• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Is Getz Barrel Co. Still In Business?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was going to post this earlier, but held off and gave post a haircut…..

Maybe if John was asked real nice he might….. And not to beat on the guy while he is down, but John never appeared to have inherited the customer service gene that his father had, though he may have been a good barrel maker.
That’s a good suggestion. Maybe a “while you wait” service call. I’ll ask him

He’s a great guy. But anyone asking him if he will make them a barrel is on a fool’s errand. Not sure why this is not clear. Or why anyone would want a John Getz barrel over a Rice, or Colerain, Charles Burton, Ed Rayl, or so on.

He’s a great guy. But anyone asking him if he will make them a barrel is on a fool’s errand. Not sure why this is not clear. Or why anyone would want a John Getz barrel over a Rice, or Colerain, Charles Burton, Ed Rayl, or so on.
Jiminy crickets. People! If you think you are picking low hanging fruit in the thread and trying to spike the ball, think again. Read the prior comments before opening mouth and inserting foot.
I stated my interest when I reopened this thread days ago. I have an —>existing <—-
Getz barrel that can use some additional swamping. Probably shave six ounces off, maybe more. Hoyt says he is not taking any new work until May. Colerain is backed up. I was simply curious about John’s ability to do this particular work on this particular finished barrel with his name on it. That is all. The few useful comments here have jibed with my notion to simply stop in with barrel in hand and ask if he can and will try to remove a bit more weight while I wait. Thank you for those useful comments, gents.

Jiminy crickets. People! If you think you are picking low hanging fruit in the thread and trying to spike the ball, think again. Read the prior comments before opening mouth and inserting foot.
I stated my interest when I reopened this thread days ago. I have an —>existing <—-
Getz barrel that can use some additional swamping. Probably shave six ounces off, maybe more. Hoyt says he is not taking any new work until May. Colerain is backed up. I was simply curious about John’s ability to do this particular work on this particular finished barrel with his name on it. That is all. The few useful comments here have jibed with my notion to simply stop in with barrel in hand and ask if he can and will try to remove a bit more weight while I wait. Thank you for those useful comments, gents.
I've told you 4 times he's in a wheelchair now. I doubt he can even access his shop, let alone operate any machinery.
Did he have a table at the show you were at?

Some folks unfortunately some folks just do not want to listen or cannot comprehend the English language.

I guess I’m easily fooled, because when a business advertises its wares and services, I tend to believe they mean it. Maybe Getz had a booth at the 18th Century Artisans Show just for old times’ sake and to show his support. But he didn’t communicate anything about being unable to deliver his goods and services. I go to this show and the former Dixon’s show every year, and watching Getz physically deteriorate over the past five or seven years has been sad. I’ve heard the same reports about failure to deliver from people who live right down the road from him. I guess I want to believe that a person who advertises in public means it. Maybe he’s just doing the wishful thinking thing.
I wouldn't recommend him at all. He came to me wanting to make barrels for me because I was a new builder
WouldTalk My ear off
I heard all the horror stories about him so I told him I'll agree to have 2 barrels made
For customers guns but I'll Drive and pick them up And pay for them in cash at time of pickup. He strung me along for 4 months and said they were ready in a few days
Few days went by and he wouldn't answer me. Went dark on his end. Was bragging tk people that he was making me barrels
I for one have never seen these barrels 3 yesrs later that he claimed to have made. He also stole a barrel From a friend of mine who sent it to him for work. Even claims he never talked to the guy but tracking showed it dropped Off At his business. He scooted on by my table at the 18th Century Artisan Show in his wheel chair and wouldn't even look at me... it's sad what he has done to his fathers business

I've told you 4 times he's in a wheelchair now. I doubt he can even access his shop, let alone operate any machinery.
Did he have a table at the show you were at?
I replied to your questions and in order to make yourself appear important, you have ignored my responses. Ignored for acting like a pompous know it all

I wouldn't recommend him at all. He came to me wanting to make barrels for me because I was a new builder
WouldTalk My ear off
I heard all the horror stories about him so I told him I'll agree to have 2 barrels made
For customers guns but I'll Drive and pick them up And pay for them in cash at time of pickup. He strung me along for 4 months and said they were ready in a few days
Few days went by and he wouldn't answer me. Went dark on his end. Was bragging tk people that he was making me barrels
I for one have never seen these barrels 3 yesrs later that he claimed to have made. He also stole a barrel From a friend of mine who sent it to him for work. Even claims he never talked to the guy but tracking showed it dropped Off At his business. He scooted on by my table at the 18th Century Artisan Show in his wheel chair and wouldn't even look at me... it's sad what he has done to his fathers business
I think a lot of people in our “field” or area of interest here are really good people, and we want to believe others are good like us. I also saw Getz at the 18th Century Artisans Show last month, and he had a table out, as if he was fully in business. It’s difficult for good people to comprehend the mindset of a person who falsely advertises or who takes things from others. I go by his business pretty frequently and I have thought about dropping by to talk with him about maybe milling off a bit from this GETZ barrel while I’m there with him in the shop. For those who are hard of thinking, neither John Getz nor any other barrel maker uses his leg to run the milling machine. It’s strictly a hands-on operation, and it’s one I would be willing to help with, if the proprietor wanted to do the job with the customer. Kind of raises the question about who will end up with the contents of his shop. Maybe that’s the discussion to have next time I drive by there…but your advice is taken, thank you. Best to not be fooled by empty promises.

Latest posts

Back