• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

It just was not right!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've actually done that more times than I can even begin to remember. And this is with no restrictions except money.

Some years ago I got a used H&R Springfield Stalker that had a homemade ramrod. The tip was a .38 special cartridge case but it had a LIVE primer in it! Don't know if you could ram it hard enough to set off the primer, but that didn't seem like a good idea to me and quickly got rid of it!

My powder measure for small bores are trimmed down 357 cases and I make powder funnels for my 32 by cutting the end off of 243 cases and using a chamfer to smooth the edges. The 243 case slips over the powder filled 357 measure and the neck fits into the barrel end.

They are still on the Delrin rod.
I just fancied my own touch.

Brit, I'm afraid you borrowed that "touch" from our elders...
The William Moore shotgun i bought has an old UPC 30WCF case for the tip. The cartridge dates to the early 1900, I'm told.

My 20 bore had no tip to speak of... making it impossible to seat a wad.
I used a 303 British case to form the tip... thought you'd like that!!

I'll tell you what... just for you I'll get my SMLE out of the safe and cradle it a while...
Cheers!

Last edited:
Brit, I'm afraid you borrowed that "touch" from our elders...
The William Moore shotgun i bought has an old UPC 30WCF case for the tip. The cartridge dates to the early 1900, I'm told.

My 20 bore had no tip to speak of... making it impossible to seat a wad.
I used a 303 British case to form the tip... thought you'd like that!!

I'll tell you what... just for you I'll get my SMLE out of the safe and cradle it a while...
Cheers!
Lol.....
I was looking for a 30/30 case. I shot a lot of 30/30 but could I heck find a case lying around!
Not to worry.
A piece of ivory would of been nice!

I've done that in the past; used pistol cartridge cases, but if you could find such a thing, I suspect that it might be a gaoling offense, if the constable were to note it.
Still, a good solution you've worked.

I save and capture all the spent cartridge cases I can for ram rods, powder measures and inlays. Fortunate enough to have good hickory on my place. I cut splits and pull them through a sizer. I pin rod ends as I don't trust the epoxy.

I save and capture all the spent cartridge cases I can for ram rods, powder measures and inlays. Fortunate enough to have good hickory on my place. I cut splits and pull them through a sizer. I pin rod ends as I don't trust the epoxy.
I collect all my spent cases too. But I just fill them back up and use them again, and again, and again......
(Dang, not supposed to talk about that.......)

Latest posts

Back