• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Is the 36 caliber becomming extinct?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like someone else posted, check out the Kibler kits....great quality!
Just finishing up a Kibler SMR in .36 what a nice kit. GM makes both .32 & .36 Barrels as does Rice. l think Colerain does too. It like the old days of you want a rifle you have to build it or have it built for you.

Prices have gone up a lot in the last 30 or 40 years. back then the Dollar was worth and Italy and Spain really liked our dollar. The government spending had de valued it to the point they want the Euro. And hold your breath it is only going to get worse with all the new programs biden and kamala have in mind. Problem with the programs they are not headed to the people on this forum. i assume those here have worked for what the have, and most have white privilege. yes the people who go to work every day and built this country are now the enemy
As the minutemen said To Arms and Prepair to Defend.

if you think that 36 CAL, are getting hard to come by? just try and find a 32cal, SQURRIELL RIFLE? it is hard to beleave that back in the day a fellow with a 36 or 32 killed both UPLAND GAME & ALSO DEER!? my word now we have one for upland game. shotgun and a boomer for deer! how / why has it changed?
In the modern, cartridge firearm world there is an ongoing quest for hotter and hotter cartridges. Every introduction of a "new" caliber brings a front page article in every gun magazine. It was like that when I was a kid and, now that I'm 73, it is still like that.
I so hope the front loading community doesn't go that way. Squirrel is just as dead with a .32 as with a .54 . And likely less meat wasted.

In the modern, cartridge firearm world there is an ongoing quest for hotter and hotter cartridges. Every introduction of a "new" caliber brings a front page article in every gun magazine. It was like that when I was a kid and, now that I'm 73, it is still like that.
I so hope the front loading community doesn't go that way. Squirrel is just as dead with a .32 as with a .54 . And likely less meat wasted.
If someone were to offer an affordable .32/.36 caliber rifle they would become more popular. For the most part, we have priced newcomers out of the traditional market.

ROGER THAT!!

I don't think that an animal asks it self was that bullet that just killed me, A 54 CAL. OR A 36 CAL?? DEAD IS DEAD & FOREVER. the old timers did it back then and I believe that a well placed shot can do it today?

I'm fortunate to have both a .32 and a .36 but they are flintlocks. For many years I shot targets and hunted squirrels with a .32 Traditions Crockett, a wonderful little rifle. I doubt either will fade away even if popularity waxes & wanes. Over the years these two little calibers have taken squirrel and raccoon and there was little to separate their effectiveness. The .36 does have a real edge when larger varmints, say coyote size, are added to the hunting mix. But the .32 stoked with 45 grains of 3F is a much different animal than the "squirrel popping" 15 grn and 20 grn loads. Head and mid-body hits with either never showed me much more damage than what a .22LR HP delivers. A .36 kit from Pedersoli or others is not a bad idea.

I would be thrilled with a flintlock too. I'm subject to caliber restrictions by state law and my smallest BP rifle is a .50.

Is the fouling control any worse in a .32 or .36 than say .45 and above?

I haven’t found it to be but I’ve heard it is for some. IME, if you use a lube that will keep fouling soft and prevent crud rings there is not difference at all. I shoot small calibers 20-30 times without cleaning the bore specifically (tight loads and soft crud is self cleaning) without issue. I rarely do that with large calibers.

That makes sense as less powder is going to mean less fouling all things equal. I have two .36 cal hand guns but no rifles that small. I do think they are more wind sensitive for out door target work though.

Selling my Blue Ridge .36 Flintlock is just another one of those things I periodically kick myself in the behind for. It wasn't fancy, but I got it new from Cabela's at a LOW price and it was one of those rifles that just felt so perfectly right when I held it in my hands, and it shot beautifully. Practical? Hell, what's practical got to do with anything that puts a smile on your face?

What exactly has to take place for 36 caliber rifles to become obsolete? Oh, (extinct) It's a trick question..........ain't it? 😒

If someone were to offer an affordable .32/.36 caliber rifle they would become more popular. For the most part, we have priced newcomers out of the traditional market.

A used Shenandoah can be obtained, there was one for sale for just $650 LNIB in the market today. Then Pedersoli makes a few for a couple hundred more, and after that Kibler’s kits are still pretty attainable for most.

The main market for muzzleloaders is the unmentionables, and they’re far easier to make than the traditionals hence why they’re cheaper. Wood and blue metal vs some cast alloy and plastic shot out of a moulde.

Add the affliction of wrong handedness and things get even more grim 😞. I was in the market for a .32 perc for my grandson, I have been looking for one for quite some time now. Was calling the local shops to see if there was any news and found a used .36 wrong handed rifle, I jumped on it before he could finish his sentence :ThankYou:.

A used Shenandoah can be obtained, there was one for sale for just $650 LNIB in the market today. Then Pedersoli makes a few for a couple hundred more, and after that Kibler’s kits are still pretty attainable for most.

The main market for muzzleloaders is the unmentionables, and they’re far easier to make than the traditionals hence why they’re cheaper. Wood and blue metal vs some cast alloy and plastic shot out of a moulde.
Traditions offers their .32 Crocket in a kit. Retail is 469$ should find one for less . Try the Log Cabin Shop in Lodi Ohio. They have a web site. Or maybe TOW or Dixie Arms.

No, the .32 and .36 do not foul any worse than .45s and up. Tight loads and good lube keep the fouling (any caliber) down to just one shots worth. I never swab the bores on mine while at the range.

Back