• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ironing Patching?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it wasn't for the sizing/starch they put put on it, I wouldn't have to wash it. Since I have to wash it, I use elbow grease and a hot iron steam iron to straighten it out. Irons go way back, they use to heat them on wood burning stoves, or fires to iron clothes. They came in different weights and sizes. Got a couple of the old ones setting on my stair steps now, they make a good door prop. DANNY

I have noticed thicker patch material creases in the washing alot. Dinna reckon I'd iron it out though. Unless you are a very serious competition shooter.

I don't think I have ironed patching in 47 years of shooting muzzle loaders. I doubt I start now. The balls don't seem to care.

I pride myself on being cheap, so I stretch my patching as far as I can. I bought enough material to make a couple pairs of pants, and shirts. Give them a dye job so you don't look like Grandpa Jones hunting a banjo, and wear them until you've used up the good in them. Even after they are worn, the back of the legs and such will still have good material to shoot.

20220107_211741.jpg

I found this Civil War era Ticking patch iron, while searching for artifacts. I believe it is an officers model and very rare. Fits nicely in most bags!

Crockford,

I think that is one of the smallest old iron I have ever seen, going by the width of that pillow ticking. DANNY

Danny,
It is a miniature iron of some sort. I actually found it in an area that I search for Indian artifacts. There was a small settlement close to the area in the early 1800's, other than that nothing for a few miles. I have no idea what it could have been used for back then. The older gentlemen that I would hunt artifacts with said in a laughing matter when I pulled it out of the ground that it was a "travel iron" then said maybe a salesman sample or store display? But I reall have no Idea.

After I posted my wife was telling me that her mom said, when she was little, she had a Child's Iron to play with. Just like we have miniaturize kitchenware for kids today to cook with Mom. It may have been one that a child played ironing with, while Mom was ironing? It is interesting how like the one you show, some have a double pointed ends and some have a pointed end a flat end like today's irons. Might have been able to crack nuts with it? DANNY

Back