• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lead Powder Bag

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Griz44Mag

70 Cal.
Reaction score
I ran across a collector with a half dozen or so powder "bags" made of lead.
Said he got them from his father who got them from a trader in merry old England during WWII. They were already very old.
The bag was a sheet of lead folded around a die of sorts, then rolled and flattened the edges to seal them, filled with powder and stamped with the weight. The small remaining corner flap was rolled tight and dipped in what I think was probably bees wax.
The idea was that you could carry them anywhere - they were sealed and totally weatherproof.
When you need powder and balls, you opened the bag, poured the powder in your horn or flask, melted the bag in your fireplace ladle and poured balls with the lead. The idea was to have enough lead and enough powder to make a shooting bag and horn full of your carry ammunition.
He had no idea how old they were, but a little bit of recon I could find on the internet indicated the idea goes back to almost medieval times.
Anyone else seen these or happen to have some references to them?
The idea intrigues me.
After I left I kicked myself for not taking pictures. He wanted a fortune for them, and likely worth it since they are likely several hundreds of years old.

Sounds like a miniature version of how Lewis and Clark carried their powder and lead.

Wonder if the maker copied what they did?

Sounds like a miniature version of how Lewis and Clark carried their powder and lead.

Wonder if the maker copied what they did?
No idea.
What I do know is that the condition of the lead told me that they were very-very old.
The lead was heavily oxidized - looked like some of the old Roman lead goblets that had been buried for several centuries.
I asked if he had ever opened one of them up, he said no. His father said he opened one when he got them to see what it was it was gunpowder. I would love to see what the powder looks like.
I'm going to go look for examples of the Lewis and Clark powder kegs....

From my reading, they buried them in selected places for their return trip home.

Lewis and Clark,
4# of powder and 8# of lead for each of 52 containers, made specifically for the expedition.
(Plus an air rifle)
Cool. Thank you!
These looked more like a small possibles bag with folded and rolled edges. but yes - the same principle.
I did find one reference to a lead powder bag found in an excavation dated 1399.
I had just never heard of it before, so it intrigued me.

You are welcome.

I have 2 new books coming on L&C, one is on the medical treatments they used to stay healthy and alive.

Reading beats Fox news.

Back