• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dixie Gun Works Tennessee Flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LonePine

32 Cal
Reaction score
A hunting partner of one of my friend's fathers just hit 82 the other day and he is looking to sell some of his firearms that he cant handle anymore. The only flintlock he has left is a Dixie Gun Works Tennessee Mountain Rifle. It is .50 caliber, Flintlock and in good condition with no rust anywhere or dings/cracks in the wood. In May I had bought an old Ozark Mountain Arms Hawken kit someone had put together poorly years ago. The rifle is flintlock and .50 caliber I got it at a Pawn shop for $125. That being said the old gent liked how light weight it was and said he would go over the rifle and fix the inletting and clean it up and restain to teach his grandson. In return he would trade me his DGW rifle and I would pay him another $150 cash. So I would be in about $275~$300 for the rifle. Is this DGW rifle worth the trade or is it another 1970/1980s commerical flop rifle ? Thanks to everyone in advance.

A hunting partner of one of my friend's fathers just hit 82 the other day and he is looking to sell some of his firearms that he cant handle anymore. The only flintlock he has left is a Dixie Gun Works Tennessee Mountain Rifle. It is .50 caliber, Flintlock and in good condition with no rust anywhere or dings/cracks in the wood. In May I had bought an old Ozark Mountain Arms Hawken kit someone had put together poorly years ago. The rifle is flintlock and .50 caliber I got it at a Pawn shop for $125. That being said the old gent liked how light weight it was and said he would go over the rifle and fix the inletting and clean it up and restain to teach his grandson. In return he would trade me his DGW rifle and I would pay him another $150 cash. So I would be in about $275~$300 for the rifle. Is this DGW rifle worth the trade or is it another 1970/1980s commerical flop rifle ? Thanks to everyone in advance.
Yea that seems like a good deal to me. Neither rifle has a lot of aftermarket parts support but the DGW rifle is a good beginner rifle. I dont know about your hawken but the DGW will give you that longrifle feel and look that reminds you of the late 18th century early 19th century. Also they typicslly sell for $300 on auction websites so Id say yes to it. If the flintlock doesnt spark great you'll need that addressed. Cabin Creek Muzzleloading tunes them all the time for a small fee.

Yes, that’s a pretty good deal. Those rifles are getting hard to find and to have one would be a pleasure. If you can do it and everyone walks away happy, I’d say go for it.

Pro tip for DGW: Not everything they have is listed in their catalog or online. They may well have parts for that rifle if you need them, as there is literally TONS of old stock stuff in their store and warehouse. They also have several employees who have been there for decades and know their products well. A phone could probably turn up anything you need.

You simply cannot locate a flintlock anywhere for $300 these day's. I was fortunate to find a Lyman Trade rifle on an auction recently for $335, but by the time I paid taxes and shipping the final cost was $419 and I consider that a good deal because the rifle only had a few dings in the stock that I can repair easy. I'd pay the man $300 for it if it is in as good a shape as you described.

I bought an older Turner Kirkland here on site # 023 which puts it about 1956. After a bit of work I have it up and running. It needed a new frizzen roller couldn't find one anywhere I had to make it by hand. Wouldn't spark well so I also harden the frizzen. Now it's a very good shooter and well worth the 4 bills I paid for it.

I have an Ozark Mountain Arms Hawken, if you think yours is worth $300 I will send that to you today. I would bet to say it is a lot rarer than the DGW . All the parts on the OMA rifle were quality American made. If someone butchered the fit and finish the parts alone would bring $300. If you like the style of the DGW mountain rifle over the OMA Hawken, I would buy the DGW straight up and sell the OMA on this site. You will probably be putting money in your pocket instead of taking money out. Just my 2 cents.
Pictures of both would be helpful.

The Dixie GunWorks Tennessee Mountain Rifle, in .50 calibre & good condition, usually sells consistently for $700.00 to $800.00. The cheapest I’ve seen was $589.00, back in April 2022, but that gun was not what I would call “Good Condition”

I had one and it was shot many hundreds of times between me and my friends. It was a bit heavy but I loved it.

"Ozark Mountain Arms was American made in the 70's by a small company in Missouri run by Jean Reynaud, had a Green Mountain barrel, Ron Long lock and double set triggers by L&R Lock Company." This is their Hawken copy. I'M sure their Poor Boy had equal quality parts. Nothing from Japan, Spain, or Italy.

My DGW .50 is a great gun, very accurate. The only downside is, parts are virtually impossible to find. And the L&R RPL "drop in" replacement lock is not a simple drop in. Mine required being sent back for some gunsmithing, but works fine now. And yeah, these are $600+ guns, usually closer to $800

A really nice DGW TMR .50 flint with the extra Percussion Lock and drum sold here just last week at a local auction for $1200 plus commission. Bidding went on for like 20 minutes and i quit at $800. It was an early one (2xx) which may have been reason along with no state tax.

I bought one in 50 cal flintlock a few months ago at a local gun shop for $525 and it is in great condition

Many years ago I traded a DGW southern mountain rifle in .50 cal for a saddle for the mustang I was training. It took a couple of years for me to realize that I should not have traded that gun. Go for it ! It is a great beginners longrifle.

Have a Dixie SMR .50 flint made by Miroku as a "project". Lock was rusted solid and barrel outside pitted. Still, the barrel shoots ok and the lock (after I resurrected it) throws a shower of sparks. Called DGW, spoke to their gunsmith who told me they no longer stock screws not much else for the rifles. Stripped old finish from stock, cleaned up outside of the barrel, and it's a fun gun even if decidedly "rough". Screws are metric.

They were also sold as kits at one time.

34DE3FA8-A675-4B26-97A0-75CC3574C0E7.jpeg

These are my 2 Dixie GunWorks Tennessee Mountain Rifles. They have been rebarreled.

The upper gun has been rebarreled from .32 calibre to .45 calibre, 36” Corlerain barrel.

The lower gun has been rebarreled from .50 calibre to .54 calibre, 36” Corlerain barrel

Back