• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Is .45 enough for black bear?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My opinion: if you are going after bear, and assuming you can hit your target, use more, not less, or probably. Creatures feel pain, and suffer, and hunters that leave long blood trails bring heat to responsible hunters. Shouldn't have to be said.

I don't know about a 45 but my buddy got this one on the Maine turnpike with his 2013 Chevrolet Silverado. (Not sure if the truck is an unmentionable)

Attachments

• IMG_1679.jpg
    IMG_1679.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 61
I would use a bigger cal. at least a 54 - .62 would be a better choice big holes make for short trailing, larger bears have a greater layer of fat, dense hair and thick tough bones. thus the chance of a poor blood trail with a small ca. totally different from a white tail, also a large bear will set tight to the ground think 55 gal. drum with short legs making shot placement tough in the lung heart area. Also depending on the terrain you would be hunting I for one would not want to trail a wounded bear in thick brush with a limited blood trail. Shot with a .45 cal might get interesting. Just saying

Back