• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

It ain't fancy, but it's mine! :)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ironwood

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Here's a photo of my CVA Hawken .50 caliber. It was a Christmas gift from my wife.

Muzzleloader_Hawken_II.jpg

Good looking gun ye gots thar! Especially nice grain in the lower stock.

Especially nice wife ye gots too. Hard ta find a woman who wal buy ye a Christmas present ye really want an a gun to boot!

Nice wood Ironwood. Turner Kirkland used to say a piece of wood like that was "...taken from the root wad of a tree high atop a hill where nature had run amok".

Ironwood,.... Thet sure is a nice hunk'a wood, it's even purty'er then some I had on custom rifleguns!! :)

For what it's worth, now that I look at that stock again I've got to say it actually does look like Ironwood. What could be more appropriate for "Ironwood" to own!

For those who don't know about the Ironwood that grows in the deserts of Arizona, it has the same almost black with brown laced thru it type of grain. It is really beautiful wood.
It is also harder than hell! I've burned up more than my share of chainsaw chains trying to cut thru it. It tends to fool the idiot with the chainsaw by cutting fairly nice until you get down about an inch or two. Then your saw just sits there with the chain making smoke.
It is also Heavy (note the capital H). It won't float in water.
The old timers in the area used it for heating and it burns like a good grade of coal. Hotter than hell and not much ash.

Whoa guys.... Guess I better fess up right quick. That's not "real" wood on that gunstock. It's the CVA Ultra Finish.

Ironwood: Whatever it is it looks good from here.
Let me take a second to thank you for the info about Photobucket. I can't hardly believe I actually got things to work, but it was simple enough for me to follow.
Thanks again.

I have this same rifle. I took the brass hardware off and blued them. it makes it look better to me. I'm not much on the fancy shiny stuff. But I do love the way it shoots.

BadHeart.... Guess it's just left over from my Navy days but if it's brass it's got to be polished. I like that shiny stuff. :)

I'm very pleased with the accuracy of my rifle. The rifle seems to like anything I feed it. It'll sure shoot lots better than these ol' eyes will let me. What more can you ask from a rifle, you load it up, it goes off, and hits what you aim at. :)

Well, I'll be dxxxed, it worked. That's an old knife and sheath I made yrs. ago.
Now if I could find out how to put an Avatar on here........

Deadeye: Looks like your on a roll with this picture posting.

Good looking knife and sheath!! Is that just the light or is there some curl in the handle?

Ironwood: I have one just like it but without the sling and swivels.That stock finish looks real! :applause: My Wife didn't buy mine but at least She let Me buy it.CVA has dropped most of the sidelocks and kits this year.If they drop the Hawken it will be a mistake.They only list the Mountain Rifle,Hawkens and the Bobcat!The Hawkens I have,shoots as well as rifles costing much more.Shoots PRB better than I thought it would with the 1:48 twist.Did the stock come with that finish or did You redo it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Deadeye: Nice job! I've got one I started about 4 yrs. ago.Sets in the dresser draw waiting to be finished like so many other projects. :boohoo: /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Back