• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Is it not cricket to have a Craftsman toolbox as a shooter's

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Billnpatti said:
Naw, nothing to worry about. Use whatever works best for you. If anyone has a problem with that, just point out the bit of mistletoe attached to your shirt tail.

ROTFLMAO!!!! :rotf: That was Great! May I borrow that line? :rotf: :hatsoff:

Gus

Don't pay the least bit of attention to naysayers on the steel box.

When I go to the range with BP or modern guns, it LOOKS like I am moving in. I have a HUGE plastic fishing tackle box for the "small stuff," AND two of the large plastic Tote Boxes filled with everything else I need or may need, including targets, gun rests, spotting scope, spare parts, tools and a small portable vise. I actually bring this stuff to the area behind the shooting bench with a hand truck! Yes, I have gotten comments over the years, but funny how I get asked to borrow something someone else forgot almost every time I am at the range. Or I sometimes wind up fixing something for someone else at the range. I sometimes bring my "Main" Kennedy Tool Chest as well.

Bottom line, bring and use what works for you and forget about the comments.

Gus

Sure you can use a steel box.....I had a small tackle box when I started then upgraded to a big double sided tackle box.......and then a wooden box.
A wooden box separates the men from the boys in traditional terms........embrace the tradition..

Artificer said:
Don't pay the least bit of attention to naysayers on the steel box.

When I go to the range with BP or modern guns, it LOOKS like I am moving in. I have a HUGE plastic fishing tackle box for the "small stuff," AND two of the large plastic Tote Boxes filled with everything else I need or may need, including targets, gun rests, spotting scope, spare parts, tools and a small portable vise. I actually bring this stuff to the area behind the shooting bench with a hand truck! Yes, I have gotten comments over the years, but funny how I get asked to borrow something someone else forgot almost every time I am at the range. Or I sometimes wind up fixing something for someone else at the range. I sometimes bring my "Main" Kennedy Tool Chest as well.

Bottom line, bring and use what works for you and forget about the comments.

Gus
I think we should make a distinction between personal range time and a club shoot or event.....

Also, as a side note....the gear you use can psych out some of your opponents.....and gear can be a good way to size up the competition.....

The guy who shows up looking like he just came from the sporting goods store.....usually doesn't place well...

You do need wood, yes. It is a sign of respect to the other shooters, the sport you participate in, and yourself. If you are not a novice why be a hater? It is also OK to have a leather-covered shooting box. Red-necks have red Craftsman toolboxes on the shooting line, or a $5 opaque fishing tackle organizer made in China that may not even make it to the bench if you actually have anything in it. How could you live with yourself? It's insulting and self-degrading!

Image is important. Get that straight and get it out of the way so you can join the tribe man!

Oh, and even sophisticates here won't know what the heck you mean by "it's cricket," and using it over and over will only convince them you're a little off, wooden shooting box or not.

sophisticates here won't know what the heck you mean by "it's cricket," and using it over and over will only convince them you're a little off

I soss'd his meaning right off, no worries. :grin: And all of us are a little "off" :youcrazy: or we wouldn't be doing this as a hobby or method of hunting.

LD

Yes, sir, you may use that line as you wish and welcome to it. :hatsoff:

Yeah well, I do have a beautiful big wooden range box but I have a lot of "important stuff" in it and it weighs a ton so that beautiful wooden box stays in the shiny modern car that I drive while wearing my jeans, T shirt and ball cap. I carry a nice plastic tackle box with my essentials in it to the bench along with my modern military ammo can with my powder in it. I love my muzzleloaders but being H/C or P/C just isn't a thing with me. Funny thing is that as a Marine I have enough hair on my.....uh.....spheroids that I don't have to hang my head to anybody. They can either like it or kiss between my heels. A real man can carry whatever he likes to the bench.

I've had my say.

you mean, there are things other than a plastic fishing tackle box in which one might carry stuff to the range?

darn it ... I guess I missed the memo ...

colorado clyde said:
Sure you can use a steel box.....I had a small tackle box when I started then upgraded to a big double sided tackle box.......and then a wooden box.
A wooden box separates the men from the boys in traditional terms........embrace the tradition..

Men have wood boxes, boys have plastic boxes. So what does that make us rednecks with our walmart bags? :idunno:

We were talking about a shoot here right, not a rendezvous or reinactment right? Is some how a modern wooden box somehow more right for an non hc event then plastic or metal except in convinince. Get what works for you and matches your taste and pocket book. Don't take it to an event...but then you need to leave your wooden box at home also.

A few years ago I found a Craftsman plastic tool box at the Salvation Army Thrift Store. It appeared to be brand new but had to have been second hand when donated to the store. IIRC it was $4 and I snapped that bad boy right up.

It's evolution....You start out a newbie with your brand new T/C Hawken and your hardware store tool or tackle box.
And eventually you end up all decked out in 18th or 19th century garb, a wooden box and a custom rifle..... :wink: it is the way of things..... :grin:

tenngun said:
We were talking about a shoot here right, not a rendezvous or reinactment right?
That hasn't been made clear.
My "shooting box" is indeed a Plano plastic multi tray gizmo and I keep powder in GI ammo cans.
I carry that to our local rifle range.
But if I'm at a vous what I need goes in a small box and my pouch. The big box stays in my tent.
I sure as heck don't need a 20# box of gear at a rendezvous shooting range or woods walk.

Eventually your metal or plastic box fill up with manure and you have to get another to put more manure in....might as well be wood. :grin:

Who among you would turn up their noses at a nice wooden range box if given one.. :hmm: :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

Mountain Dewd said:
If it works, it works. :thumbsup:

You could always paint it to look like wood. I have heard of people building up a wooden exterior on their igloo coolers for primitive camping.

I was considering using some of that sticky wood grain shelf liner paper but that might be viewed as being antagonistic...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back