• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Issues with new Pietta.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Dalton

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a brand new Colt Navy Pietta with an issue I can't diagnose. If the hammer is eased down from full cock on a nipple it will catch on something as it is being cocked. The hammer barely moves before it catches. If the hammer is lowered again from where it catches it will lock normally. If the hammer is lowered with more authority it does not catch. Not sure if it is something with the hammer or hand maybe. Ideas? Thanks for any input.

I have a brand new Colt Navy Pietta with an issue I can't diagnose. If the hammer is eased down from full cock on a nipple it will catch on something as it is being cocked. The hammer barely moves before it catches. If the hammer is lowered again from where it catches it will lock normally. If the hammer is lowered with more authority it does not catch. Not sure if it is something with the hammer or hand maybe. Ideas? Thanks for any input.
I just wanted to add that I have disassembled and checked for burrs.

I'm guessing you mean it catches on something when it's being "lowered" ( instead of "cocked"). If that's the case, it's the left bolt arm hitting a "too proud" cam. The reset angle cut to allow the cam to push the arm aside is probably insufficient. Those are the kind of things that heavy mainsprings cover up.

Mike

I'd check the chimney (hand mortise in frame) hand or ratchet star for any burrs or nicks that are catching also.

I think the cnc machining is what leaves sharp edges in all of the cuts. I smoothed everything with a small diamond file including the hammer slot. It's noticeably smoother now. Mine is a 2023 model. I didn't really remove any metal to speak of. Just took off the sharp edges. Take the barrel and cylinder off and it's easier to feel and see whats happening.

I am thinking that 45D is correct. When I slowly lower the hammer, I can feel it rub about where it feels like the bolt ears would engage the cam. What would be the fix? I appreciate the responses.

I am thinking that 45D is correct. When I slowly lower the hammer, I can feel it rub about where it feels like the bolt ears would engage the cam. What would be the fix? I appreciate the responses.

Blend the bottom of the cam flush with the hammer. That will remove the lip that the bolt arm is catching on.
Screenshot_20221203-181150_Gallery.jpg

Mike

Blend the bottom of the cam flush with the hammer. That will remove the lip that the bolt arm is catching on.
View attachment 315143

Mike
This is a new one made and installed last year with the taper flushed out to the body. It's made of 0-1 tool steel red loc-tited into a well fitting hole purchase.

Attachments

• IMG_2258.JPG
    IMG_2258.JPG
    156.8 KB · Views: 0
Back