• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Is it not cricket to have a Craftsman toolbox as a shooter's

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Certainly, when in Rome, do as the Romans do.

However.

I cannot see how the mere ownership of a "thing" can give one pride, prestige, admiration or social standing. These higher accolades come from "doing", not from "owning". A thing, in the final analysis, is still just a "thing".

hanshi said:
Certainly, when in Rome, do as the Romans do.

However.

I cannot see how the mere ownership of a "thing" can give one pride, prestige, admiration or social standing. These higher accolades come from "doing", not from "owning". A thing, in the final analysis, is still just a "thing".

Thorstein Veblen ?

Quotes by Thorstein Veblen:

"The basis on which good repute in any highly organized industrial community ultimately rests is pecuniary strength; and the means of showing pecuniary strength, and so of gaining or retaining a good name, are leisure and a conspicuous consumption of goods." :shocked2:

So much for skill ... it's just the amount of plunder ya got that counts ... ya know, wooden shooting boxes full of stuff you will never need and the like. :doh:

Two I like better:

"Invention is the mother of necessity." - if you make it, they will need it! This could be Apple's motto, but could apply to our hobby, too. :shake:

and

"No one travelling on a business trip would be missed if he failed to arrive."

And for SOME people I know, that might apply to traveling to Rendezvous, too !!! :rotf:

Alden said:
What's this crazy talk about letting your targets speak for themselves and whatever you want to transport stuff with "it's all good." It ain't!

Almost every decision you make is influenced by the outside and with the outside world in mind from whether or not you got enough sleep to function with other people that day to whether or not you need to shave and/or shower, how you dress to what and how you drive, etc., etc., etc.

A wooden shooting box shows you care. It demonstrates so many things. About yourself, to your fellow shooters, and represents the hobby to the world. It is a sign of respect and an homage. It is the least you can do if you are not a novice. Less than than is just a slap in the face to everyone and everything. And, one'll probably make you shoot better too. Bottom line?

Don't be a hater and disrespect yourself, other shooters, or the safe blackpowder shooting sports. Do it right, with a wooden box, or don't do it at all.

A metal toolbox? A plastic tackle box!? A tool, no less a plastic, bag indeed -- that's JIMINY Cricket!

Well I shoot alone 99.9% 0f the time. And I dress funny too (BRIGHT red shorts a simpsons T-shirt, knee length socks and ankle high or higher hiking boots). I would dress down further if I won the lottery too BTW. I have never been out to impress anyone other than GOD and ME.

If I thought a wooden box would change ANYTHING I cared about by Gawd I'd be building my own right now! And it id be grand too. :haha:

"Well I shoot alone 99.9% 0f the time. And I dress funny too (BRIGHT red shorts a simpsons T-shirt, knee length socks and ankle high or higher hiking boots). I would dress down further if I won the lottery too BTW. I have never been out to impress anyone other than God and ME."

My wife has been known to dislike my clothing selection when it comes to color's, I am very color blind and do not care of what I chose in the morning.

I have shot in what was one of the largest M/L Clubs in Texas which is now gone..

You were not judged on what you carried to the line with what you needed to compete, scores mattered.

Have shot at Brady in the TMLRA State Shoot, folks do not worry about your box, plaques are handed out to the winners, scores matter, not to wood workers.

Have been to Phoenix to shoot, folks do not give durn about your box, 10s count and X's get you a medal.

Went to Friendship, you are not judged by your box, only what is posted on the wall at the end of the shoot.

Think.

I went to Staples and bought a Mans Leather semi-soft case. The dividers have a rigid sleeve between the compartments.
There is an outside sleeve I carry Targets in,
and a the other side has a rigid compartment
about 12"X14". I put my ball starter, capers
Pen and Markers, patch knife and priming Flask
(antler and Brass) it is beautiful, EXPENSIVE,
Hand Made, Unique as Me, and I HAD TO HAVE IT!!!! large middle pouch go the powdwer flasks FFg FFFg, 2 CVA brass ones, My main powdwer Hand made
HORN.. ANOTHER EXPENSIVE BUT WILL LAST A LIFETIME.
The Missus (Lets call her Sarge) started in, but I
had been holding an ACE up my sleeve, I asked her
HOW MUCH were those 2 pair of shoes you bought last week?...hmmmm? Then....Silence, go get the damn things.
I haven't bought anything after that. letting it cool down.
The whole bag zips up, has a shoulder strap..
Never had anything negative commented about the bag that is! Use it but watch for static discharge.
May your powder be dry, and the wind to your face.

An entire forum full of traditional muzzleloading shooters who drool over beautiful handcrafted guns and buy the most expensive, highest quality, ones they can afford and/or justify are arguing appearances don't matter and anything goes?

You guys are so full of it.

ONLY appearances matter when it comes to your kit. Yes, yes, that the bits and pieces are satisfactory to begin with is a given, but then it is all period-correctness and having the right toy in the right place at the right time.

Nobody, NOBODY, here has the right to cry holier-than-thou, above it all, simple utilitarianism otherwise you'd be on an in-line forum and debating which color ballistic nylon is the best.

A wooden toolbox shows you've arrived. A plastic shopping bag full of hard-to-find stuff? You shouldn't even be allowed on the range! A metal toolbox from Sears or a plastic fishing tackle box from Bass Pro and you might as well be wearing a wrinkled old tee-shirt that says "kiss my grits."

colorado clyde said:
:applause: :applause: :applause:

Seriously ???

"Nobody, NOBODY, here has the right to cry holier-than-thou ..."
... unless they have a wooden shooting box and you don't, I suppose?

Tell me, Arden, what is the use of a wooden shooting box on a public or private club range where almost everyone but you are shooting modern weapons ??? IMHO, a wooden shooting box is either too heavy or too small for the rangefinder, spotting scope, scope stand, and all the other stuff I take to my private club range. My shooting bag is both lightweight and big enough and works far better in that kind of environment.

Now lets go on a trek ... no carried wooden box wanted there! - every essential thing I need is in my shooting or possibles bag.
Am I somehow not HC ??

How about rendezvous? Again, the shooting box is too small ... I store extra powder and other large stuff in a large wooden box (NOT a "shooting box", it's more the size of a chest.). Again, most of the shooting supplies I need/use are in the two bags.
Is this not HC ???

BP club shoot? When I had that privilege (that many do not, which now includes me), the shooting bag served my needs, with backup supplies in my truck. The other BP club members did the same - no one used wooden shooting boxes.

So ... why again do I need the box ???
Just for show ????
I 'm not HC/PC without it ?????

Seriously ??????

PS

My wooden chest also serves to sit on, it's that big and sturdy!

Noted the name typo ... sorry Alden!

Also to avoid confusion, I use the large modern Bostitch bag at the modern range, but my Leatherman hunting/possible bags everywhere.

Dewey3 said:
colorado clyde said:
:applause: :applause: :applause:

Seriously ???

Just for show ????
I 'm not HC/PC without it ?????
Seriously ????

Yep!

You don't.....just like you don't "need" a muzzleloader or a fishing boat.....and neither do I...But I want one.

As I read though all the responses to this topic I am starting to understand why the sport of muzzleloading has been waning over the years.....
Nobody seems to give a ship anymore. :shake:

Back when I started people wanted to have a wooden box...they embraced all that was traditional. Owning and shooting a muzzleloader meant a whole lot more than a simple way to get in on an extra deer hunting season. Every time we pulled the trigger we were stepping back in time....
So....yep! Seriously. :v

Ok.

I asked this before ... is a wooden "shooting box" is HC ???
Can you show me an 1830's era one used in the Rockies by fur trappers ???

Except for at the modern range, everything I have and the way I do it IS period, as much as I can determine - it IS an ongoing process, of course. I resent you saying I don't try to be period because you think I must get some gear that I don't want or need. Did you really READ what I said about how I do things?

When I got into this hobby 30+ years ago, everyone thought that if their gear looked old-timey is was good enough. Some still think that way.

But others strive to match their gear and clothing to documented examples.

So ... prove to me that trappers in the 1830s used "shooting boxes" or get off your holier-than-thou high horse.

Dutch Schoultz said:
The advantage of a "Shooting Box" is that it reduces the worry of showing up at the range and realizing you left your short starter-nipple wrench or whatever back home some 20 to 30 miles away.
Some years ago (possibly 30) Muzzle Blasts had an ad for a wooden shooting box kit which was easily assembled and which was designed so that gusts of wind wouldn't blow small items like wiping patches, away.

A shooting box doesn't have to be wood. I have seen some very good ones that began life as fishing tackle boxes.

One fellow at the range had a dandy metal box which he had repainted from red to a very good camouflage but which he kept tripping over.
I suggested he repaint it red

Dutch

Lots of truth to that. On the morning I head for a shoot I look to pack: 2 long guns, range bag 1 (which includes my sidearms, ear/eye protection, etc.), range bag 2 (spotting scope, tripod, cross-sticks, camera, first aid, large towel), range bag 3 (coat, hat, gloves, lunch, drinks) and my range box (the subject of this discussion)

I pack those 6 things in the morning and I'm off, not worrying about whether I forgot anything.

Richard Eames said:
As you consider in how to fit in with your range box you might wander the line to see what blue jeans the folks are wearing: Levis, Carhart, Wrangler or Lee, sure do not want to be out of fashion on the line, T-shirt or pocket-shirt

What was the reason for your posting? Did it make you feel better about yourself or something along those lines?

RonRC said:
I don't care what type of box a person brings to the muzzleloader range.
However, I like wood. So I put away the fishing tackle box and bought a sewing box from Joanns sewing store for about $10.
Please forgive the redundancy in that I've posted pictures of my shooting supply boxes here before, but I will do it again in case it gives anyone constructive ideas.
The box just after some modification and reinforcement:
77st5X.jpg

After all reinforcement, bracket replacement and staining:
qe9fri.jpg

y6QhHE.jpg

I picked up another box in the gun section of Walmart. It had a very hokey woods scene on it that was easily removed with sandpaper:
proMZP.jpg

k6Y12g.jpg

BqmUgM.jpg

With Philips head screws, the boxes are not HC/PC, but that doesn't bother me. They will be replaced by more representative screws when I have time.
Meantime, these boxes work for me.
Ron

Nice looking gear. I wonder if Wally's still has those boxes for sale? I even like the artwork...

Alden said:
An entire forum full of traditional muzzleloading shooters who drool over beautiful handcrafted guns and buy the most expensive, highest quality, ones they can afford and/or justify are arguing appearances don't matter and anything goes?

You guys are so full of it.

ONLY appearances matter when it comes to your kit. Yes, yes, that the bits and pieces are satisfactory to begin with is a given, but then it is all period-correctness and having the right toy in the right place at the right time.

Nobody, NOBODY, here has the right to cry holier-than-thou, above it all, simple utilitarianism otherwise you'd be on an in-line forum and debating which color ballistic nylon is the best.

A wooden toolbox shows you've arrived. A plastic shopping bag full of hard-to-find stuff? You shouldn't even be allowed on the range! A metal toolbox from Sears or a plastic fishing tackle box from Bass Pro and you might as well be wearing a wrinkled old tee-shirt that says "kiss my grits."

Honest to God I have never shot at any range anywhere EVER and hope I never have to! The national forest is my range and I take my bag with me everytime I leave!

Dont let Mr Alden get ya guys! PC is a choice. A side lock is as far as I need to go to be a happy (wal-mart) camper!

But I have had a strong urge to get a Tepee :idunno: Like a fire ya know...........

Well, that's confusing. Which of you said what ???

Either way, supply boxes were not "shooting boxes".

The people in my historical time and place did not have a "shooting box".

And neither do I.

Subject closed (as far as I am concerned).

Indeed... but is seems we have an instigator in our midst.. :td:
The last time one of my posts was modified
It was deleted before I got a screenshot to see who did it......not this time....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back