• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Iridescent balls

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To each their own, I bought some supposed to be lead back a few years ago, after casting within a short amount of time they actually expanded enough to cause issues when loading.. got rid of that manure.

I have used pure lead from Rotometals ever since.
Rotometals is very reliable. Fast service, also.

Tin does not separate and float to the top.

Some depletion of tin and antimony may occur in a ternary mix, but this is still debated. Some have reduced oxidized pot skimmings with greas/wax/oil and had the resulting metal assayed to find similar composition to the parent alloy. However, I have also read that Line-o-Type operators had to add tin/antimony rich "sweetener" alloy to the vat in order to counteract loss through oxidation and skimming dross, and I have obtained Line-o-Type ingots that were indeed very depleted, so there may be a disproportionately high loss of tin and antimony content through oxidation.

I use X-ray room shielding also and have several hundred pounds. Like several have said it’s almost too hot. I just switched from and old small LEE electric pot that didn’t get hot enough for me even when maxed out. It would not color the lead and made hardly any dross on top. Broke out a new LEE magnum pot that gets hotter than hades. It will color the lead at half the rage setting and make purple balls that are beautiful but lots of dross on top at the sake of overheating the melt. Pure lead needs to be almost too hot to get a good mold fill with no defects. Tin greatly aids in fill out and is why Linotype was made.

There’s nothing wrong with that lead.

Cast faster. More cycles per minute = hotter mould. Hotter mould = more alloy flow before it freezes. Tin makes the metal more fluid and lowers the melting point of lead, which also helps fillout, but it isn't always needed.

I call this book the Lead Bible.

Lead and Lead Alloys Properties and Technology 1970 - Wilhelm Hofmann
English Translation, Lead Development Association, London
ISBN 978-3-662-27030-1
SBN 978-3-662-28508-4 (eBook)

This is the English translation of the 2nd German edition, 551-pages. I'm sure there are editions and translations available that are newer than my copy.

That is very cool.

Lead absorbing the x-ray stuff that's not supposed to get to us humans?

And wheel weights are bad for muzzzleloaders.

If your gun doesn't blow from not using pure lead, the projectiles will be so inaccurate that you won't be able to keep them in the same zip code when shot at a target.
What are you talking about??

I have run into this for the third time now whenever melting sheet lead from xray rooms.
Regardless of temp, as soon as it melts it goes pretty rainbow colors.

Has anyone else noticed this?

I run thus same setup with wheel weights or other lead sources and this doesn't happen.
Your not the only one, this happened to me this last week, lead was extremely dirty.

Back