I learned too late.

Latest posts

Back