• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Is it not cricket to have a Craftsman toolbox as a shooter's

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a general answer and not to any one person.

I loved competing on the Primitive Range at Friendship in the 70's because once you stepped over a line, you were only allowed to use the shooting gear and other accessories you had with you on your person. That meant your gear had to be authentic and it was about as close as what we can get to what they did back in the period. Forgot your flint and steel or tow? Sorry, you forfeited the points for that part of the competition. Forgot your balls or patching or had the WRONG size balls or patching? Sorry, you forfeited those points or shot with a bare ball, etc. Pull something out of your gear that was not authentic? Sorry, it was confiscated until given back to you AFTER the match. Broke your ramrod? Sorry, you forfeited the rest of the shots in that match unless you could cut and whittle a branch from the trees in the area of the match. You did not get to go back over the line and get the correct shooting accessories, or something you forgot, even if your wood range box WAS period correct. A Mountain Man, or Longhunter or Frontiersman back in the day was also "stuck" if something happened and he could not fix it on the spot. They had some things in the packs on their horses, but they almost never would have had a wood box to go to. Can't remember anyone having an authentic pack animal with authentic packs and gear trying to cross the line for one of those matches.....

That rule might seem too harsh for some, but that was the way we did things on the Primitive Range back then because it was the closest to what the original people did. BTW, when I ran the Northwest Trade Gun Match and before a shooter stepped over the line, I reminded him to check to see if he had everything with him/her before he/she stepped over the line before the match. Not everyone running the matches did that, but some and maybe most of us did. If you got used to having everything you needed with/on you, it also made things better for modern hunting.

I honestly can't remember anyone criticizing another person for having a plastic range box or other modern container at regular Black Powder shoots, outside of the Primitive Range or special Primitive Matches, and that includes competition all the way up to the three World Championships I attended.

Now if someone wishes to criticize me for having plastic range boxes at a regular black powder match (outside primitive events) instead of a wood box, then they better be prepared to have their gear inspected for authenticity as well. MANY wood boxes I have seen are nice boxes, BUT have the wrong construction details or hinges or locks, etc. that can not have been made prior to the WBTS or in the time period they are portraying. I would be all too happy to point out every non authentic thing about the box and every item the person has, who did something like that.

IOW, for the good of the sport and general comradery that attracts and keeps people in the hobby, if one wishes to have a wood shooting box, that's all well and good, but please don't criticize others for not having one.

Gus

Awww... I want to adopt Ron's cat!

Great ideas for those boxes, eh folks!?

I really feel strongly about wooden shooting boxes...

...and one of these days, dag nab it, I swear I'm gonna get one!

Who, me? Today!? Wood shooting boxes are sweet but I'm not leading by example. Not a poster child. I'm a rebel. Irreverent. Not cricket. My nose is out of joint, I stick it in the air, and thumb it at respectable convention.

:rotf:

How does one fabricate by clicking quote?

Im sure I have NO IDEA what your talking about? I was simply stating I believe that had a walmart plastic bag been available "in the day" that many would have stuffed some stuff in it and went out for a shoot?

No F___ing walmart bags. ??? Who did post that? :idunno: :youcrazy:

And as for my post being within your post? I have no clue how that happened? I am internet illeterate (almost) and have never seen that happen to one of my posts where I clicked quote. All other times my post was UNDER the quoted post. So have drink (on me, I will wire the cash) and chill. :grin:

Maybe it was intentional and maybe it was an accident...doesn't matter it should have been and still should be deleted...
This kind of thing has happened before...it is very suspicious..
One can't help but wonder if maybe there is moderator or administrator involvement. considering that after 9 hours it still remains....... :hmm:

Dewey3 said:
colorado clyde said:
It's evolution....You start out a newbie with your brand new T/C Hawken and your hardware store tool or tackle box.
And eventually you end up all decked out in 18th or 19th century garb, a wooden box and a custom rifle..... :wink: it is the way of things..... :grin:

Then, when you are REALLY good you ditch the box, because everything you really need is either in your hunting or possibles bag !!!
Never found the need for a range box myself. I just use my shooting bag. Then again my bag is bigger than what a lot of folks consider HC/PC but it carries everything I need to load, clean or shoot my trade gun.

I do not care what other folks think on what I do and take to the range and do not care what they do or have.

I do not spend my money to be miserable.

Enough information???????????

larryp said:
Dewey3 said:
colorado clyde said:
It's evolution....You start out a newbie with your brand new T/C Hawken and your hardware store tool or tackle box.
And eventually you end up all decked out in 18th or 19th century garb, a wooden box and a custom rifle..... :wink: it is the way of things..... :grin:

Then, when you are REALLY good you ditch the box, because everything you really need is either in your hunting or possibles bag !!!
Never found the need for a range box myself. I just use my shooting bag. Then again my bag is bigger than what a lot of folks consider HC/PC but it carries everything I need to load, clean or shoot my trade gun.

That's why I have both a possibles and a hunting/shooting bag.

What I need to shoot with or make simple in the field rifle repairs ...

(screwdriver, flint wallet, adjustable powder measure, tin of lube, pillow ticking, tow, tow worm, balls, ball puller, short starter, vent pick, a compass, etc.)

... is in or on the hunting bag.

But things like the round ball mold, lead ladle, extra lead, etc. are in the possibles bag. If in camp, I can leave the possibles bag in the shelter and go shooting or hunting with just the shooting bag (and powder horn, of course).

Dewey3 said:
Ok.

I asked this before ... is a wooden "shooting box" is HC ???
Can you show me an 1830's era one used in the Rockies by fur trappers ???

Except for at the modern range, everything I have and the way I do it IS period, as much as I can determine - it IS an ongoing process, of course. I resent you saying I don't try to be period because you think I must get some gear that I don't want or need. Did you really READ what I said about how I do things?

When I got into this hobby 30+ years ago, everyone thought that if their gear looked old-timey is was good enough. Some still think that way.

But others strive to match their gear and clothing to documented examples.

So ... prove to me that trappers in the 1830s used "shooting boxes" or get off your holier-than-thou high horse.

The simple answer to your question is that the wooden shooting box is not correct to any period other than what was started on the NMLRA ranges from the 1930s. Now I am sure that the Corps of Discovery had storage boxes for the parts needed to keep the firearms functioning, but the individuals in the Corps shot from their shooting bags.

colorado clyde said:
Maybe it was intentional and maybe it was an accident...doesn't matter it should have been and still should be deleted...
This kind of thing has happened before...it is very suspicious..
One can't help but wonder if maybe there is moderator or administrator involvement. considering that after 9 hours it still remains....... :hmm:
Maybe no one else had a problem with it? Why would one add to your quoted post? I own walmart plastic shooting bags post items. And how did it happen? Maybe a glitch? I doubt moderators have any trouble seeing this as :bull:

I have no idea how to change it to drop my reply from your quote or I would have done it. Chill clyde. It will be ok. And no im not an instigator (this time) :surrender:

I use a wooden box because I could make it myself a lot cheaper than a store bought sustitute.I don't care what others carry.Problem is its heavy so I may step up to a Walmart bag,thanks for the idea.As for checking jeans brands,the only time I do that is when they are occupied by an attractive female of the species.Yeah I am a certified dirty old man so what,I am completely harmless.By the way this thread ought to get an award for insanity.

Richard Eames said:
I do not care what other folks think on what I do and take to the range and do not care what they do or have.

Actually I was asking why you posted such a nonsensical comment to begin with:

Richard Eames said:
As you consider in how to fit in with your range box you might wander the line to see what blue jeans the folks are wearing: Levis, Carhart, Wrangler or Lee, sure do not want to be out of fashion on the line, T-shirt or pocket-shirt

Did it somehow make you feel good about yourself? Did it fill a need for attention? Was it an attempt at entertainment? I asked an honest question and I received some honest answers -- and I am thankful for them. There were also comments like yours that were at best, a waste of bandwidth.

CalGunner said:
Richard Eames said:

Actually I was asking why you posted such a nonsensical comment to begin with:

Richard Eames said:
As you consider in how to fit in with your range box you might wander the line to see what blue jeans the folks are wearing: Levis, Carhart, Wrangler or Lee, sure do not want to be out of fashion on the line, T-shirt or pocket-shirt

Did it somehow make you feel good about yourself? Did it fill a need for attention? Was it an attempt at entertainment? I asked an honest question and I received some honest answers -- and I am thankful for them. There were also comments like yours that were at best, a waste of bandwidth.
There were also comments like yours that were at best, a waste of bandwidth.

It takes two to tango..

Dewey3 said:
colorado clyde said:
:applause: :applause: :applause:

Seriously ???

"Nobody, NOBODY, here has the right to cry holier-than-thou ..."
... unless they have a wooden shooting box and you don't, I suppose?

Tell me, Arden, what is the use of a wooden shooting box on a public or private club range where almost everyone but you are shooting modern weapons ??? IMHO, a wooden shooting box is either too heavy or too small for the rangefinder, spotting scope, scope stand, and all the other stuff I take to my private club range. My shooting bag is both lightweight and big enough and works far better in that kind of environment.

Now lets go on a trek ... no carried wooden box wanted there! - every essential thing I need is in my shooting or possibles bag.
Am I somehow not HC ??

How about rendezvous? Again, the shooting box is too small ... I store extra powder and other large stuff in a large wooden box (NOT a "shooting box", it's more the size of a chest.). Again, most of the shooting supplies I need/use are in the two bags.
Is this not HC ???

BP club shoot? When I had that privilege (that many do not, which now includes me), the shooting bag served my needs, with backup supplies in my truck. The other BP club members did the same - no one used wooden shooting boxes.

So ... why again do I need the box ???
Just for show ????
I 'm not HC/PC without it ?????

Seriously ??????

AMEN!!!!

I am curious which part(s) of that nonsensical statement you are praising? :bow:

Could it be that he states a bag holds everything he needs but a wooden shooting box is to small? :youcrazy:

Something else?

Or is it like being a fan at a football game, and you're just caught up in all the excitement. :hmm:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back