• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Is FFFG the Cause

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sage1

32 Cal
Reaction score
Been working on sighting in my TC Hawken. Accuracy is good with 70gr of 3F Triple 7. But the patches are looking pretty poor. Burned through and very frayed. Patches are pre-lube pillow ticking. Thinking the cause may be the increased burn rate of the 3F. Good assumption or ?

Attachments

• IMG_5125.jpeg
    IMG_5125.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_5122.jpeg
    IMG_5122.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5121.jpeg
    IMG_5121.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Primary culprit is likely your patch thickness/ball diameter combination, or lube. All three have to work together.
If accuracy is good, the fraying patches are not a HUGE concern. The correct combination will likely pull that flyer into the group.

ADK Bigfoot

@Sage1, I expect to see some fraying of the patches around the edges. I am not a fan of prelubricated patches. Often these have been sitting on shelves and the lubricant will accelerate the deterioration of the patches. You have two patches that appear to be in reasonable as shot configuration. Then there are two that are shredded as if the patch material was not able to hold the gasses of the combustion of the powder charge and were too thin to provide a suitable gas seal. If you are shooting a new rifle, the crown may be cutting the prelubed patches. The hole at the circumference of the ball is indicative of a sharp crown cutting patches of poor integrity. New rifles with sharp edges on the lands will cut patches with the result being a shredded patch. Often with the sharp land condition there will be pin holes in the patch where the lands cut the patch.

My suggestion is smaller diameter balls, thicker patches to be lubricated before loading and maybe reducing the powder charge.

SMR Patches 1.jpg
SMR Patches 2.jpg

These patches are shown from the top as the side at next to the ignited charge and the second set are next to the ball. My patches are the ever so notorious #40 cotton drill cloth from JoAnn's Fabrics, lubricated just before cutting at the muzzle.

Last edited:
Primary culprit is likely your patch thickness/ball diameter combination, or lube. All three have to work together.
If accuracy is good, the fraying patches are not a HUGE concern. The correct combination will likely pull that flyer into the group.

ADK Bigfoot
Thanks, I’m shooting a .490 ball and I think the patches are .015. But could be .018.

Here we call it “powdered wheat” because “creamed” doesn’t make any sense.
I never heard it called ‘powdered’ wheat. And there is a long list of manufacturers to contact about changing or correcting their packaging from calling it ‘creamed’ to ‘powdered’ wheat.
1713285681192.png

I never heard it called ‘powdered’ wheat. And there is a long list of manufacturers to contact about changing or correcting their packaging from calling it ‘creamed’ to ‘powdered’ wheat.View attachment 312935

Sir,

I understand. But “creamed” to me means it is mixed with an agent such as milk or cream. Such as “creamed icing” made with creamed cheese and sugar.

The wheat is so-called “creamed wheat” isn’t actually creamed at all. It’s simply powdered.

My $0.02

Triple 7 is a hot burning powder, so that may be your main cause for burnt patches. too thin of a patch or load combination is the other main cause for patch burning, add lube to that equation. When done shooting the pre-lubed patches, start using material that you lube as you shoot.

Am I seeing a group that’s somewhere around 1 1/4”? If you were 50 yards away and unless my eyes are playing tricks on me I wouldn’t care if the patches came out looking like confetti if it shot that good.

Vista Id. is one of my good customers. They are churning out more boom boom products, not caps, than they ever have. They are adding more tooling than they ever have, they are running more presses than they ever have. All this started about 3/4 years ago. If they have an option to run, for example, 2 million 06 rounds or 2 million caps. The decision is very easy. There is no wacky conspiracy involved in any of it. Extreme hoarding is what causes shortages.

Probably sound stupid but do you just pour it down the barrel over the powder?
Yes, powder, pour in an amount about half of your powder charge, then ball on top of that.

When I worked up the best load after building my rifle, I found that using 30 grains of Cream of Wheat as a filler between the black powder & patched ball DEFINITELY resulted in a tighter group. I don't really care what the patch looks like after firing as long as it isn't on fire or smoldering (I don't want to start a forest fire).

To my eyes I would look at your lube. It looks like your patches are starving for more lube or a different type of lube. Your patch thickness and ball diameter sounds about right. Might try increasing the patch thickness to 0.023". If it does not require pounding the ball into the muzzle.

Time for my devils deciple role.

If your patches are cut, burned through or shredded there's only a few possible causes; tearing at the Muzzle when loading, getting sliced by sharp edges when loading or shooting, an under sized patch or a patch too thin.

It's NOT a lube problem. When your bore, muzzle and patch size are right you can shoot without lube and your patches will not be damaged.

Fillers. Over powder wads, etc might help but they are just band aides. When the muzzle, bore and patch are right you will be able to shoot max charges without wrecked patches. Shooting max charges may not be your goal but it is a test of gun condition and patching. Thereafter you need not worry about that aspect of your loading and can play with the other variables.

Feeling cranky today 😕

Back