• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Iridescent balls

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have run into this for the third time now whenever melting sheet lead from xray rooms.
Regardless of temp, as soon as it melts it goes pretty rainbow colors.

Has anyone else noticed this?

I run thus same setup with wheel weights or other lead sources and this doesn't happen.

Attachments

• 20230702_074001.jpg
    20230702_074001.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 6
  • 20230702_073955.jpg
    20230702_073955.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230702_073950.jpg
    20230702_073950.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
That is very cool.

Lead absorbing the x-ray stuff that's not supposed to get to us humans?

And wheel weights are bad for muzzzleloaders.

If your gun doesn't blow from not using pure lead, the projectiles will be so inaccurate that you won't be able to keep them in the same zip code when shot at a target.

So the wheel weights are for projectiles on the front of cartridges. I have cast many hundreds of pounds of WW's. I only mentioned it as a comparison.

I only run soft lead in my ML's

That is very cool.

Lead absorbing the x-ray stuff that's not supposed to get to us humans?

If your gun doesn't blow from not using pure lead, the projectiles will be so inaccurate that you won't be able to keep them in the same zip code when shot at a target.
Question.
If I put a round rock in a patch, and it never touches the barrel, how does it exactly hurt the gun? So If I put wayyy softer WW lead in a cloth patch how does that hurt the barrel? Or "blow"?

I run pure lead because I have access to all I could ever shoot. But if WW was what I could get, well then wrap it ticking and have fun.
The ball should never touch the steel, if yours does, you are doing it wrong.

Question.
If I put a round rock in a patch, and it never touches the barrel, how does it exactly hurt the gun? So If I put wayyy softer WW lead in a cloth patch how does that hurt the barrel? Or "blow"?

I run pure lead because I have access to all I could ever shoot. But if WW was what I could get, well then wrap it ticking and have fun.
It was sarcasm. Due to the ongoing and never-ending debate over wheel weights and muzzleloaders.

Your gun won't blow up.

And wheel weights provide fine accuracy in muzzleloaders. Soft lead is soft lead. Regardless of source.

To each their own, I bought some supposed to be lead back a few years ago, after casting within a short amount of time they actually expanded enough to cause issues when loading.. got rid of that manure.

I have used pure lead from Rotometals ever since.

Wrong thread! 🤣 😈

I get the rainbow effect with the last batch of lead from the recycler. It's mostly roofing flashing. Quite soft and they shoot great on sunny days but only fair on cloudy days. ⛅

To avoid that rainbow sheen, try putting on your rose colored glasses, or thone small, square blue granny glasses. That should filter out those various hues.

Just make sure you’re sitting down, crossed legged on the floor and surrounded by pillows. If the room starts spinning, and you see Linc, Julie and that other blooming idiot from the Mod Squad, you will know you’re in trouble. At least you’ll have a soft landing. :eek::doh::cool:

Question.

Exactly right I do not know why others cant understand this

Back