It just was not right!!

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Britsmoothy

70 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
In spring I replaced the short grained Pedersoli rammer on my Indian trade gun with a Delrin rod.
It works fine but it ain't right, it ain't wood!
So I orders some doweling and butchers a 6.5mm Swede case to form a rammer.
Now some of you may sniff but now I can sleep again! :)
IMG_20191015_203929634.jpg
B.

Baxter

54 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I've done that in the past; used pistol cartridge cases, but if you could find such a thing, I suspect that it might be a gaoling offense, if the constable were to note it.
Still, a good solution you've worked.

Walkingeagle

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Nice!!
Quite resourceful for sure but gotta ask, if the Delrin rod wasn’t traditional, how is the 6.5 better??
Just pullin yur leg sir, good job!
Walk

Carbon 6

75 Cal.
Reaction score
Nothing quite has the feel of wood .
Delrin and synthetic stocks just don't feel right.

I am concerned though, that you don't seem to have an easily accessible source for ramrod tips in the UK.
What did you do with your original tips ?

Britsmoothy

70 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Nothing quite has the feel of wood .
Delrin and synthetic stocks just don't feel right.

I am concerned though, that you don't seem to have an easily accessible source for ramrod tips in the UK.
What did you do with your original tips ?
They are still on the Delrin rod.
I just fancied my own touch.

Britsmoothy

70 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Nice!!
Quite resourceful for sure but gotta ask, if the Delrin rod wasn’t traditional, how is the 6.5 better??
Just pullin yur leg sir, good job!
Walk
I don't have much brass (cases) lying around these these days.

Britsmoothy

70 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I've done that in the past; used pistol cartridge cases, but if you could find such a thing, I suspect that it might be a gaoling offense, if the constable were to note it.
Still, a good solution you've worked.
No sir, I can go buy brass cases or beg some if I needed.
I use to reload all my rifle cartridges. I sold and gave the gear away. Only have rimfires now.

renegadehunter

32 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Looks good to me Brit. It'll look even better once that brass gets dirtied up some.
I just made an antler handled short starter. I had some hickory for the shaft and an old ram rod tip for the end of it, but was lacking the small "starter" piece/nub that is used to first start a PRB into the bore. I ended up drilling the spent primer out of a 22-250 case, used a drill bit slightly smaller than the diameter of the head of the case to give it a concave head that sits over a .530 RB nicely, and then cut it off and set it into the antler. Not PC, but pleasing to me to use none the less.

EC121

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I used small pistol brass and 5/16" wooden ramrod to make a short starter for my .40 and .36. It is lighter than the solid brass rod type with the round wooden ball. Waste not want not!!!

Phil Coffins

40 Cal.
Reaction score
It used to amaze me how folks in the more regulated country’s manage to make do. Then I became friends with fellow from New Zealand and on his visit here he often commented on how we in America can get anything and often locally. We went to visit him at his home and that drove it home! To get the most common items was an effort and special things like gun parts is near impossible. He routinely made parts that I just buy. I love this country!

Heelerau

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I have been know to make up ramrods with hardwood dowel and a suitable cartridge case as a tip !