• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Is it just me or....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you considered making your own from flint or chert? With a little research, leg work and trial and error, I discovered that I have enough here on the farm to last me forever. Learning to knap the flints was fun and didn't take long to learn what to look for.

TOW, Log Cabin shop, October Country, DGW, and several others I've googled are all out of stock. I've found the sawn agate flints and ordered 4 those to tide me over.

Have you considered making your own from flint or chert? With a little research, leg work and trial and error, I discovered that I have enough here on the farm to last me forever. Learning to knap the flints was fun and didn't take long to learn what to look for.

I'm not opposed to learning. I've always tried to learn something new everyday. Where would I start?

I found several YouTube videos on where to look, what to look for and how to turn a chunk of rock into a useful flint. I've done it so many times now it's a fairly simple process for me. So look at YouTube and Google first.

Secondly, take a walk through the woods or along a creek. Since you already know what a good flint looks like, you'd be surprised how easy they are to find. A rock hammer or claw hammer (safety glass too) comes in handy for breaking up large rocks into smaller pieces. I have found that black flint, red agate and chert work very well. Look for rocks with a shiny smooth appearance, not rough or grainy. A video will explain this part better than I can.

With a little practice, knapping a flint is easy to learn. Before covid there was a group who offered flint knapping classes at a state park near where I live. You may find one in your area as well.

Hope this helps.

I was quite surprised that TOTW is out of stock with most English and French flints....First time I’ve experienced this in 20+ years of doing business with them!

Also, I've found that my good flints work just as good and sometimes better than store bought.

Here are 4 different ones I made. All passed the lock test. If they won’t spark in the lock, I toss ‘em. The light colored ugly one works surprisingly well. I don’t know what it is but it works.

Attachments

• BAF7F3D2-5826-4E5F-920A-17C1F6768BA4.jpeg
    BAF7F3D2-5826-4E5F-920A-17C1F6768BA4.jpeg
    72.7 KB · Views: 56
  • B98BD992-1F5A-45DE-95A2-40F20A6AF29F.jpeg
    B98BD992-1F5A-45DE-95A2-40F20A6AF29F.jpeg
    82.3 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back