• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Another new guy from Kansas

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Grunt

40 Cal
Reaction score
I just ran across this forum a few days ago,after reading several posts for 2 or 3 days I decided to join,looks like a great polite forum with a lot of knowledge that I plan to try and soak up into my hard head.

I've always been fascinated with the Mountain men of yesteryear,and of course Daniel Boone so naturally I was interested in the muzzle loaders,my first one was a small caplock pistol in,I think I was 13 when I bought it complete with a tin and a half of caps,3/4 can of black powder and a bunch of .375 revolver balls,I had no clue what I was doing but I never blew the gun up and I did start learning,next was a TC .50 Hawken kit when I was 14 or 15 in early mid 70's

Now I have 4 different rifles 2 caplock and 2 flintlock and 2 barrels for TC Hawkin,and somewhere in the neighborhood of 15 cap and ball revolvers.

I ordered a kit awhile back from Dixie Gun Works,a little .45 caplock rifle,I want to put it together for my wife for our anniversary I really wanted to get her the DGW Cub in .40 caliber I didnt know they dont sell the .40 cal anymore and thats the caliber I'd want the .32 and .36 are just to small IMHO for Deer,the .40 is on verge of being to small but with good shot placement and being picky about your shots it works,I've shot more Deer with my old flintlock Cub in .40 then rest of my guns put together and I never took a shot at a Deer with it that I did not get I cant say that about any other gun I've Deer hunted with,I also ordered the Kibler SMR in .45 for myself ;)

Welcome Kansas Im in Oklahoma. I hope you will enjoy this great forum. I hope you bring questions and advice. This forum got me hooked on ML's

I'm actually pretty surprised how many folks here are from Kansas,I really dont know anyone from around here that is into muzzle loaders, there was a few of dads friends in the 70's that bought TC Hawken's and tried deer hunting with them,but after year or two they got put away and I'd bet most of them have been sitting in the closet ever since.
When Kansas started the Muzzle Loader only season I loved it,for several years I never seen anouther person hunting during the early muzzle loaders only season,then those dang inlines showed up and plain ruined the early muzzle loader season,now the muzzle loader season laws are more set up for inlines,way I read rules a patched ball isnt legal now regulations say hard cast bullet at minimum diameter .400, that puts my old .40 cal flintlock out no way I'm pounding a .40 ball and patch in it and I have no desire to shoot bullets in her.

Back