• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

IT WAS BOUND TO HAPPEN.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Was sighting in my .45 Seneca with FFFG instead of FFG today. Everything was going fine ( had fired 5 or 6 times with no problem). However, I feel I may have been concentrating on moving the gun sights and maybe forgot to load the powder. Anyway, I pulled on 3 caps and nothing happened. So I unscrewed the nipple and it looked like the opening was clogged up; perhaps from the caps? Anyway I cleaned it really well and screwed it back in. New cap again, and no boom. So I removed and cleaned the nipple again and this time packed the channel with grains of 3F and screwed the nipple back in. Another cap but no boom. But I did notice that some smoke and a bit of flame came out of the end of the barrel but no discharge of the main load. So I am wondering that because the gun did not go off, what I saw was really from the additional powder I had packed into the channel and that I had neglected to actually load powder the first time around? Does anyone have any thoughts that this would be correct? I obviously haven't cleaned the gun, so I am going to soak the barrel overnight and try to pull the ball tomorrow unless someone has a better idea? Thanks

I have discharged a dry ball from my .54 GPR with maybe 10 grains of 4F. Ball still unfound . You may need to pull the ball if the patch didn't seal any better than it seems. By the way I have done this several times and have never had to extract a dry ball any other way.
Dave

If you did indeed forget to load the powder and put a few grains under the nipple, the resulting firing smoke and flame would indicate to me that the few grains did their job and shot the ball out. There won't be a lot of noise. Use a damp patch to check to see if there is a ball down the breech. If a ball is loaded the air pressure will push against the jag and patch. If the ball is now gone, you should hear the air rush out the nipple. Mark the rod and measure it against the barrel. If there is a ball, the rod will stop about a ball's length ahead of the breech.

In the past I have got enough powder in the barrel through the nipple to clear the barrel.

I Have also heard of guys using compressed air it I am not familiar with this method.

I am not understanding how you saw flames come out the end of the barrel but the ball didn’t come out.

I’d be careful with my suggestions to make sure the ball isn’t struck mid way in the barrel.

I bought a .45 T/C one time for $50 with a lot of accessories because the guy left it loaded for several years and couldn’t get it to fire.

He assumed it was junk. I took it home pulled the nipple wiggled enough powder in that it shot the ball out the barrel about 5 feet
Took me about 5 mins.

i ended up killing 2 deer and a coyote with it.

In the past I have got enough powder in the barrel through the nipple to clear the barrel.

I Have also heard of guys using compressed air it I am not familiar with this method.

I am not understanding how you saw flames come out the end of the barrel but the ball didn’t come out.

I’d be careful with my suggestions to make sure the ball isn’t struck mid way in the barrel.

I bought a .45 T/C one time for $50 with a lot of accessories because the guy left it loaded for several years and couldn’t get it to fire.

He assumed it was junk. I took it home pulled the nipple wiggled enough powder in that it shot the ball out the barrel about 5 feet
Took me about 5 mins.

i ended up killing 2 deer and a coyote with it.
Thanks Boker. Actually, the ball may have even come out but I just didn't didn't notice it?

If you did indeed forget to load the powder and put a few grains under the nipple, the resulting firing smoke and flame would indicate to me that the few grains did their job and shot the ball out. There won't be a lot of noise. Use a damp patch to check to see if there is a ball down the breech. If a ball is loaded the air pressure will push against the jag and patch. If the ball is now gone, you should hear the air rush out the nipple. Mark the rod and measure it against the barrel. If there is a ball, the rod will stop about a ball's length ahead of the breech.
very good advice Grenadier. I never did check to see if the ball came out or not. There was not a lot of noise.

YESSSSSSSSSS!!! THE BALL IS GONE. I never noticed it or checked with my RR to see if it was.! I just checked with my RR and it even goes past the mark I made on it when I first time I loaded the gun after I got it. What a relief. Thanks so much guys, I really appreciate you helping me out. Flashpoint

Don't feel bad. I once thought I had dry balled when the gun refused to fire. It was at a shoot and I was distracted by trying to help a shooter who had his ramrod and cleaning patch stuck. I tried a ball puller but could not get the puller to grip the ball. I was done for the day. When I got home I pulled the breech only to find out I had not loaded. The barrel was empty!Live and learn!

I dry balled once and with about 2g of 0B in the touch hole I aimed at a cinder block about 10 yards away to verify the ball came out I walked over and looked and it barely knocked a chip out of the cinder block and put a little lead colored circle where it hit. There won't be much more than a poof....

there are two kinds of people in this world
Those who have dry balled a gun
Those who are going to dry ball a gun
Bunk

It's been over 45 years, and I'm still waitin' ……………. :D

I have, however, helped a few other folks remove a dry ball, either via trickling some powder into the ignition channel or using a CO2 discharger (with or w/o a flintlock adaptor).

BID-ml1082.jpg

Last edited:
Add me to the club!

I dry balled my .58 Zouave once but like others managed to get enough powder into the drum to fire and get a light 'whoooof' and the ball shoot out about 10'

Thanks Boker. Actually, the ball may have even come out but I just didn't didn't notice it?
Make yourself one of these. Thread the end to match whatever the threads are on your particular gun. Use any compressor or hand pump to push the ball out. wrap the muzzle in some rags to catch the ball. A bit of powder in the flash channel is quicker, but this is quieter when there is a damp load causing the misfire. Might save a call from the SWAT team.

Attachments

• Air extractor5.JPG
    Air extractor5.JPG
    259.2 KB · Views: 111
there are two kinds of people in this world
Those who have dry balled a gun
Those who are going to dry ball a gun
Bunk
😂
Make yourself one of these. Thread the end to match whatever the threads are on your particular gun. Use any compressor or hand pump to push the ball out. wrap the muzzle in some rags to catch the ball. A bit of powder in the flash channel is quicker, but this is quieter when there is a damp load causing the misfire. Might save a call from the SWAT team.
Great idea. can't wait till I do it again so I can try it out :doh:

Back