• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Investarms double set triggers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnwm

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm just going to quote a paragraph from a post on another thread, which I don't want to high-jack:

The adjustment screw between the triggers is too short (and therefore nonfunctional) on Investarms trigger units. At the very least, you have to track down the right metric screw. But because those available are either too long or too short, you end up cutting the longer one down to size. And oh, by the way. They're also chromed and you either have to live with it or get rid of it.

Okay, what's chromed? I have an Investarms Trade-type rifle, which has a double set trigger with a screw that I can adjust to get a beautiful crips pull and let-off. I also have a Lyman GPR, which has a double trigger unit that looks identical to the Investarms-marked gun, but the screw is indeed much longer and cannot be turned in far enough to achieve a correct pull. I was about to dress that screw down to duplicate the other trigger, but now I am hesitant. It's definitely not chromed...is there any reason not to proceed with my plan?

On a related note, I also have a Lyman Deerstalker carbine, with a fairly crappy single trigger. Can I expect to be able to improve this significantly by polishing the bits and pieces? To be honest, I am actually expecting to ruin it completely and then need a replacement...is there anything that is recommended for this purpose? I don't necessarily need a double set trigger, but maybe a single-set would be nice.

Any thoughts would be welcome.

The chromed screw was the only "replacement" I could find in local hardware store. Might not even be "chrome," but it's sure silver. Another source would be useful, for sure, but I haven't found it yet.

Is it possible they were talking about a Stainless Steel Deerstalker model?

Has stainless and chromed parts..

(missed your part about replacement triggers).

Davis makes a pretty decent double set that can be retrofit to Lyman's (Deerslayer).

Muzzleloader builder's supply has an awesome single set trigger (two different plate sizes) that you could fit (a bit off wood and metal fitting) - outstanding single trigger if you want the set function but runs about 75 bucks (don't know your budget here). A more traditional single trigger can be had for about 20 - 30 bucks.

I would first try to rework/tune the factory triggers. They aren't "bad" just often hastily assembled - then if you jigger them up, go for the replacement.

johnwm said:
And oh, by the way. They're also chromed and you either have to live with it or get rid of it.
[/i]
OK, don't know why the guy said chromed, most screws from the hardware store are plated, as in chrome or silver colored,, not a big deal for such a tiny screw. If someone else points out the out of place tiny colored screw between your triggers,, the guy is a fruitcake.

but the screw is indeed much longer and cannot be turned in far enough to achieve a correct pull.
This is confusing, a "too long screw" can't be turned in far enough??
The problem is usually the screw is too short to be turned in far enough. Change it out for a longer one.

with a fairly crappy single trigger. Can I expect to be able to improve this significantly by polishing the bits and pieces?
Not really, those single trigger job's on those rifles and the TC push directly on the sear arm, re-working the single trigger doesn't do much.

The "chrome" on screws bought at most hardware stores is usually cadmium but sometimes it is nickle.

In either case, holding the screw in a flame until it is red hot and then allowing it to air cool to room temperature will burn off the plating.

After this is done, apply a light coating of oil to prevent any rusting.

If it is possible, do this outside and stand upwind from the screw. The metallic vapors are really bad for your body.

CAUTION! burning off cadmium produces a toxic fume. Make sure you have adequate ventilation! :hmm: :hmm:

I think that nowadays the majority of fasteners found in hardware stores will be zinc plated. Most platers, at least in my area, no longer do cadmium because of he toxicity hassles. My company use to use cadmium years ago but now it's usually zinc with clear chromate, zinc with yellow chromate (looks kinda gold) or just nickel plating. There's always flash chrome for some uses but that's expensive.

Back