• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Is This Worth It?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Worth pointing out that the Lonesome Dove version is more expensive than the standard model. As Hawk posted, they're as low as ~$650 on Gunbroker right now.

CTD used to be cheap. I bought ammo from them years ago. Then during the Sandy Hook-induced shortage, they went nuts and never came back.

Just fyi, i got a hella deal on my Uberti/Cimarron Colt Navy 51 .36 back in April $340 shipped. From M&M Outfitters. I was very happy with them, great customer service. Just wanted to give a shout out to a little guy’s company. They did right by me.
Ive heard talk that i have no clue if true that some dealers get better pistols than others from the importers and I won’t go there cause who knows, but all i can say is mine is flawless, dead nuts accurate at 40 yards and a pleasure to shoot. Thanks M&M.

Last edited:
https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/cim...whitecase-colored-finish/FC-844234240005.html
This Uberti Walker variant has the correct finish and stuff, with the nitre blue barrel and cylinder in the white. The cost is expensive however.

Is this replica worth it? Thanks!
A replica of a replica used in a movie? If you are a big fan of the movie and need it to complete your Lonesome Dove collection, maybe consider it, if it’s the only one you can find.

I have a ‘standard’ Walker made in 1996 by Uberti with charcoal bluing, case hardening frame with the cylinder in the white. It’s just the way it came. I’ve read this is how the originals looked, though I never confirmed it. CTD’s price seems more than steep for what it is. And I believe you will find very few commemoratives or ‘collectibles’ that hold their original price, or increase in value, especially if they are shot or handled much.

Gus McCrea carried a Dragoon, don't think Call carried a Walker

Welllll......Check out some of the scenes from Lonesome Dove. In the bar scene where Gus whacks the 'surly' bartender with his revolver that sure looks like a Walker or its the first Dragoon with that long of a barrel, loading lever style, and the arbor wedge entering into the right side of the frame. Other scenes also when Gus and 'Pea Eye' are being chased by Indians after chasing buffalo and Gus is firing back while on the run, sure looks like a Walker. When Gus is lying in bed after having leg amputated and threatens doctor not to cut off other leg, sure looks like a Walker he's waving around. Saw an article sometime back showing Gus's revolver, Walker for sure.
In earlier movies when Gus and Call are younger believe it was in Comanche Moon, believe Call was caring a Walker, have to review movie, but in later shows he was packing an 1860 Army conversion of one of the models based from the 1860. Believe it was in Dove that Call was admonishing Gus for still carrying his Walker and Gus advised him that it had gotten him out of alot of bad situations and he was stickin with it. Just sayin!

It's a Walker. It was converted to cartridges for the movie so they could fire blanks out of it.

1694792401530.png

The musem has it incorrectly labeled Dragoon. Not the first time. The NRA museum had Tom Selleck's guns mismarked too.

1694792530531.png

It's been years since I used to get their catalog (also Brigade Quartermaster) but they used to be a clearinghouse kind of catalog with lots of surplus stuff, as I recall.

Want to point out here that this is not a standard Uberti Walker. It has "custom" stampings and the barrel is in the white (as they were originally). Worth $850? That's up to you.

Sure, that’s a Walker but
In Larry McMurtry’s book Lonesome Dove McCray carries a Dragoon. It was Deets that carried a Walker, with a broken hammer spur. It was noted that Deets was the only man in the Hat Creek outfit “stout” enough to pack one all day. In the movie Call uses an 1860 but it’s not specified in the book.

Last edited:
I bought several C&R items from CTD a couple of decades back when I went off the rails into the suppository school for a while. Fair prices, good service at the time. No complaints, but have not been a customer for a long time.

Have never read the book. In the movie can't recall either what Deets was carrying. Pea Eye and Newt both carried Colt 1860 size frame conversions. Can't recall anyone with a percussion revolver but there could possibly have been, has been awhile since I've watched any of the Call and Gus movies. Don't recall any 1873 SA Colt Peacemakers in LD movie either as Lonesome was set sometime after Custer's battle at LBH which occurred after Colt came out with the 1873. Of course, the 1873 45 Colt took awhile for everyone in the west to be packing one. I used to get Brigade Quartermaster's catalog, ordered quite a few things from them. BQ website's offerings are small compared to what they used to be, same goes for US Calvery, a similar outfit like BQ. As previously penned, Cheaper Than Dirt is an expensive and less desirable place to buy from anymore. Wish more movies such as the Gus and Call adventures, Quigly Down Under, Last of Mohicans, Open Range, etc would come out instead of some of the junk/manure Hollywierd puts out now.

Latest posts

Back